Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 7:36:16 PM EDT
Seems everyone said it was.  I know...another newb thread but I been busy and haven't kept track.

Is the newer stuff better? Or any ideas WHAT batches were corrosive?  

I am wanting to pump my 7.62X39 stockpile and am trading 5.45 ammo for it and the guy has black box Ukrainian wolf.

Claims it was purchased last year from J&G Sales.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be good. I have shot several cases of it over a lot of years and never found any to be corrosive. It seems like there was a batch that was but that was a loooong time ago iirc and I think wolf replaced it for customers. It was basically a boo boo at the factory. Dirty yes, corrosive, no.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
okay. well if it does turn out bad, Wolf would probably replace it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You will know by the smell when you fire it. Corrosive is no worry anyway. Just give the barrel, gas piston and gas tube a good rinse with warm water or windex and then run a patch through it and oil it. We have SKS's and AK's that combined we have put 60 cases of corrosive ammo through back when that was all you could get. Every one of them looks just as good as the rifles we have that have never had a corrosive round through them. Maintain and clean and it won't make a bit of difference. The chance of it being corrosive if bought that recently is miniscule unless it was really old stock from a certain bad batch. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Ukrainian Wolf is NONCORROSIVE. Have about 2000rds bought in the last 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
There were a few lots of Ukrainian Wolf that were corrosive primed a few years ago. They were laquer coated, but didn't have a sealed bullet or primer. If you're concerned, call wolf with the lot number, or nail test one for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Corrosive I have cleaned for on my '74, that itself doesn't "really" bother me.   But I use my 7.62 AK's pretty good. they're pickup guns, meaning I often fire 2-5 rounds.  I hate cleaning for only shooting 1-5 shots.

Looks like we're farther apart in distance than I thought, if I do the deal I'll call wolf and ask.

Thanks guys.   (P.S.  In the last 12 months the newer Ukrainian wolf has the old WOLF symbol on the package, that would help some to see if it's newer).

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems everyone said it was.  I know...another newb thread but I been busy and haven't kept track.

Is the newer stuff better? Or any ideas WHAT batches were corrosive?  

I am wanting to pump my 7.62X39 stockpile and am trading 5.45 ammo for it and the guy has black box Ukrainian wolf.

Claims it was purchased last year from J&G Sales.  
View Quote

GrantS,

I admit I haven't shot my AK for a while but if the box says it's non-corrosive then I would shoot it with no worries. It's if it's not printed on the box I'd worry. For now as long as there a trade defisite with Russia I'd just stock up and shoot something else.

Impala
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have found it to be a good practice. If in doubt if your shooting corrosive or not, just clean your gun as if it was corrosive. Then there is no chance that your gun is at risk of the corrosion the real surplus causes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The Ukrainian wolf that was causing the problem was labeled non corrosive, don't trust the box.  Newer stuff is probably OK.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top