Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2016 12:11:45 PM EDT
Now that SGammo has Wolf milspec HP, FMJ and Spam sealed FMJ 7.62x39mm ammo as well as GT, what is the best of the three for accuracy and SD?  Is it still GT or has the Wolf gotten closer to GT quality / performance?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
None of them is going to be great for SD. I mean, getting shot with x39 of any kind is going to ruin your day, and there's no question as to the lethality, but if you're looking for expansion or fragmentation then you need to consider a specialty load.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Out of those I'd go with GT due to the air pocket in the nose. But yeah, none of them are great for home/self defense. You'll get a good 30 inches of penetration from a commie HP or SP.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had good luck with GT (thanks, SGA!), but my "go to" AK usually has a mag with Hornady SST (thanks, SGA!).
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hornady SST is the best for self-defense and is also the most expensive. Even Mrgunsngear himself agrees with me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought 1000rds of Golden Tiger from SGammo to stash for SHTF about 2.5 yrs ago.  I've tested a few magazines worth with no issues, but with all the problems reported recently, I'm wondering if I should buy some Wolf mil-spec to replace it instead, and use the GT for range ammo?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You probably got in before the primer "problems". Some had them some didn't, but all were amazed as GT was a reliable round in about everything.
As for SHTF, any of them you like. All will have about the same terminals, and they aren't optimal. Wolf HP seems to get along with my rifle. For SD I use M67, If I were to load out for HD, or had the extra cash, PDX or Fusion would be the go-to for me.

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top