Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 2:24:19 PM EDT
Hi guys

If you have fired any significant amount of Golden Tiger would you mind posting the Lot Numbers and tell me approximately how many rounds you fired and whether you had any FTF with primer strikes?

I am trying to keep a record to see of there are any patterns. I think it would be useful information for all of us.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I've burned around 5000 rounds of this stuff in a SKS and Arsenal AK.  I still have a couple thousand or more in reserve.  To my knowledge I've never had a FTF.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have burned a case through AK's with zero problems
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Rifles here are mostly chinese and some comm bloc, so I've never had a problem with GT since mine are all old school mil.-spec. built by countries who have been at it for quite some time. Or home built using parts kits from original country of manufacture.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have "a couple" of AK patterned weapons.   And "several" thousands of GT 7.62x39 going as far back as 2K10.    Only one weapon has ever failed to fire GT 7.62x39 and the number of failures is in the two digits but significantly less than 1% of the rounds that go through it.    That particular weapon has had issues with the hammer spring in the past so it is on the list of parts that I have considered replacing.    With Sam's information I think that I am going to prioritize the replacement.  

And Sam:   Thanks for all of the GT over the years.   I am going to need to order some more soon.

2HUT8
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't get the lot number, but I recently fired 1,000 rounds through a Century VZ2008 over the course of a few days. No FTF at all. The ammo was ordered from SGammo a little over a month ago.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger that I bought in May with no issues. Great stuff and will be ordering more. What are people's thoughts on their .223 offering?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Had anyone had an issue with GT that's running a Saiga rifle with a tapco g2 us made trigger? I've had zero issues thus far, but was wondering...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had anyone had an issue with GT that's running a Saiga rifle with a tapco g2 us made trigger? I've had zero issues thus far, but was wondering...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Not with the g2 FCG, but I ran 60rnds of GT through 2 unconverted Saiga's earlier today with no issues.

FWIW, it was the same lot (E-93-15) that I put through a Norinco SKS Paratrooper which experienced about a 10% FTF rate out of about 100rnds

ETA: Which gives credence to what SGAmmo already stated. I was just sighting in the irons, but it goes to show how relevant it is to test any ammo you plan to pile. I wouldn't have thought any SKS would have had an issue with GT ammo, commercial or otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The issue is not lot related, it is firearm related, there are no bad lots, all have been factory tested and meet Russian military spec. I have been the exclusive outlet for Golden Tiger for the past 5 years and know the product very well, every case sold in the USA since 2011 has passed through my warehouse (SGAmmo.com) except the stuff Kieth and Alex (the importers) keep for their store in New Hampshire. The factory loads GT to actually Russian military specifications and the primer is harder than Sammi spec to reduce the risk of slamfire from lacquer sealant build up around the firing pin, and other issues. It causes problems mostly in AR15 and mini-30, but can have problems in AK47 and SKS that are not manufactured to or currently within Russian mil-spec in terms for how hard and deep they strike the primer.

http://www.SGAmmo.com
View Quote

That's a photo of a Golden Tiger round that would not go off when I tried to fire it. I've fired hundreds of rounds of GT through that AK and they all worked fine except that one. I looked at the primers on spent GT casings and the strikes all looked the same as the one above. But the one above didn't go off. It has to be a bad primer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I shot 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger that I bought in May with no issues. Great stuff and will be ordering more. What are people's thoughts on their .223 offering?
View Quote

Ordered 2k
Few ftf at first, but installed the 7.62 enhanced firing pin on the bumpsaw, seemed to help. Didn't get too many other rounds off after that because was having fte, ordered BCM extractor upgrade and range day Wed, I'll update. Couldn't really futz with it last trip because I had my 2 roommates with me and they were getting impatient you try having 2 women holding loaded guns and see hold long you make them wait
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive run a couple thousand through various sks's and my 7.62 AR with no failures. Most people dont know how to build a 7.62 AR and then complain when it doesnt work right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm new to AK's but ran some GT through my SKS's back when I had three. Accurate stuff.

I recently converted a Saiga and the conversion included the installation of a JTE hammer spring. I've only fired 50-60 rounds doing accuracy testings, but not a single FTF.

FWIW, the stuff is pretty darned accurate @200 yds. as fired from my iron sighted Saiga:

Last Friday afternoon I tested some of the GT, as well as others, at 300 yds. It was God-awful hot which resulted in my rushing my shooting. The GT grouped 10 shots into about 14" as fired from a prone, sandbag rest.

I have no doubt it will do better and will shoot again as soon as it cools down a bit. I fully intend to order some more!

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ordered 2k
Few ftf at first, but installed the 7.62 enhanced firing pin on the bumpsaw, seemed to help. Didn't get too many other rounds off after that because was having fte, ordered BCM extractor upgrade and range day Wed, I'll update. Couldn't really futz with it last trip because I had my 2 roommates with me and they were getting impatient you try having 2 women holding loaded guns and see hold long you make them wait
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered 2k

After firing pin and BCM upgrade, 100%. Accurate too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
No issues with my Saiga w/ tapco trigger, over 500 rds GT.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never had a FTF shooting Golden Tiger.  3000 rds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Half a Case through a 7.62X39 AR    no issues 1" group at 100yd.  It's more mild than my brown bear and hitting up to 2 inches lower than brown bear but when it groups half the size and is cheaper I don't give it's become my Primary Ammo.

Running an AR with a Larue MBT it's setting off the GT X39 just fine.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top