Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/13/2008 7:21:36 AM EDT
Ballistically, I want to know which of these types of ammo would be better for stopping power and over-penetration.

Basically, I'm looking for a good home defense (hard not to over penetrate)/SHTF round.  What are the pros and cons of these two types:

Soft point

and hollow point

For the purpose of this question, I actually use Wolf MC, not Barnaul, but the round looks similar, and I like pictures.
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The soft point.
Hollow point RIFLE ammo is actually not expanding ammo, it's really to make the bullet more stable by moving the center of balance rearward.

The soft point will expand and is intended for hunting.  The hollow point is usually used for long rang target shooting.
Since it's basically full metal jacketed ammo, the bullet will not expand, and isn't intended to.  It will penetrate more then the soft point.

So, for home defense, use the soft point, but be aware, even it'll shoot completely through the average house.  About the only thing that'll stop a rifle bullet is a concrete or brick outer wall.

For the absolute best HD ammo, buy American made SPORTING 7.62x39 ammo.
It's specifically designed to expand even more then the Russian soft point.  It does cost more, but for HD that's no problem since you won't need a lot of it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
For SHTF, my personal preference, in order, because of how they act:

1. Wolf Military Classic 124 gr Hollow point, because it FRAGMENTS!

2. Wolf Black Box 154 grains Soft Point, because you will have 2 projectiles causing havoc (the lead core will separate from the copper jacket) once the bullet hits any medium (read flesh)

3. Winchester 123 grain SP

Link Posted: 3/1/2008 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I really appreciate the input.  As a follow-up question, is Barnaul ammo any good?  I can get 500 rounds of the Barnaul soft point for $95.  Is that a good price for soft point?  Is there somewhere else I should be looking for better HD/SHTF ammo?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wolf Military Classic JHP is one of the few 7.62x39 rounds that fragments.  I'd use that over any other HP or SP, unless you have actual hunting SP's.

Wouldn't use Wolf Military Classic JHP for hunting since it fragments, but I'd use it for shooting people.  It's like a twice as big M193 round.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wolf Military Classic JHP is one of the few 7.62x39 rounds that fragments.  

Is the Wolf Military Classic FMJ known to fragment?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Barnaul sp is one of my faves.

Only the 8M3 bullet HP from the Ulyonsk plant, now sold as Wolf MC, frags.

None of the commie SP expand and retain mass very well.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/
All about the wall....

I'm having trouble finding this comparison at theboxotruth.com.  Can you tell me where it is on that site?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

All about the wall....

Commie SP doesn't expand or retain mass well but is still one of your favs?  Can you expand on that?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
pictures are worth a thousand words

hopefully this link works
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
pictures are worth a thousand words

hopefully this link works

it requires a password/username
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All about the wall....

Commie SP doesn't expand or retain mass well but is still one of your favs?  Can you expand on that?

It gets good groups in any AK I try (main reason), never comes with too-soft lead that hangs up on chamber faces like some other commie SP has recently (acting like fat hp tip), still kills plenty of deer for little money.

Do you get any expansion? I've heard yes and no. I have never used any of it and only have the internet as a source.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top