Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2015 11:51:03 PM EDT
Remove the plastic tabs on both sides to allow the magazine follower travelling all the way to the top.

Drilled and installed the screw.

Tapco modified follower installed.

Tapco magazine follower (right) is thicker & stronger than WeaponTech AK47 BHO followers (left).

With WeaponTech follower installed

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice design. Look forward to a range report.

Think there will be any issues with the screw head being rounded and cross?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I did not have a chance to hit the range to test my modified follower. To simulate and test the durability of the modified follower, I pulled my AK charging handle to the back as far as I could and let it slammed forward for more than 20 times. My modified follower caught the bolt and kept it stay open flawless every time.

I disassembled my Tapco magazine to inspect the follower. Visual inspection, I did not see any damage to the follower. It looks as good as new. On the other hand, I noticed a tiny horizontal mark on the screw, no other damage to the screw. 20 times of simulation for BHO is equal to 600 rounds of feeding from the same magazine. As the result of the test, I can conclude that my modified follower can stand up for at least another 100 times of BHO. To add more strength to my modified follower, I added some J-B weld to the inside of the follower.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool to see such creativity...I think I'll have to try one such conversion myself!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To add more strength to my modified follower, I added some J-B weld to the inside of the follower.
View Quote

As I was reading the thread - I was going to recommend you do this.  Glad to read you did it!

Any spec's on the screw you used?  Length, TPI, etc.

Kudos, and great idea.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
6x3/4 hex washer head sheet metal

I got them from Lowes.

Make sure you drill the pilot hole with 1/8 drill bit first. You may need to remove some plastic where the screw head rest on for Tapco smooth side magazine because the follower is very tie fit.

Quoted:
As I was reading the thread - I was going to recommend you do this.  Glad to read you did it!

Kudos, and great idea.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To add more strength to my modified follower, I added some J-B weld to the inside of the follower.

Kudos, and great idea.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

6x3/4 hex washer head sheet metal

I got them from Lowes.

Make sure you drill the pilot hole with 1/8 drill bit first. You may need to remove some plastic where the screw head rest on for Tapco smooth side magazine because the follower is very tie fit.

View Quote
Thanks for the info!

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had completed converting all my Tapco AK47 magazines to have BHO features. Total cost for every things is under 8 bucks each (including the magazine). From my observation, it looks as good as WeaponTech BHO follower with 3 US compliance parts.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice project for me when I get home, but I'd like to do that on AK74 magazines.

If one were to do this on a foreign made follower, at what point would the product be considered US made?

If one were to take a foreign made product and alter it in function and appearance, at what point is the finished product considered a domestic product?

I could see Childers Guns starting with a Polish receiver blank and completes it as a 100% receiver.  Now it is a US made receiver.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice project for me when I get home, but I'd like to do that on AK74 magazines.

If one were to do this on a foreign made follower, at what point would the product be considered US made?

If one were to take a foreign made product and alter it in function and appearance, at what point is the finished product considered a domestic product?

I could see Childers Guns starting with a Polish receiver blank and completes it as a 100% receiver.  Now it is a US made receiver.

View Quote

If enough work is done to a foreign part it may be able to be called US maufactured -- some bike manufacturer painted/ plated bike frames and got away with them as being US manufactered. a ways back.  I wouldn't even bother trying for 922r compliance on a similar mod for foreign mags or other parts. BATF makes up rules as they go with no real regard or concern to other Govt regs. About 0% percent chance they'd go for it. Although if the receiver blank starts at 80% - Might work.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top