BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2014 7:27:14 PM EDT
I recently bought a Sig 556-R, my first 7.62x39. I haven't yet had the opportunity to fire it.

I noticed that AR15.com has a four page thread on Golden Tiger.

Yet there are no claims made with in that thread that tells the rest of us why you like it so much.

*Does it give better accuracy than other brands?

*Is the maker renowned for better lot to lot consistency?

*Are the velocities higher than the other brands?

As I research various bullets in 7.62X39, I find that Golden Tiger seems to be the only maker that fronts a boat tail bullet.
Is the flat base normal for the Soviet military?
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a shitload of it available at good prices.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, yes, yes and its lacquered coated and sealed at the neck and primer.

I just ordered another 1500 rounds to add to my pile of GT.You cant beat the prices either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Because it has a cool looking tiger on the box

Seriously, the sealed neck, primer, green lacquered case are all pluses, but really there is nothing "special" I can tell. But at or around the same price as WOLF , etc. with no sealant and poly coated cases why not ? Plus SG Ammo is about the only distributor who carries GT and they are a class act , so it's GT from SG when I buy ammo. Just wish that GT 5.45 would come in
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. Just wish that GT 5.45 would come in
View Quote

+ 1 on that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the stuff but only have about 1600 rounds of it. I need to pick up another case but all my funds are going for debanning my mak90.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy some and you'll notice the difference.  

It's about 100-150fps faster than Wolf out of my SKS.   I can't speak as to accuracy as my SKS has peep sights and I don't usually shoot it for groups.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I get better consistant accuracy with Golden Tiger right comparable to Brown Bear.   Wolf, Tulammo,etc. all have worse accuracy.

The lacquered case and sealant are just bonus's.

And supposedly.....the bullet tumbles better.....I doubt anyone will notice, it still being a FMJ
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of my 11.5" SBR, my most recent lot of GT shoots like crap.

Shot some wolf MC and Tula in the same session and had much better groups.

Found it odd, previous batches did fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I was told by a local FFL07 SOT that the Golden Tiger brand 7.62x39 ammo is the most consistent ammo for use in his machine guns.  He said he experiences more stoppages with other inexpensive ammo, such as Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Wouldn't know as I've not shot any GT. Since Tula is cheaper and shoots just fine out of my Yugo SKS I'll probably never know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I recently bought a Sig 556-R, my first 7.62x39. I haven't yet had the opportunity to fire it.

Yet there are no claims made with in that thread that tells the rest of us why you like it so much.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']*Does it give better accuracy than other brands?

View Quote

I know the definitive answer to this, because I asked the same question to a distributor.  GT is actually a mediocre velocity, particularly inaccurate ammo (based on chronograph data).  Its desirability is solely due to the sealant around the bullet and primer, making it particularly suitable for long term storage.  So - great for stacking it cheap n' deep for SHTF.  Shooting characteristics...not so much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know the definitive answer to this, because I asked the same question to a distributor.  GT is actually a mediocre velocity, particularly inaccurate ammo (based on chronograph data).  Its desirability is solely due to the sealant around the bullet and primer, making it particularly suitable for long term storage.  So - great for stacking it cheap n' deep for SHTF.  Shooting characteristics...not so much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[span style='font-weight: bold;']*Does it give better accuracy than other brands?

I agree with the desirability for storage, but on what information are you basing that it has mediocre velocity?

Here is a review that would disagree with your statement on the velocity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=napCSMHHe_w

Has quality gone down since that review ?
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

GT has always been great and consistently accurate for me and for all the other reviews i have seen for it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen it shoot better groups every time I've put it up against anything myself.  Im shooting a turdy chinese ak though.  Personally its all I try to buy.  I don't actually think my ak is turdy though..  
well ya I do but I love the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:06:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did that distributor sell Golden Tiger, or some other, competing brand of ammo?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#16]
As I posted earlier in this thread, I had HORRIBLE groups with my most recent lot of GT (don't have lot #, looked for it) out of my Draco, as in 8" groups at 50 yards off a rest.

Wolf Military Classic, Tula, and older GT shoots much better out of the 11.5" barrel.

It wasn't just me shooting either, I had several shooters give it a whirl.

Now, out of my SAR-1, there was no difference amongst all the variety of ammo I took that day.

Odd, but I'll stick to WPA/Wolf for the draco and feed everything else to the SAR
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
The GT ammo I had a couple years back was less accurate than the Tula and Uly ammo I had at the time. I didn't care about that much. But GT is the only 7.62x39 ammo I've ever had a dud with. I prefer wolf mc or the new red army stuff more.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+ 1 on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. Just wish that GT 5.45 would come in

+ 1 on that.

I just posted some for sale in the EE.......
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Guys, all the Russian 762x39 is very similar . The big advantage to Golden Tiger is that it is one of the last products to maintain that original mil-spec sealed case-mouth and primer pocket, and lacquered case, which most of the other factories have done away with
View Quote

Your website shows that Red Army, Romanian, also has the sealed case mouth and primer.

Various tests posted on YouTube, show a disparity in the velocities of the different 7.62 ammo.

I've ordered $2300 of 7.62 from you in the last 8 weeks.

When I start shooting, I'll chronograph and check the groups, and report to the hive the results with my Sig 556R.

My purchases were: Golden Tiger, Red Army, both Romanian and Ukrainian, a can of Tula HP, some Silver Bear HP, and some  Premium  Arsenal of Bulgaria - Non-magnetic - Non-corrosive - Brass Case, which will be the ONLY ammo I can shoot at our ranges, as I live in a high fire area.

The "normal" 7.62, will have to wait for desert shooting, and an extensive drive to get there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

* edited after reading SG's posts... I can see the lot to lot issues, and can agree with SG's take on it. I posted below my experiences over the last decade, for what its worth. I didn't include Chinese 7,62 because I horde it and don't shoot it!

The distributor is full of it then. In actual bench shooting over the years, GT comes in 3rd in all loads I've tried. #1 was East German M43 (expensive steel core.. comes in "10 stuck" blister packs), and #2 was Yugo brass case. #4 after GT was brown bear.. #5 silver bear 8M1 "effect"

Golden tiger is plenty accurate for its intended purpose, noticeably better than the wolf we've tried. Weapons we tested these loads in include bolt action CZ 527 scopes, Chinese & Russian SKS rifles, SLR-95... as well as WASR's. Its nothing to break sitting clays at 100 years with a good SKS and Golden Tiger.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]
GT has a boat tail bullet, which along with greater consistency of load/construction tends to enhance accuracy. Strange that this has come up, because the details about it have been discussed here thoroughly in the recent past. Many of us have switched to it for the purpose of having an accurate, inexpensive round for target, sighting in and general shooting. Many have found that it shoots to nearly the same point as Yugo M67 brass case and has a higher velocity than most of the similar steel case ammo, with groups roughly equal to the Yugo, which is generally recognized as the top mil surplus ammo. But since the Yugo is also corrosive, the non-corrosive GT is an excellent alternative.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Anybody have any idea when SGammo will get the next shipment in ?? Just checked and it's showing "out of stock -MORE COMING SOON"
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 1:39:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anybody have any idea when SGammo will get the next shipment in ?? Just checked and it's showing "out of stock -MORE COMING SOON"
View Quote

I got a newsletter in an email from them Thursday saying this weekend.I would imagine any day now.

Sam will be along to confirm himself with a reply soon im sure.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

right now, but who knows for how long
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks !! just got my order in....
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Oops-Wrong thread-
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw ballistic test of GT on you tube, and I was impressed with the early yaw cycle, causing more tissue damage. Some of the other brands of FMJ, SP and hollowpoints just went straight through with minimum yaw or expansion.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#31]
You guys know that its back in stock at Sgammo right?? 1000 cases earlier today (Friday Evening technically)
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#32]
SGammo had 1000 cases earlier. Thats ALOOOT of Golden Tiger, being that other companies are saying that "they will probably NOT be receiving anymore Golden Tiger". I was searching for it extensively when SG ran out lasttime and was told that multiple times from companies I found online that usually carries it.

Not sure if Golden Tiger's Company is going under, or if they were referring to the possible Import situation, but that wouldn't pertain to just Golden Tiger by no means.

(Now some good ol Nighttrain Ranting)

It seems thats due to AR rumors, that alot of companies DO NOT carry Golden Tiger due to the rumors of the coating being problematic and russian companies now using polymer casings. I know its due to AR chambers getting dirty, due to Steel Cases not expanding after being fired, like brass. Then when firing a brass case after it, it sticks like Glue when shot, being it expands and the carbon locks it in place.

With that being the main logic to debunked the "Lacquer" issue, why doesn't it happen with "Poly Coated" rounds, or rounds that don't have a coating at all, rather than them blaming strictly "Lacquer Coated Ammo"??

After deciding I wanted some Golden Tiger, I then read some pretty bad things about lacquer coating and had to do extensive research before I decided to buy some GT... Some folks even said that you can see it create a buildup of "see-thru" coating in an AK chamber and can flakes off into the action (Was hard to tell who meant AR's and who meant AK's, 95 percent of what I read were AR user complaints). Seems to be a very biased situation but seems like its GTG in AKs by the way it sells.

I trust anyone who has shot alot of it in AKs and most say its GTG.... (Btw, Steel Cased Ammo should NOT even be shot in ARs, especially with Brass "PMC" being so cheap, or, WAS CHEAP atleast.)
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Someone had posted a link to LuckyGunner.com  click labs and it'll tell you all you need to know about
steel vs. brass. Alot of good tech info that dispels the lacquer myth. By the way, they had more stuck cases with polymer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#34]
" What's the big deal with GT " ? For me it's this, I shot about 90 rounds  from my 7.62 Saiga and when I went to clean it at home I was astounded how clean the rifle was and I mean shocked ! Quite a difference fro the Red Star product.

I just went to order a 200 rd pack. of GT but it went as I was ordering it. The count is dropping like free fall for the 500 & 1000 rd. items.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got my last container from this shipment the order day. Once I sell through it there will be a few weeks it is out of stock, then there will be more in about a month from today (late April)
View Quote

Keep us posted, im gonna try to buy ammo once a month from now on.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I got my last container from this shipment the order day. Once I sell through it there will be a few weeks it is out of stock, then there will be more in about a month from today (late April)
View Quote

Hi Sam, before you got some in stock I wondered why it was so hard to find. I contacted companies who had it in the past and got responses such as "We most likely will not be getting anymore Golden Tiger"

Is the company going under? Or is it just the distributors in general making that decision?? I heard a couple complaints about newer Lots not being as accurate as the old Lots but they were Isolated incidents. Didn't know if "Returns" were the issue or if companies are falling for the "Only Polymer, Lacquer is bad" BS that keeps getting spread around from people who refuse to use Brass in AR's and keep using steel (which is the Real issue)
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hi Sam, before you got some in stock I wondered why it was so hard to find. I contacted companies who had it in the past and got responses such as "We most likely will not be getting anymore Golden Tiger"

Is the company going under? Or is it just the distributors in general making that decision?? I heard a couple complaints about newer Lots not being as accurate as the old Lots but they were Isolated incidents. Didn't know if "Returns" were the issue or if companies are falling for the "Only Polymer, Lacquer is bad" BS that keeps getting spread around from people who refuse to use Brass in AR's and keep using steel (which is the Real issue)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, I've asked another large, well-known seller why they don't carry GT.  Their answer was that AK ammo buyers as a group wanted the cheapest sh*t they could buy, and if GT was even $5 more expensive, the GT would just sit.  I suspect this seller operates a larger volume ammo business with a thinner margin than SGA, so for them that might be accurate.  I think SGA has found a niche in the AK market for people who want quality ammo for stacking instead of cheap ammo for blasting, and are willing to pay a bit more.  It's too bad that more dealers aren't in the GT market, but I think SGAmmo's price is very fair and they have been great to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

FWIW, I've asked another large, well-known seller why they don't carry GT.  Their answer was that AK ammo buyers as a group wanted the cheapest sh*t they could buy, and if GT was even $5 more expensive, the GT would just sit.  I suspect this seller operates a larger volume ammo business with a thinner margin than SGA, so for them that might be accurate.  I think SGA has found a niche in the AK market for people who want quality ammo for stacking instead of cheap ammo for blasting, and are willing to pay a bit more.  It's too bad that more dealers aren't in the GT market, but I think SGAmmo's price is very fair and they have been great to deal with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Plus all of the rumors of Lacquer cased ammo being bad (Thanks to the cheap AR guys who used it and had issues, rather than quality cheap 223/556 such as "PMC 223" or "PMC Xtac 556" which is WAAAAY Better for their rifle), it has caused people to become suspicious of lacquer cased ammo. Although if its due to the Steel case in general, I assume they soon will learn Poly Coated has the same results.

One company told me that: "Poly Coated Steel ammo WILL NOT "MELT OFF IN THE CHAMBER" like Lacquer coated ammo will do" due to Poly Coating having a higher Heat Tolerance, and that the Russian army switched to Poly-Coated for that reason.

Others say its just a BS story that they use to market it because Polymer Coating is cheaper.  

Being how fast "Golden Tiger" is sold, I seriously doubt it gums/jams up AK's.

Im not big on using "Solvents", mainly just CLP, so hopefully I won't run into any issues with it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#40]
"Arsenal (Factory 10) Ammo"- Brass cased, Non-Corrosive/ Lacquer sealed primer!!

This stuff any good?? One would think it would be good in Arsenal Rifles, that just a guess though (Although "Arsenal Usa" promotes "Brown & Silver Bear")

Its high but wonder how it compares to "Hornady" Steel cased 7.62x39 (Just like ARs in vice Vera, I've always heard Steel is best for AK, Same as Brass is best in AR.. Ive heard of rims of Brass casings being ripped of when extracting in AK's.)

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/400-rd-case-762x39-fmj-122-grain-lead-core-premium-ammo-arsenal-bulgaria-non-magneti

UPDATE: I've heard from Vendors that this ammo is the best AK ammo on the market!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

"Arsenal (Factory 10) Ammo"- Brass cased, Non-Corrosive/ Lacquer sealed primer!!

This stuff any good?? One would think it would be good in Arsenal Rifles, that just a guess though (Although "Arsenal Usa" promotes "Brown & Silver Bear")

Its high but wonder how it compares to "Hornady" Steel cased 7.62x39 (Just like ARs in vice Vera, I've always heard Steel is best for AK, Same as Brass is best in AR.. Ive heard of rims of Brass casings being ripped of when extracting in AK's.)

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/400-rd-case-762x39-fmj-122-grain-lead-core-premium-ammo-arsenal-bulgaria-non-magneti

UPDATE: I've heard from Vendors that this ammo is the best AK ammo on the market!!
View Quote
It should be the best on the market for >.50 a round

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on that
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

+1 on that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on that

Because....?

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Because I agree for 50 cent a round that it should be the best on the market ALSO...

Sorry for not being clear.

I put "+1" when agreeing
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Because I agree for 50 cent a round that it should be the best on the market ALSO...

Sorry for not being clear.

I put "+1" when agreeing
View Quote

50 cents a round is mid-priced 7.62x39.

Lapua is $1.35 a round (before shipping).
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:27:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow, cant afford neither one. Atleast not when Russian steel is available.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#47]
The polymer coating was developed for more reliable function of steel cased 5.56mm. That cartridge's case is straightwalled - the polymer coating does seem to help promote easier extraction in that particular case.

Soviet designed rifle cartridge cases are almost always have a cone or tapered shape - makes for easy extraction. The trade off is curved magazines. These cartridges really don't need a polymer coating. I surmise it is easiest for the manufacturer to just polymer coat all the commercial ammo they make at a particular plant.

Here is why I dislike polymer coated and prefer lacquer.

I had a rainstorm manifest while my vehicle window was slightly open. A Wal-Mart sack on the floorboard that was filled with Tulammo got wet. I brushed the affected ammo down with steel wool and shot it - it still shot fine.

The polymer coating is porous. Not only will it rust, it will rust in short order. I do buy polymer coated steel case for practice  and run and gun events but save the lacquer coated for a rainy day - literally.

ETA - Polymer cased ammo I've kept stored in ammo cans have not rusted.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#48]

*duplicate post*
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will the new shipments be at the same price?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The polymer coating was developed for more reliable function of steel cased 5.56mm. That cartridge's case is straightwalled - the polymer coating does seem to help promote easier extraction in that particular case.

Soviet designed rifle cartridge cases are almost always have a cone or tapered shape - makes for easy extraction. The trade off is curved magazines. These cartridges really don't need a polymer coating. I surmise it is easiest for the manufacturer to just polymer coat all the commercial ammo they make at a particular plant.

Here is why I dislike polymer coated and prefer lacquer.

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/mrn0pxj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/819/n0px.jpg</a>

I had a rainstorm manifest while my vehicle window was slightly open. A Wal-Mart sack on the floorboard that was filled with Tulammo got wet. I brushed the affected ammo down with steel wool and shot it - it still shot fine.

The polymer coating is porous. Not only will it rust, it will rust in short order. I do buy polymer coated steel case for practice  and run and gun events but save the lacquer coated for a rainy day - literally.

ETA - Polymer cased ammo I've kept stored in ammo cans have not rusted.
View Quote

Wow, I never even realized my Tula ammo even had a Polymer Coating, feels like steel to me. That shit must be Suuuuuuper thin!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top