Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
50 cents a round is mid-priced 7.62x39.

Lapua is $1.35 a round (before shipping).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because I agree for 50 cent a round that it should be the best on the market ALSO...

Sorry for not being clear.

I put "+1" when agreeing

So there is one manufacturer charging over 50 cents a round (lapua) (excluding no longer imported chinese and Yugo) and that makes this Arsenal "mid-priced"  ?

I disagree

I use mean prices for the caliber

But I suppose you can quote one current production round price (Lapua) and call the Arsenal offering mid-priced

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So there is one manufacturer charging over 50 cents a round (lapua) (excluding no longer imported chinese and Yugo) and that makes this Arsenal "mid-priced"  ?

I disagree

But I suppose you can quote one current production round price (Lapua) and call the Arsenal offering mid-priced

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because I agree for 50 cent a round that it should be the best on the market ALSO...

I put "+1" when agreeing

I disagree

Rather than naming off all of the types over 50 cents.

http://www.wikiarms.com/group/7.62x39/5 (page 5 starts @ 0.54 cents)

PPU, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Federal, Fiocchi, PMC,etc.etc.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put "+1" when agreeing

I disagree

I will say you're right in the sense that their are numerous manufactures offering x39 for over 50 cents a round.  When you have to go to page 5 of 6 to find prices over 50 cents a round that ammo is still not "mid priced."  If it were "mid priced" the 50 cent per round offerings would be starting on page 3 of 6.  On page 3 I am finding 29-32 CPR.  Again I am using mean prices for the caliber.  If every offering on those 6 pages were averaged the mean would be nowhere near 50 cents a round

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
if you guys want some Golden Kitten better order up,  I just placed an order from SGAmmo and the amount listed is down to 10 cases of 1000 and 14 half cases,  I wish I could get a full case but my cha ching is a little on the low side so I got what I could afford.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The Golden Tiger ammo is the closest to real 7.62x39 Mil-Spec you can buy commercially. Not only does it have a Lacquer coating and sealed primer and bullet seal, it has one thing no other commercially available Russian ammo does...a ballistic-ally superior bullet. The first 20% of the FMJ BT bullet has an air pocket in it. It causes it to be back heavy and very unstable when it hits. It is without argue the most lethal round in a FMJ available other than the Uly HP 'Effect' round which is not imported anymore, and basically useless for hunting (for which it was designed for in Russia) because of its fragmenting.

A GT FMJBT will tumble almost instantly. Most others 'might' tumble but usually a lot later. If you want to see for yourself, go to goldentigerammo.com and they show cut-away photos. Without a doubt the most lethal FMJ in 7.62x39 and is a good, relatively cheap round for hunting Feral Hogs, Coyotes, etc. although I wouldn't use it on Deer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
This adding to an old post.  
I have decided to try the GT brand for several reasons.

1st it comes from only one factory which should help with consistency from lot to lot.  
2nd uses a better bullet in the FMJ versions
3rd lacquer coat of case for rust protection and sealed at primer and bullet junctions
4th stated to have higher velocity that is more in line with military specs.

I wonder if the price of AK ammo is a directly linked to the cost materials and more towards supply and demand.  It is true the cheaper you make, the greater will be your profit.
I have just ordered my 2nd case of GT from SGA.  I will shoot about half of each case to verify that all is well with the ammo and the remaining 1,000 rnds if all is well it will be my to go ammo until I can get something better.  I would prefer to reload, but right now I have no powder or good projectiles on hand.  

All of the other ammo I have I will use for training over the next few years to consume it that way.  No reason that I see to keep large stocks of ammo on hand other than for training.
A 1,000 rds is more than enough for SHTF including hunting and SD.  If one is thinking of getting into enough shooting incidents to need more than a 1,000, one is unlikely to survive such.  If I plan to live off the land traps will be more important than guns.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Golden Tiger ammo is the closest to real 7.62x39 Mil-Spec you can buy commercially. Not only does it have a Lacquer coating and sealed primer and bullet seal, it has one thing no other commercially available Russian ammo does...a ballistic-ally superior bullet. The first 20% of the FMJ BT bullet has an air pocket in it. It causes it to be back heavy and very unstable when it hits. It is without argue the most lethal round in a FMJ available other than the Uly HP 'Effect' round which is not imported anymore, and basically useless for hunting (for which it was designed for in Russia) because of its fragmenting.

A GT FMJBT will tumble almost instantly. Most others 'might' tumble but usually a lot later. If you want to see for yourself, go to goldentigerammo.com and they show cut-away photos. Without a doubt the most lethal FMJ in 7.62x39 and is a good, relatively cheap round for hunting Feral Hogs, Coyotes, etc. although I wouldn't use it on Deer.
View Quote

Where do you get that ammunition loaded with the 8M3 bullet is no longer being imported?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
just 22 cases of GT left at SG...get it while you can. I just ordered a case myself...
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know of any ballistics gel tests done with the Golden Tiger 7.62x39 FMJ?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of any ballistics gel tests done with the Golden Tiger 7.62x39 FMJ?
View Quote

Yes mrgunsandgear did a test on youtube.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Get it while you can folks, Obama is on the attack! I just ordered two more cases from SG.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Sitting here cursing at myself for being so weak.  I need another case of ammo like I need a case of diarrhea.  Ordered up a case of GT anyway.  Not a poop thread.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This adding to an old post.  
I have decided to try the GT brand for several reasons.

1st it comes from only one factory which should help with consistency from lot to lot.  
2nd uses a better bullet in the FMJ versions
3rd lacquer coat of case for rust protection and sealed at primer and bullet junctions
4th stated to have higher velocity that is more in line with military specs.

I wonder if the price of AK ammo is a directly linked to the cost materials and more towards supply and demand.  It is true the cheaper you make, the greater will be your profit.
I have just ordered my 2nd case of GT from SGA.  I will shoot about half of each case to verify that all is well with the ammo and the remaining 1,000 rnds if all is well it will be my to go ammo until I can get something better.  I would prefer to reload, but right now I have no powder or good projectiles on hand.  

All of the other ammo I have I will use for training over the next few years to consume it that way.  No reason that I see to keep large stocks of ammo on hand other than for training.
A 1,000 rds is more than enough for SHTF including hunting and SD.  If one is thinking of getting into enough shooting incidents to need more than a 1,000, one is unlikely to survive such.  If I plan to live off the land traps will be more important than guns.
View Quote

Buy it cheap and stack it deep is a mantra because you never know what price increases or availability restrictions will do. Buy a lifetime worth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought another case of GT last weekend after watching the news (not these threads).  Next day they were sold out.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get it while you can folks, Obama is on the attack! I just ordered two more cases from SG.
View Quote

Even now the blackness of Obama loometh like the gale winds of a blackened storm on the horizon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't care what color, sex, or creed the antis are. **** em all. Besides, Obama is just as much white as he is black. Mom was white as can be, no?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Even now the blackness of Obama loometh like the gale winds of a blackened storm on the horizon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are a riot. People expected Obama to bam all assault rifles and large capacity magazines and bla bla bla... All his administration has done is ban 5.45 surplus ammo and a few Russian rifles from being imported. So please, looking at the big picture he has not been able do accomplish anything in terms of gun control. So stop your winning of the black scary man in office and realize you live in gun country and no politician can touch guns without committing political suicide..
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You guys are a riot. People expected Obama to bam all assault rifles and large capacity magazines and bla bla bla... All his administration has done is ban 5.45 surplus ammo and a few Russian rifles from being imported. So please, looking at the big picture he has not been able do accomplish anything in terms of gun control. So stop your winning of the black scary man in office and realize you live in gun country and no politician can touch guns without committing political suicide..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you serious? He wants nothing more than to rip our freedoms. He's already shit on the constitution and wiped his ass with the flag. Obama and Hillary want us to be stripped of freedoms. He's using any means possible to restrict our freedoms... Executive orders and sanctions are not democracy. That is communism
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And ???.......The only problem with your "political suicide" line is that if the left gets the right legislation in place and makes it PERMANENT, then they only have to take that hit ONCE, and then it's a dead issue. They did it in "94 with the AWB at slick willy's urging and the only problem (for  them) was that it wasn't permanent. Did they lose politically ?? yes. Has that stopped them from trying again ?? NO.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad I was able to get a 1/2 case of GT before inventory went to zero…
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#21]
It's available right now...FWIW.

Just picked up 3,000 rounds.

Hard to go round with this stuff at 25 cents a round, shipped.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Get it while it's hot!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#23]
ive had questionable accuracy results out of GT lately.

both via Draco SBR and SLR-107.

I'm going to stick with Wolf / Tula for the future.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where do you get that ammunition loaded with the 8M3 bullet is no longer being imported?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a thread a while back where we tried to identify conclusively whether any currently imported ammo used the 8M3. Best we could figure is "maybe". If you know of a source that definitely uses it,  please share it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We had a thread a while back where we tried to identify conclusively whether any currently imported ammo used the 8M3. Best we could figure is "maybe". If you know of a source that definitely uses it,  please share it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which ammo would be the better to shoot out of a suppressor, the wolf or the gt?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone know when there will be more GT avail again? Seems to shoot pretty well out of my suppressor. Still need to try some wolf and see how it groups. Ran out of it some time back and really don't want to shoot up my stash of GT.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does anyone know when there will be more GT avail again? Seems to shoot pretty well out of my suppressor. Still need to try some wolf and see how it groups. Ran out of it some time back and really don't want to shoot up my stash of GT.
View Quote

If SGAmmo is out, you won't see any more for a while. But SGAmmo doesn't put all their inventory online at once. I'd either keep watching their sight or ask them in the Industry forum.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I sold the whole lot that came in last time, but I believe there will be another shipment showing up very soon, then nothing until September at best based on the importers scheduling estimates
View Quote

I will most likely be in for 3 cases when back in stock at the end of the month. Gotta get my stash up now that I have the ar build done.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#30]
</a>" /></a>" /></a>" />for me, the answer to the original question of this thread is, yes it's a big deal. at least for me with my AR's chambered in 7.62 x39. i have tried all the steel case rounds and the GT is consistently on top for accuracy and relative clean burning. with my ARD barreled uppers, the GT will shoot .8 to 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds regularly. none of the other steel case ammo i have tried  will do this. I even tried PPU, Sellior Belliot, and PMC brass cased ammo and none of it shot as well as the GT. The Hornady steel cased SST rounds came close. going to try reloading this round and see if i can find something even more accurate just for shits and giggles.

also, the GT has been 100% reliable. I use one of my uppers in 2 Gun competitions with the GT and it does as well or better than my competitors using 5.56/.223 rifles (we shoot max, 130 yards or so). feeds and functions beautifully. no lacquer "gumming" up the chamber !!!!

I am curious. i don't own an AK or a SKS, but  do you guys find the GT to be more accurate and reliable than all the other steel cased ammo? or do you buy it for the sealed cases and primers as a stash option?</a>" />

just picked up another big stash from SGAmmo.

sorry to post pics of an AR in the AK section.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#31]
GT is most accurate steel 7.62x39 IMHO and you'll find multiple threads backing that up. Some say the boattail shape of the projectile which only GT has.
Considering when it's available it's still as cheap as most other brands it's my #1 choice, the lacquor & neck seal is just icing on the cake.
If I was only shooting 7.62x39 out of my WASR I'd just buy the cheapest stuff I could find, accuracy wise I see very little difference. But my VZ and both of my 7.62x39 ARs most definitely show a difference in groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Those are great groups with the ar15! I have several Aks and none of them shoot better with a specific type of ammo... They all shoot pretty much about the same with gt or wolf.. Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#33]
thanks!  i am pretty happy with the results.  i have tried 3 other barrels but this ARD barrel from Delta Team Tactical is hands down the most accurate. and the cheapest! $129 with free shipping. i have another one as well i use in the two gun upper and it is also very accurate. i really like the 7.62 x39 round. kinda the red headed stepchild of ammo, but very effective at closer ranges and great fun to mess with and shoot. great for home defense as well. and, if necessary,  you can  shoot the ISIS bastards with their own round.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Just picked up a case of 1000 GT from SG today. My AR is pretty accurate  with russian ammo, can't wait to see what GT will do. By the way, don't waste your money on that Romanian ammo, it is the worst ammo I've every tried, and I've tried alot. It was so bad that it would take chunks out of my comp on my vz58. No other ammo did that, not to mention it was horribly inaccurate out of any weapon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#35]
the GT will shoot .8 to 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds regularly. none of the other steel case ammo i have tried  will do this. I even tried PPU, Sellior Belliot, and PMC brass cased ammo and none of it shot as well as the GT. The Hornady steel cased SST rounds came close. going to try reloading this round and see if i can find something even more accurate just for shits and giggles.

sorry to post pics of an AR in the AK section.
View Quote

You're cheating :)
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.sgammo.com/product/golden-tiger/1000-round-case-762x39-fmj-bt-golden-tiger-124-grain-russian-ammo
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#37]

300 yards group with gt out of my AR  referenced  above
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top