Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 3:20:23 AM EDT
Here's a few pics of some ammo I just received. Prior to this batch, the "newest" Chinese ammo I've seen in Canada has been mid-90's production.
It's advertised as steel core, but I haven't sectioned any to confirm.

Factory 311 made, packed 20 rounds to a box, 30 boxes to a plastic bag, 2 bags to a cardboard case of 1200.

Fun fact sheet included, too:

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
To bad we can't get it here in the US. What was the cost?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
For context we normally pay minimum 40 cents a round for new production, non-corrosive, steel-cased Russian ammo. Corrosive steel-core surplus can be had as low as 16 or 17 cents a round.

The importer has this regular priced at $300 a case (25 cents/round) but had a "buy 3 get 4" sale on. The deal works out to just under 20 cents/round including tax and shipping.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For context we normally pay minimum 40 cents a round for new production, non-corrosive, steel-cased Russian ammo. Corrosive steel-core surplus can be had as low as 16 or 17 cents a round.

The importer has this regular priced at $300 a case (25 cents/round) but had a "buy 3 get 4" sale on. The deal works out to just under 20 cents/round including tax and shipping.
View Quote

$0.20/rd is roughly what we can get Russian steel case 7.62x39 for here. The Chinese stuff is a better value though being brass cased.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, you have much cheaper new production 7.62x39 than we do which is sort of balanced by all the cheaper steel core surplus we get.

The Chinese isn't brass, though, it's copper-washed steel.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Chinese isn't brass, though, it's copper-washed steel.
View Quote

Ah, ok. Yeah I thought the color of cases look a bit "off" in the photos, I just assumed it was the lighting. I never knew Norinco made steel cased ammo, I've only seen some old Norinco .223 here in the states that was brass cased.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Is buying ammo in the great white north like it is here in the US?  Walk in, hand them cash and walk out with your ammo?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess they finally ran out of all the ammo that was denied import into the U.S. after the Clinton ban and had to make a new batch!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
What would be the penalty for bringing that into the US?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What would be the penalty for bringing that into the US?
View Quote

If you get caught by an agent that knows what it is probably loss of the ammo and a fine I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is buying ammo in the great white north like it is here in the US?  Walk in, hand them cash and walk out with your ammo?
View Quote

One added step in the middle: show them your firearms license.

Federal law requires purchasers of ammo to hold a valid firearms license.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#11]
way cool, thanks for sharing

Too bad we can't still get chinese goodies
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for posting this
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
So $900 for about 4800 rounds. So much win !

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
the look of copper washed steel brings back fond memories

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember when the local shop had 30rds on three sks stripper clips,
wrapped in some sort of rice paper and string. Vietnam era stuff IIRC.
Copper washed, steel core.  Corrosive.

I shot the piss out of that stuff back in the day in my SKS.  Not so fun
cleaning my rifle though..

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I talked to a retired BP agent that I know. He said you have to have prior approval before bring ammo back from Canada. Basically they'll laugh at you if you try the legal route. Don't try the illegal way either.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I guess they finally ran out of all the ammo that was denied import into the U.S. after the Clinton ban and had to make a new batch!
View Quote

China isn't exactly my favorite country in the world. But getting Chinese arms and ammo here is bad. But every other crappy thing (and not so crappy) thing the Chinese make, we can get. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah....this country is a much better place without cheap Chinese ammo and Cuban cigars.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#20]
When you get a chance to shoot it.... please, I would like to know how accurate it is ? Along with what rifle fired from.

I am curious if accuracy has improved since China has "modernized" .
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah....this country is a much better place without cheap Chinese ammo and Cuban cigars.
View Quote

Cuban Cigars are legal in the territories not sure about Chinese ammo. Sounds like an excuse to take another vacation to Puerto Rico.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I miss that copper washed Chinese ammo. I used to get it for like $90 for a 1240 round case. Oh if I could go back in time!!! It had a peculiar smell to it when you shot it as well. Kinda like cat piss.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here's a few pics of some ammo I just received. Prior to this batch, the "newest" Chinese ammo I've seen in Canada has been mid-90's production.
It's advertised as steel core, but I haven't sectioned any to confirm.

Factory 311 made, packed 20 rounds to a box, 30 boxes to a plastic bag, 2 bags to a cardboard case of 1200.
View Quote

If you don't mind my asking...what firearm(s) will you be using to shoot it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, well under $100 a case. Smelled kind of like cat piss when you fired it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Is this new stuff steel core like the older stuff?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#26]
If we in the US had access to the Chicom ammo (and guns, for that matter) again, it would probably put substantial downward pressure on prices because of increased competition in the marketplace. I often fantasize out the Chicoms and Russians in a price war in the US over both their guns and ammo. I remember a Centerfire Systems catalog from November, 1993 for MAK 90's for $199.99 NIB plus shipping and FFL. I need a time machine

I remember going to a funshow in September 1993 and there was literally a wall stacked up of wood cases. 1200rds per case, $109each of both lead and steel core Norinco 7.62x39mm. I bought one case of the lead core(guessing lead would be more accurate out of my Norinco SKS I bought in 1990 for about $100 NIB). It was also copper washed steel FMJ like the ammo shown here, but in the older yellow boxes. Headstamped "311  92".  I also on other occasions bought some Norinco 9mm, .45ACP,.308 and .223 ball ammo. The .308 was also copper-washed steel FMJ. The other rounds brass FMJ. I still have several full boxes of each caliber of Norinco (especially the 7.62X39) squirrelled away deep in my "no touch" pile.

Ah, the good old days...... But just remember in the not-so-distant future we'll look back to today also as the good old days. It's a definite possibility that Obama will ban Russian ammo. All that cheap steel cased ammo, dried up. That would totally cut off any new production 5.45x39mm until another manufacturer produces it, but in much small quantities and much higher prices. Just look at price differences now between the steel 7.62x39mm and the brass loadings. Most people wouldn't be financially able to buy it in the quantities they're used to with the steel fodder, especially when bulking up for SHTF. That's one of the things the anti-gunners want to keep us from doing to maintain their people control.

So get what you can now- Buy it cheap and stack it deep!   Word to the wise.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top