Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/9/2016 6:03:11 PM EDT
Is one better than the other for hog hunting?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had great luck with the fusion msr rounds.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My apologies, I should have clarified. I am wanting to buy bulk cheap steel case ammo and it typically comes in FMJ, SP and HP. Out of those three choices, I'm curious if the SP or HP would be best for hogs (knowing the FMJs don't work well). I understand I could buy better boxed ammo for hunting purposes, but want to stay with bulk ammo here as I will be buying in bulk for general use as well. Thank you
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Given your parameters, the SP for sure.

The only "HP" load worth a crap are the ones loaded with the 8M3 "Effect" projectile, and that does not appear to be consistently loaded into lots of Wolf 122gn HP.

Some of it has the cuts inside the jacket, and some doesn't.

But SP is SP and it works good.

Alternatively, if there is no prohibition on using FMJ on hogs there, and you don't mind cleaning corrosive ammo, get some of the Yugo M67. That stuff wrecks just about anything you can bother to shoot it into.

Go look here for some geletin tests of various 7.62x39mm rounds, by one of our lovely forum members.
bluefalcon gel tests
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
SP seems to be better than HP.

I shot phone books soaked in water (duct taped the ends before soaking), and the SP seems to cause more trauma.  HP acted like FMJ.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Most HP rifle rounds are generally not considered expanding rounds, as the open tip is generally indicative of a more precise manufacturing process (lead filling from tip vs from base in fmj). Sierra Match King (smk) is a popular example, and from what I've seen, the russian HP rifle offerings have very small open tips that are not designed to expand and will act like FMJ on impact.

Soft point is what you are looking for, but the effectiveness and expansion consistency of the steel-cased imported options will be questionable. You might just want to get cheap ammo to play with and some hunting ammo for killing things. Of course, worst case scenario, the cheap SP acts like a FMJ, which is still lethal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Gents, I'll buy some SPs:)

I do have some Yugo crates too. I think I'll see if they'll last another 45 years though, haha... I like saving the brass corrosive stuff and shooting up the cheap steel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're looking for cheap ammo, the SPs don't fail to expand, unlike some HPs

That being said, I have taken hogs with the Winchester PDX-1 with no issues.

Bluefalcon Gel test of PDX-1:

120gr Winchester PDX-1
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Before you load up on SP ammo, buy a few boxes & try them in your gun. I have had feeding problems with Barnaul SP in some of my guns. Great ammo, just a few of my guns don't feed well on it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Tula 154 grain SP. Yea , it is Tula and there are a lot of opinions, but this seems to have better quality control and flies better for me.
As already stated, buy a box and see if your rifle likes it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given your parameters, the SP for sure.

The only "HP" load worth a crap are the ones loaded with the 8M3 "Effect" projectile, and that does not appear to be consistently loaded into lots of Wolf 122gn HP.

Some of it has the cuts inside the jacket, and some doesn't.

But SP is SP and it works good.

Alternatively, if there is no prohibition on using FMJ on hogs there, and you don't mind cleaning corrosive ammo, get some of the Yugo M67. That stuff wrecks just about anything you can bother to shoot it into.

Go look here for some geletin tests of various 7.62x39mm rounds, by one of our lovely forum members.
bluefalcon gel tests
View Quote

Lovely?

To put a finer point on it, some HP projectiles have scoring on the inside of the jacket and still don't fragment
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Also consider the PRVI 123 gr round-nose soft point. The bullet looks like a pistol bullet and I think would be good for the close-range shooting you're likely to have with hogs in the woods. The Tula 154 gr SP already mentioned I think would also be a contender. I would want a 20" SKS to use to get the additional velocity and iron sight accuracy due to the longer barrel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
A friend was fond of the Romanian SP that was on the market some years ago. Said it worked quite well on hogs...

1DD
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#13]
So bottom line, what is the best brand of SP to purchase? I'm confused with Red Army, White Bear, Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, Tula. I can only shoot SP at our local ranges and would like to get a small quantity, so your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So bottom line, what is the best brand of SP to purchase? I'm confused with Red Army, White Bear, Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, Tula. I can only shoot SP at our local ranges and would like to get a small quantity, so your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim
View Quote

Buy a couple of boxes of each and see how well it feeds in your gun. I have never heard of a soft point only restriction at a range . Usually it is brass cased or no steel core
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Which ever you, your budget, and rifle like best. Every barrel is it's own entity and what shoots best is all that matters.

GT doesn't offer a SP right now and I have never heard of White Bear, but if you find it go for it. Many folks are happy with Wolf branded ammo, since you asked.

I hadn't heard of SP only ranges until reading on another subject line here, so evidently they exist.

Happy Hunting
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

As mentioned, check function.

I've had the square nose of HPs catch on the bullet guide. Not a good thing if an old sow with piglets is mad at you....
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Which ever you, your budget, and rifle like best. Every barrel is it's own entity and what shoots best is all that matters.   GT doesn't offer a SP right now and I have never heard of White Bear, but if you find it go for it. Many folks are happy with Wolf branded ammo, since you asked.

I hadn't heard of SP only ranges until reading on another subject line here, so evidently they exist.

Happy Hunting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which ever you, your budget, and rifle like best. Every barrel is it's own entity and what shoots best is all that matters.   GT doesn't offer a SP right now and I have never heard of White Bear, but if you find it go for it. Many folks are happy with Wolf branded ammo, since you asked.

Happy Hunting

The did offer an SP, maybe not imported anymore:
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Can confirm Winchester PDX-1 HPs work for hogs:

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top