Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 8:22:29 PM EDT
I have run into an interesting issue with Tulammo. I have noticed on a few rounds, the case is split from the top of the neck. It goes down anywhere from 1/4 inch to almost 3/8 of an inch. The gun has not gotten damaged from the split cases....

Has anyone run into this with Tulammo?

I have also shot Wolf, and Golden tiger with no issues.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen this with milsurp 7.62x54r, I'm thinking its because the steel isn't as elastic as brass and fails to stretch.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
could be your chamber is not to spec...

Any back story on that?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I see split cases too from time to time but it seems more like one guy will get a bunch of splits in his rifle but four other guys wont. Could be an issue with the dimensions of his chamber plus variances in the tolerances of the composition of the steel but honestly unless you are reloading the "brass" "what difference at this point does it make?"
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always had problems with Tula ammo in most of my guns from, excessive carbon build-up, to split cases, to cases getting hung in the chamber.
The easy way I fixed this is to stop shooting Tula's junk ammo!
I shoot Wolf, Silver Bear, or Golden Tiger now & the problem has not returned.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont have the tools or gunsmithing skills to check the specs on the chamber. I would have to bring it to a pro for that.... lol...

I just shot up the last of the Tulammo... Had a couple more split cases. I wont be using that stuff again, unless its an emergency and its the only stuff around....

I did fire some Wolf and Golden Tiger. Did not have any splits on those cases. Not even one!!!! lol.... Looks like I will be sticking with those brands from now on....

One thing I will say is that the split cases did not seem to damage my AK at all.... No feeding, firing or extraction issues with the Tulammo.... Just split cases... lol
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see split cases too from time to time but it seems more like one guy will get a bunch of splits in his rifle but four other guys wont. Could be an issue with the dimensions of his chamber plus variances in the tolerances of the composition of the steel but honestly unless you are reloading the "brass" "what difference at this point does it make?"
View Quote

I usually check some of my cases after I get done shooting. Even though they are steel, I check them anyway... It gives me an idea on how well I really need to inspect the gun. If I find oddities (splits. cracks. bulges. dents etc) I will give the gn a more thorough inspection to check for possible damage or excessive wear....

Thats the difference it makes to me....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Just shot some Tula 223 this past wkend and found 1 split case.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't see a big deal with splits since it is one time use steel cases
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see a big deal with splits since it is one time use steel cases
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont see it as a BIG deal, but I just find it to be rather unusual to have a case split.

Granted, these steel cases are a one time use item, I just wouldnt expect them to split open like they did....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I see it often on Mosin ammo. I just ignore it and keep shooting . It could be as simple as the steel is brittle . to any one of a number of other things, As long as it causes no malfunctions I keep shooting .
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Steel cases split. It happens. I've had WWII steel cased rifle ammunition do this and I've had brand new Russian 7.62, 5.45 and .223 do it as well. I've reloaded steel cased .223 where I got splits on the initial factory load, splits on a few at the second reload ,third reload and so on. Some cases never split, even after 5 or 6 reloads...

Don't sweat it.

DD

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
My Mosins have split their share of surplus cases
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi,

I fire a lot of 7.62x39 and when I have problems its with Tulammo.  I don't have case splits with Tulammo, and it shouldn't be a big issue.  I have had bullets from Tulammo get stuck in the chamber when the case is ejected spewing powder everywhere.  Cartridges examined later showed no crimps!  I have never had this issue with any other brand of 7.62x39 ammo, just Tulammo several times. Caveat Emptor.

Respectfully
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top