Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Law Enforcement & Range Gear
Posted: 1/14/2013 1:13:47 PM
We recently got a Romanian military issue AK-47 drum in the shop for disassembly and can not figure out how to get the central spindle/spring assembly out without destroying the drum in the process. We need to remove this internal part so we can ship it as a repair kit to a California customer.

Anyone have any resources or hints that could help? All the youtube videos and online written instructions we've seen stop just short of removing the central assembly, and without removal of that part, this drum can still feed ammo and thus it's a no-go for shipment to CA.

Exile Machine LLC
Manufacturing & Sales
www.exilemachine.com
dcs12345
Mahna Mahna...
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/14/2013 1:29:50 PM
Since this one doesn't have pic, I cannot tell you it will work
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/54418_.html
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.
~John Adams
Exile_Machine
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/14/2013 3:23:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. We found those instructions early on in our search. They'll get us to the point we are now but the line:

Now you can remove the propellar and spring assembly, and the unit is a condition to enable easy cleaning.

...needs further explanation. How exactly is this assembly to be removed? It's not clear.
Exile Machine LLC
Manufacturing & Sales
www.exilemachine.com
dryflash3
Global Warming Hoax Skeptic before it was cool
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:54:48 PM
Just some guesses I'm throwing out there...

The part in the center of the mag that looks like a flat top cotter pin,

Looks like it may rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise to allow keeper to come off releasing the assembly.

Whether you pull up/push in first or just rotate this "cotter pin", I have no idea.

Use caution if you get this apart, that flat spring will come come out violently.

Good luck and thanks for trying to help a brother behind enemy lines. (ca)
Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam.

Shooting and Reloading, one hobby feeds the other.

Exile_Machine
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2013 12:33:07 PM
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Just some guesses I'm throwing out there...
The part in the center of the mag that looks like a flat top cotter pin,
Looks like it may rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise to allow keeper to come off releasing the assembly.

Thanks for the tip. That part on the top is riveted; can't remove it without destroying it. I went a different route. Since my goal was not necessarily to remove the spindle, but to render the drum incapable of feeding ammunition, I found a workaround that accomplishes this, and I'll post that here to help anyone else who comes along in the future trying to solve the same problem.

I started by poking a small screwdriver into the hole on the front, and rotating that knurled knob until it popped out.

This released the knob, allowing me to pull off the winding lever and internal springs.

Now the center wheel turns but cannot engage the spring, so it can not feed ammunition.
Exile Machine LLC
Manufacturing & Sales
www.exilemachine.com
dryflash3
Global Warming Hoax Skeptic before it was cool
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:53:23 PM
Those tricky commies, I was on the wrong end of that part.

Thanks for the update.
Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam.

Shooting and Reloading, one hobby feeds the other.