Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2014 9:40:30 PM EDT
Video link for phones

Tula 154 gr soft point fired from 16" WASR 10/63 into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 592.2 fps, 3.3"

Impact velocity: 2,177
Penetration: 15.8"
Retained weight: 142.5 gr
Max expansion: 0.754"
Min expansion: 0.603"
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, I'm surprised by the performance, is this repeatable? If so that will be a great deer round. My 7.62x39 AR will shoot Tula soft points into a 1.5" group @ 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish I could say for certain, but as you know tests like mine aren't statistically relevant. The way it peeled open indicates to me that the jacket likely has pre-fail cuts on the inside like some of the Russian HP. Those cuts don't seem to help for most of the HP, but it looks like they helped quite a bit here. In fact, I wonder if the Russians make the same jackets for use in both HP and SP designs.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Are my eyes deceiving me? Is that a boat tail bullet?
And is it normally hollow at the heal?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like that might be an effective deer round. Never shot any of the heavier bullets out of any of my guns. Might have to get some to try out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are my eyes deceiving me? Is that a boat tail bullet?
And is it normally hollow at the heal?
View Quote

Sorry. Didn't see your comment earlier. Not exactly boat tail, but the jacket is curled in slightly at the base. The jacket kind of got pushed back as it peeled, leaving the base hollow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting that it worked; I saw this similar video with Herters, which I consider to be a re-brand of Tula, where it failed to expand at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHrY9KiR2A&list=UUfctRLXLbhoTIevEVrpsdIQ
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top