Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 5:02:01 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the 5.45 ammo scene so forgive me if I sound a little ignorant here. I found some 5.45x39 new manufacture ammo made in Ukraine (comes in 'Russian' surplus style spam cans) supposedly with non-corrosive powder but Berdan primed...Is it still corrosive because it's Berdan primed? I remember reading somewhere that it was the primer that makes the ammo corrosive if uncleaned? Here is the link to the site. Just wanna know if I should be cleaning my AK right after shooting this stuff like I do with 7n6 or if it could go a while w/o damaging my rifle. What do you think? Below is the link to the online store

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/5-45x39-ammo-60gr-fmj-russian-1080-round-tin.html

Also, I've noticed that not all 5.45 has the red striping around the top of the casing where the bullet is seated and around the primer, what does this signify?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen that ammo. Kind of pricey.

The red stripe is just a sealant to keep moisture etc. out of the cartridge.

Also, Berdan primers are not what make the surplus ammo corrosive, and there are lots of non corrosive Berdan primed options out there. I am guessing that the ammo in your link is non corrosive  if they say it is, but that's purely speculation since I've never seen or heard of it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what that stuff is...

It has a commercial Barnaul head stamp, but everything else looks like surplus (including the heavy shellac).
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested...for NC, lacquered cased, primer and neck sealed, and in a sealed can I don't see it as a bad deal.  I'm just curious about the primer.  Unfortunately the Ukrainians have had a bad wrap for producing commercial ammo labeled NC that actually turned out to be corrosive.

EDIT:  I just saw the Barnaul head stamp so I am now assuming this is Russian, but why is the Ammunition Store listing it as Ukrainian?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It is interesting. I see they have it listed as "Powder - Non corrosive". It's not the powder you need to worry about.  

It would be cool to see this stuff coming in at a good price, corrosive or not.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is interesting. I see they have it listed as "Powder - Non corrosive". It's not the powder you need to worry about.  

It would be cool to see this stuff coming in at a good price, corrosive or not.
View Quote

That's what I noticed too, non corrosive powder don't mean shit if the primers are!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses. I called the store this morning and the answer I got when asked if the primers were corrosive was "I think so, yes" which I took to mean "I have no idea, but it's probably safer/less hassle if I say yes".
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I would clean as if it were corrosive until I had the correct determination. It would not stop me from buying it if the price were good. The run of Ukraine 7.62x39 that turned out to be corrosive was a one-time thing as far as I know. They simply used the military primers instead of the non-corrosive ones. The propellant is not corrosive in any case.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with saxman if you are in question about any ammo's corrosiveness, clean as corrosive. It is not worth replacing a barrel for the price of some cheaper ammo.
If you are looking for ammo try one of these.
For corrosive 7N6
http://www.usacsales.com/545x39-ammo-can
For non-corrosive wolf
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW54539FMJ60
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top