Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 5:33:09 PM EDT
I have starting seeing Romanian 7.62x39mm in spam cans popping up on the net.  Ammo pictured on sites shows green sealed lacquer coated cases in plain white boxes.  Is this ammo good new production or old production Hot Shot that retailers have been sitting on?  Is it good for stockpiling or just wait for more Golden Tiger.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got my can in today from Centerfire.I ordered on Tuesday and got the can the next day.

Can had a large dent in it from being dropped or something bumping it.No rust on the can, the dent didnt break the seal so its gtg.Can was packed very well so it had to have been dented before shipping.

There have been reports of some of this ammo having cracked necks on the cases, only a few though.Also reports of it being very dirty,but fairly accurate.I understand its new production, i havent opened the can and dont plan to for a long time.

Im going to grab another tin or two since its a great price and put it away.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a few cans of Hot Shot around 2008 IIRC. Opened one when I got it and it was fine, functioned great. Don't remember the accuracy but I don't remember it being bad.

I believe the boxes were white with one side that had a pinkish color to it and a flag in the background. The boxes were thin and kind of soft; I wouldn't recommend storing them outside of the can without repackaging them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got my can in today from Centerfire.I ordered on Tuesday and got the can the next day.

Can had a large dent in it from being dropped or something bumping it.No rust on the can, the dent didnt break the seal so its gtg.Can was packed very well so it had to have been dented before shipping.

There have been reports of some of this ammo having cracked necks on the cases, only a few though.Also reports of it being very dirty,but fairly accurate.I understand its new production, i havent opened the can and dont plan to for a long time.

View Quote

Is it still safe to shoot with cracked necks?  I wonder if they are available in the crate or just packed in boxes from the factory?  May have to call Centerfire to see.  This ammo caught my eye due to the sealing, lacquer coating and in a spam can.  I wish GT came in crated spam cans.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is it still safe to shoot with cracked necks?  I wonder if they are available in the crate or just packed in boxes from the factory?  May have to call Centerfire to see.  This ammo caught my eye due to the sealing, lacquer coating and in a spam can.  I wish GT came in crated spam cans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most cracked necks will only be tiny cracks and is fine to shoot.I shot a bunch of surplus 7.62x25 ammo years ago with cracked necks from the 1950's-1960's surplus and they all ran fine without issues.
Im willing to bet you will get pristine ammo.I dont think they have the crates, just individual spam cans packed into a box.

No can opener is included, i use a screwdriver and a hammer to open cans with anyways.This is a great deal dont pass it up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Nobody has posted pictures of this stuff... I guess nobody wants to be the guinea pig.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I recived the two cans I ordered a week ago. One had a small dent on the side and looked like it was draged on the concreate on the bottom, but looks like it was still sealed sealed perfectly. Mostly cosmetic. I ended up opening that can and the ammo was in white cardboard boxes with no markings. Ammo was very clean lacquer coated with green sealant. I have not shoot the stuff but will report onced I do.

I will try to post some pics later.

Drewmans
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recived the two cans I ordered a week ago. One had a small dent on the side and looked like it was draged on the concreate on the bottom, but looks like it was still sealed sealed perfectly. Mostly cosmetic. I ended up opening that can and the ammo was in white cardboard boxes with no markings. Ammo was very clean lacquer coated with green sealant. I have not shoot the stuff but will report onced I do.

I will try to post some pics later.

Drewmans
View Quote

Thanks,im leaving mine sealed for long term use.Let us know how it performs when you get to shoot some.

The sale ends at the end of this month,probably going to grab another 2 tins or so before the sale price ends
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
There is new stuff on the market but it's Russian.  Centerfire's stuff is old stock Romanian.  The CFS tin I just received was beat to shit and rusted around the rim, but appears to still be sealed.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
isn't this the stuff that had .309 bullets?

if not  - I'll order some
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please explain.

Thanks,
Drew
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Please explain.

Thanks,
Drew
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain.

Thanks,
Drew

Saw a few reviews earlier this year / last year that IIRC said it had some pretty bad vertical groupings - which were attributed to .309 diameter bullets vs .311/.312
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]
No current reports though, the one picture I've seen of the recent stuff opened was packaged differently, so who knows. It might even be from a different factory in Romania. I'm going to buy some today and will let you guys know once I test some.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#13]
To the best of my knowledge only one factory in Romania exports ammo to the US. This canned stuff is most likely the same current production RAS from Romania. Looks the same, has the same head stamps. The Romanian RAS seems to be g2g from what I've read. My friend also ran 180 rounds of it through his vz2008 without issue. If I had the money (read:wife wouldn't murder me), I'd grab a couple more cans.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]

My ammo showed up today, I inspected 3 boxes and none of the cartridges had cracks or loose projectiles. Will update when I get some shooting results in. It appears to have been made in either 2011 or 2012. The cartridges say 11 and the can says 12.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s178.photobucket.com/user/russellcl/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141201_122402772.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/russellcl/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141201_122402772.jpg</a>

My ammo showed up today, I inspected 3 boxes and none of the cartridges had cracks or loose projectiles. Will update when I get some shooting results in. It appears to have been made in either 2011 or 2012. The cartridges say 11 and the can says 12.
View Quote

Nice,thanks for posting the pics.Now i dont have to open my tin

For those who wanted these tins the sale ended yesterday.Its back up to full price now.

Looking forward to the range report
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Just came in n from testing this ammo, it functions fine with no cracked cases but it is hands down the most inaccurate ammo I have ever tested. 10" group at 90 yards, the tulammo control group shot about 2" as did the wolf control group. Very disappointed, I will try it out of my vz2008 as it has a tight bore and I suspect this amm has undersized projectiles.
http://rs178.pbsrc.com/albums/w255/russellcl/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141202_105230012.jpg~320x480
Romanian 20 round group, the fliers were immediately present so figured what the hell might as well shoot all 20 since it was FUBAR any how

http://rs178.pbsrc.com/albums/w255/russellcl/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141202_110058142.jpg~320x480
Here is the tulammo group.

http://rs178.pbsrc.com/albums/w255/russellcl/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141202_111026379.jpg~320x480
Here is the wolf group.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just came in n from testing this ammo, it functions fine with no cracked cases but it is hands down the most inaccurate ammo I have ever tested. 10" group at 90 yards, the tulammo control group shot about 2" as did the wolf control group. Very disappointed, I will try it out of my vz2008 as it has a tight bore and I suspect this amm has undersized projectiles.
http://rs178.pbsrc.com/albums/w255/russellcl/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141202_105230012.jpg~320x480
Romanian 20 round group, the fliers were immediately present so figured what the hell might as well shoot all 20 since it was FUBAR any how

http://rs178.pbsrc.com/albums/w255/russellcl/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141202_110058142.jpg~320x480
Here is the tulammo group.

http://rs178.pbsrc.com/albums/w255/russellcl/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141202_111026379.jpg~320x480
Here is the wolf group.
View Quote

Wow,minute of barn on that.Might have to use my tin for some blasting use instead of stashing it away.Thanks for the eye opening test.

Fixed the pic links for you-

Romy

Tula-

Wolf-

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#18]
thanks for fixing the links, I was using my phone and was having some issues. Yeah I honestly don't know how you  could make ammo that bad, I've shot smooth bore flintlock muskets that have better accuracy. Must be undersized projectiles coupled with irregular powder charges, I did notice the casings were flying all over the place where they usually land within a foot of each other. Makes my red army standard ammo look like match ammo.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Your welcome,not a problem.

I may try this stuff out with some of my SKS's and see how it does.Its too bad since its great looking ammo.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
That 100 yard group looks like my 200 yard groups using wolf and not taking my time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Today I was testing my vz2008 after fixing a trigger issue, with this stuff and either a bullet or a chunk of something  hit the inside of the comp leaving a crater. Never had anything  like that happen before using this garbage.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Today I was testing my vz2008 after fixing a trigger issue, with this stuff and either a bullet or a chunk of something  hit the inside of the comp leaving a crater. Never had anything  like that happen before using this garbage.
View Quote

So im guessing the VZ didnt do any better in the accuracy dept with these rocks called they call ammo

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Only 3 out of 8 even hit the target. I gave up at that point.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top