Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 11:33:56 AM EDT
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has seen the old 7.62x39 effect round available for commercial purchase anywhere.

Years ago it was Ulyanovsk that produced and sold the stuff, later some reappeared in Wolf Military Classic.  A couple years ago Ulyanovsk was producing it again but it seems to be gone.

Anyone have any luck finding some?

Thanks y'all.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
There has been some old stock Ulyanovsk being sold lately in generic white boxes.  SG ammo has had it a couple of times, no idea which bullet it has.  After you brought this up I went and watched a video on the effect bullet, it was very impressive!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah other than high-priced specialty type stuff they're the best rounds available, or at least that used to be available.

I haven't bought 7.62x39 in years but I would love to grab a few more cases.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just about to ask the same thing.  Kinda

I noted that Tulammo offers a 124gr JHP.  The 8M3 bullet is 124grs. and as far as I know, its the only 124gr JHP for 7.62x39.  I also noted that this round is loaded by Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works.

I found two boxes of Sapsan 124gr 8M3 JHP (in the blue and white box) and compared them to the Tulammo branded stuff.

The bullets look identical from the outside.  The lead core is the same depth from the mouth of the jacket on both bullets

The only visual differences I see deal with the casings.  The Sapsan has UMP's crossed arrows headstamp, while the Tulammo has some other kind.  The Sapsan has the old lacquers coated casings (green), while the Tulammo has polymer (gray)

I have found the 124gr JHP loaded by Tulammo at Bass Pro, Cabelas, and Academy.  They seem to be available in large quantities..
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about 2500 rounds of the maybe 8m3 Tula mentioned above. My most scientific test was on some cantaloupe, but it definitely reacts much better than other HPs & FMJs. Even if it's not 8m3, it's 2500 rounds I have that I bought at prepanic pricing.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top