Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 3:44:33 PM EDT
Getting an Arsenal SAM7SF in the next month.....

Do all AK mags fit all rifles the same?

I hear of some being loose, etc..... What are the best kinds to get online (i.e. sight unseen and without trying in)?
Are there any to stay away from?

This may have been asked before but I did not see in my brief search!
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No, AK mags are not necessarily universal.

I would get some from K-Var to be sure.

Bulgarians should fit, but it's trial and error IME, especially with a milled receiver:  they seem to be less tolerant of tolerances.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the yugo bho mags.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yugo BHO, or steel surplus
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
bakelites and circle 10 waffles

both expensive, both reliable, both durable, both look cool!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to SGAmmo.com or aimsurplus.com and get European surplus steel. Relatively inexpensive, indestructible, highly functional. I have a SAM7R and they fit in that rifle, at least, far better than most polymer mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
European steel surplus, Circle 10's, bakelites, imo avoid the Koreans when you can get Romanian, Yugo, Russian, etc. Those are a pain to get here in Cali I have a handful but I've had exceptionally good luck with the Magpul AK Pmags but they don't have reinforced feed lips or locking lugs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
My 107 likes Bulgarian Circle 10's, so that's what I stock up on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Circle 10 Magazines are the way to go- - Magpul / US Palm work in my Arsenal Sam 7SF, but not in my Arsenal Sam 7R.

I did not realize AK 's rifles where Magazine sensitive / picky.

I'm new to the AK thing too
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Circle 10 Magazines are the way to go- - Magpul / US Palm work in my Sam 7SF, but not in my Sam 7R.

View Quote

I think its mostly due to how loose tolerances are and the so many different variations, slightly different manufacturing specs, QC or lack of, etc. My WASR 10/63 has been 100% reliable with any and every mag I have used in it
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
SGAmmo.com has sets of 10 steel combloc mags in excellent condition for around $120 or very good for around $80
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
The state I live in - I'm not able to try different mags to see which one will work with this rifle.  Will be on consignment tomorrow at my local store.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from Tapco brand. I have a LOT of them and they suck for several reasons.

Magpul has excellent products, but if you want for the next "Gen" to come out, I just about bet you that you will see some steel reinforcing that you don't see in the current generation. There is at least one Youtube video of a guy breaking one in a drop test. Not to say they are junk. Just not up to par with what else is out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Bakelite FTW, and avoid the Korean and Croatian if you can. Yugo BHO mags are in high regard with most people, but I personally don't like them. Yeah it locks back after the last round goes out the pipe, but as soon as the Yugo mag is removed...WHAM! Bolt goes home before you reload. Magpul mags have worked awesome i and love the feel of them, and tapcos have also all been 100% but i hate the feel of them. YMMV of course....good luck
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I personally like the 7.62 x 39mm, Bulgarian polymer 30-rd magazine with metal reinforced feed lips, Steel lugs. About $25 less than the circle 10.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Bakelite FTW, and avoid the Korean and Croatian if you can. Yugo BHO mags are in high regard with most people, but I personally don't like them. Yeah it locks back after the last round goes out the pipe, but as soon as the Yugo mag is removed...WHAM! Bolt goes home before you reload. Magpul mags have worked awesome i and love the feel of them, and tapcos have also all been 100% but i hate the feel of them. YMMV of course....good luck
View Quote

What's wrong with the Croatian mags? I was thinking of picking some up to try.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#16]
People are having issues with them fitting and locking up properly in their rifles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Circle 10 Magazines are the way to go- - Magpul / US Palm work in my Arsenal Sam 7SF, but not in my Arsenal Sam 7R.

View Quote

AK's aren't picky or sensitive to magazines, its more that you might have to file a mag down a bit to fit some rifles.  I have never had a single issue with any AK and surplus mags.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I personally like the 7.62 x 39mm, Bulgarian polymer 30-rd magazine with metal reinforced feed lips, Steel lugs. About $25 less than the circle 10.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/D/bulgarian-mag-01.jpg
View Quote

I had heard these weren't that reliable. How has your experience been with them? How many rounds thru one?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

These don't fit in either of my Arsenal rifles(one is Russian, one is Bulgarian) without a good amount of filing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks all. Ordered 10 of the circle 10s....May try some others later.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I had heard these weren't that reliable. How has your experience been with them? How many rounds thru one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a bunch so I'm not sure how many rounds through one. I've put a bunch of rounds through them without any issues.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

These don't fit in either of my Arsenal rifles(one is Russian, one is Bulgarian) without a good amount of filing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Odd. Mine fit my Russian's, Bulgarians, Romanians, and Hungarian's.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#23]
(10) (21)
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I had to do a small amount of filing for my romy wasr.

but I do like them
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top