BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2014 12:58:04 PM EDT

For those that don't know, Magpul announced their AK PMAG is headed out to the masses.     Here's a review of a advanced sample I got my paws on:

Pros:
-100% reliability in 5 rifles tested in
-Durable, Magpul quality
-Gen M3 PMAG marking system
-Grooves in the follower line up with grooves in the mag body to create a follower that is virtually impossible to generate tilt on.
-922r points
-Flared floorplate for pulling out of mag pouches

Cons:
-The big one is that there is no steel reinforcements.    But, it's coming….

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice review, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks again for the reviews!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool deal, in for part II and the inimitable Mrgunsandgear drop test !

Waiting for the metal re-inforced models before I buy, but these look like they may be a great alternative to Pormags and Crapcos for range mags?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it bad I plan on buying some of these and I dont even have an AK?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it bad I plan on buying some of these and I dont even have an AK?
View Quote

No I know a guy with 60 Pmags and he doesn't own an AR .....yet
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice review I hope you all go out and purchase these and leave the surplus ones for me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#9]
With Magpul's reputation, I'm sure the mags are durable. With quality polymers, metal reinforcements are not required. The Polish Beryl mags lack metal reinforcements and work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
How much spring is there compared to surplus? The tapcos have a shorter weaker spring.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm more excited to see if they keep the design the same when they make the steel reinforcements

I like the grooves for the follower and the other magpul designs

hopefully they keep this up and make some 5.45 mags too
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With Magpul's reputation, I'm sure the mags are durable. With quality polymers, metal reinforcements are not required. The Polish Beryl mags lack metal reinforcements and work just fine.
View Quote

I disagree with you

magpul needs to release the metal reinforcement mags

hopefully they will directly compete with (10) mags

these are glorified tapco mags
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Price been released yet?
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Price been released yet?
View Quote

$13.95
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I would really like a 5.56 one I lucked out and bought circle 10 mags for $30ea and now the cheapest I can find them is $45 magpul would have done better IMHO with 5.45 and 5.56 ak mags their is already a good supply of cheap 7.62 mags
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]
COOL

Is MAGPUL planning on making a 5.45x39mm version ? ? ?

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#18]
It's a Radom 11 but he couldn't drop it because it wasn't his.  We ran from the Polish 11. I agree with the guy who called them glorified Tapcos.  Why bother? Apex has 3 steel for $40.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't understand. They are going to have both all-plastic and metal-reinforced-plastic magazines on the market? Or plastic mag 1.0 will be replaced by metal-reinf mag 2.0?
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I will buy them just so I can support a local company ;)
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't understand. They are going to have both all-plastic and metal-reinforced-plastic magazines on the market? Or plastic mag 1.0 will be replaced by metal-reinf mag 2.0?
View Quote

That's where I'm confused as well. But from what I understand they will have both and the non metal reinforced will be a little more expensive. I don't know why they are not just making all metal reinforced mags.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]
So the question is, where can i buy one that they are shipping now?
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#24]
+1 on hoping for a 5.56 version that fits the SLR-106.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Magpul took a year to develop and test this magazine, do you really think they're going to release a whole redesigned one within such a short time?

Also i found them for Pre-order: 13.25 Preorder Magpul AK pmag
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a friend selling me circle 10 for $25
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if once they add metal reinforcement to the AK mags if they will also do that with all the AR magazines and reinforce the lips with steel, maybe we see Magpul start making some serious strides here
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Magpul took a year to develop and test this magazine, do you really think they're going to release a whole redesigned one within such a short time?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did I say I wanted it in a short time?  Read my post again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

OK well I'll wait for metal reinf gen2. I just picked up some gen1s, they are called TAPCOs.

Or, I'll try not to hoard many more magazines than I'll ever bring to a shooting session. Naaaah.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OK well I'll wait for metal reinf gen2. I just picked up some gen1s, they are called TAPCOs.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Wait!... there's an ALL poly mag coming out?! It's about time someone made one of those!
Yeah, put me in the "pass" crowd. I'll wait for the metal reinforced ones.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#34]
AR PMags have no metal reinforcements and everyone loves them. I think Magpul knows how to make a great poly mag, as are the AK Polish Beryls.

Go ahead and wait while the rest of us get the AK PMags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#35]

<snip> no WTB in posts. Please read the Coc. dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
AR PMags have no metal reinforcements and everyone loves them. I think Magpul knows how to make a great poly mag, as are the AK Polish Beryls.

View Quote

I don't reckon you speak for everyone, I don't "love" Pmags, most of my mags are D&H, dang fine metal AR mags. And doesn't look like all "the rest of us" are buying the all plastic AK mags either.

I think the market has more than enough Tapco clones as it is, but i'm sure Magpul will sell a bunch of their own just because it says Magpul.

I'll wait for the metal re-inforced models, if I feel like trying the all-plastic mags, i'll wait until the initial gotta-have-em dies down and they start appearing used on the EE for a lot less, or when over-eager vendors who buy waaaaaaay too many have to start dumping cheap just to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

AR mags lock up quite a bit different than AK mags. There is alot more stress on the locking lugs on an AK mag vs an AR mag.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Think AK mags don't need metal reinforcements? Then sit back and enjoy this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqv1CQunIk

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what I understand, tehy will offer both versions.  The non metal is tehir MOE mag, to compete at a price point with Tapco, and those cheap Bulgys.  The emtal amgs will be at a different price point, to compete with US  Palm, Bulgy 10's, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Think AK mags don't need metal reinforcements? Then sit back and enjoy this video:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Most people don't use their Tapcos in such a fashion, doing magazines changes like that. Great for the range, but bound to break eventually with any hard use.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Most people don't use their Tapcos in such a fashion, doing magazines changes like that. Great for the range.
View Quote

And that's basically what the Magpul guy said here more or less. The all-plastics for range mags, the metal re-inforced for more serious use.

I will still need to see some extensive testing of the metal re-inforced mags before I consider them though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Saying the Magpul AK PMag will be a Tapco-clone mag is laughable.  

Putting Magpul in the same category as Tapco is hilarious.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

AR mags lock up quite a bit different than AK mags. There is alot more stress on the locking lugs on an AK mag vs an AR mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR mags lock up quite a bit different than AK mags.

Having run AKs since the early 80's I know how they lock up.

We'll see how the AK PMags hold up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't reckon you speak for everyone, I don't "love" Pmags, most of my mags are D&H, dang fine metal AR mags. And doesn't look like all "the rest of us" are buying the all plastic AK mags either.

I think the market has more than enough Tapco clones as it is, but i'm sure Magpul will sell a bunch of their own just because it says Magpul.

I'll wait for the metal re-inforced models, if I feel like trying the all-plastic mags, i'll wait until the initial gotta-have-em dies down and they start appearing used on the EE for a lot less, or when over-eager vendors who buy waaaaaaay too many have to start dumping cheap just to get rid of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm all in favor of minority rights. I support your 1st Amendment right to exaggerate my comments, your right to dislike Magpul, and your right to choose whatever AK mag you want to buy & use. But the facts are Magpul knows how to make a damn good AR mag and I think they want to keep their rep in the market place. So I think their AK PMag will be a good mag also. But time will tell on how good they hold up. Just don't compare them to Tapco.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm all in favor of minority rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And i'm all in favor of folks supporting Magpul, great company, I own quite a few of their products, so please, buy a ton of those plastic mags.

But you don't speak for everybody, that's just silly. And neither Magpul nor any other company will ever make a mag that's the equal of my 1mm thick steel Russian slabsides, and lemme tell ya, EVERYBODY loves a Russian slabside.

Quoted:
Just don't compare them to Tapco.

I don't think you get to tell me what I can and cannot compare them to.

Quoted:
your right to dislike Magpul,

I never said I disliked Magpul, you don't get to put words in my mouth. If you check the pics in various places on arfcom, you'll see a ton of Magpul products on my rifles. Save that kinda fanboy butthurt talk for GD, this is a technical forum.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And i'm all in favor of folks supporting Magpul, great company, I own quite a few of their products, so please, buy a ton of those plastic mags.

But you don't speak for everybody, that's just silly. And neither Magpul nor any other company will ever make a mag that's the equal of my 1mm thick steel Russian slabsides, and lemme tell ya, EVERYBODY loves a Russian slabside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say I spoke for everyone, you took my comments out of context.  

My favorite AK mags are Circle 10 & will compare the Magpul AK Pmag to them. If they don't hold up & then I won't buy any, but if they do they will be a lot cheaper than $45 per mag for Circle 10's.  Have fun with your slabsides.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I never said I disliked Magpul, you don't get to put words in my mouth. If you check the pics in various places on arfcom, you'll see a ton of Magpul products on my rifles. Save that kinda fanboy butthurt talk for GD, this is a technical forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just don't compare them to Tapco.

Quoted:
your right to dislike Magpul,

Your comments are real technical.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, did you not make the post I have quoted?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: I think the market has more than enough Tapco clones as it is, but i'm sure Magpul will sell a bunch of their own just because it says Magpul.

And you insinuated that Mapul AK Pmags were Tapco-clones. Right??

You like Russian slabsides, I like Circle 10's. I will give Magpul AK Pmags w/o metal reinforcements a try, you will wait for metal reinforcements.. Fords vs Chevys. That's what's great about America. Go ahead and do you want to do. If you want to get fuzzed up about this go right ahead. Enjoy your AK & be thankful we can still have them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top