Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 9:50:48 PM EDT
I have nine Circle 10 clear mags for my SLR106 (5.56X45) and all of them have hairline cracks in the polymer running back from the front locking lug on both sides of the mags. I don't know when they started or how fast they have spread. What I am wondering is if anyone has had these cracks run all the way up to the top of the mag and how long it took to happen and how it happened ie normal use, dropping loaded mag etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a few but haven't ran them hard,never dropped, any abuse at all. That sucks about your mags since they cost $40+ each. Iirc I had one I left loaded before I pcs'ed to Korea that's been loaded for 14 months and I'm going home in 2 weeks. I'll post I this thread again if I did in fact leave it loaded.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you post pics?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a few but haven't ran them hard,never dropped, any abuse at all. That sucks about your mags since they cost $40+ each. Iirc I had one I left loaded before I pcs'ed to Korea that's been loaded for 14 months and I'm going home in 2 weeks. I'll post I this thread again if I did in fact leave it loaded.
View Quote

Yeah I run everything I own hard except antiques but I still regularly shoot those which most people would probably never consider. I used to do my mag changes with these where you use your reload to first trip the mag catch and push the empty out of the way which of course hits the deck with som gusto.

I guess the way I look at things are 1. I wont be young forever and be able to really run these guns like they were meant to be. 2. I really think there will come a day when we wont be able to own this stuff or at least be able to afford to shoot it or even have a place where we are allowed to. So I go out and shoot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
You can see the cracks running back from the bottom of the front lug on either side. All nine of them have this going on to some extent.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]
In all honesty, I don't think it's a concern.  Plastic will haze, craze and micro crack over time.  As long as they don't go all the way through and cause it to crack and splinter...you should be good to go.

I've got 4 clear 30's and 2 clear 20's...the bulk of mine are black.  The clears have normal cosmetic fissures.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In all honesty, I don't think it's a concern.  Plastic will haze, craze and micro crack over time.  As long as they don't go all the way through and cause it to crack and splinter...you should be good to go.

I've got 4 clear 30's and 2 clear 20's...the bulk of mine are black.  The clears have normal cosmetic fissures.
View Quote

Ok. I was thinking they were cosmetic because where they are comming from  an area that is totally supported in the mag well by the metal tab.

I will either buy 7 black mags or the mag well from Texas AK desings
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Let us know if you go with the Magwell?  I'm curious, but I'm probably going to stick with circle, mags or polish when I can find deals.  Heck, I'd love to try some of the green translucent Random ones without the metal lugs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several and no cracks (Unlike the Polish ones that developed cracks by themselves due to the pressure of the spring).  My guess is that those cracks were from being dropped on pavement or some other type of rough handling/use.  

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=130192
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I'm not sure what I will do right now. I will probably get both the mag well and some black polish mags. The mag well makes more sense since I have a lot of AR mags already but my OCD wont allow me to not get some more black mags since they look better in the gun
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Paint them so you can't see the cracks anymore.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Paint them so you can't see the cracks anymore.

Problem solved.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The cracking issue is overblown. Let us know when your magazines fail completely.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Well plan on getting some black circle 10's or beryls before that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine were doing that as well so I sold off the clears and got the black ones. I also like having steel in the feed lips.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mine were doing that as well so I sold off the clears and got the black ones. I also like having steel in the feed lips.
View Quote

Were your clear magazines Gen. I mags?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you tell what gen they are?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so, I bought them at the same time as my 106FR when they first came out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think so, I bought them at the same time as my 106FR when they first came out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you tell what gen they are?
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]
seen tons of pics showing the cracks and my 2 clear mags show them as well but I dont recall seeing any that have failed,I was bummed/pissed when I first noticed the cracks in mine but they havent changed in several years of being used.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I've snapped the rear tab on a couple. Sorry no pix.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah... good thing I only bought one... The blacks are better. Mine cracked before I ever used it. I put a spot of Crazy Glue over it :/
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've snapped the rear tab on a couple. Sorry no pix.
View Quote

then it didnt happen
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had the same problem, with no functioning problem so far...but it looks bad, especially since so many folks sing the praises of these mags.,  and yes they are newer gen mags.  None were mistreated or dropped.

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The cracking issue is overblown. Let us know when your magazines fail completely.
View Quote

There's a reason they weren't fielded in 7.62

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I had about 5 that had cracks just like yours. They were also the clear ones also. I kept the parts and sold the bodies during the ban scare.
If you decide to get rid of those,give me a shout.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've had the same problem, with no functioning problem so far...but it looks bad, especially since so many folks sing the praises of these mags.,  and yes they are newer gen mags.  None were mistreated or dropped.

<a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/user/garum/media/IMG_6196_zps5c03a3ab.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/garum/IMG_6196_zps5c03a3ab.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/user/garum/media/IMG_6195_zps310f53c2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/garum/IMG_6195_zps310f53c2.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thanks. Great pics of someone else's mags that are having the same problems as mine. I feel better knowing that mine should be fine. especially when you consider mine have been dropped and rough handled quite a bit and the cracks are all much smaller.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top