Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 4:10:12 PM EDT
you think carb cleaner is good enough to remove the salts after shooting 7n6?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Use Windex.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
thats not part of the question. the question is carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#3]
No.
Carb cleaner cannot dissolve salt.  Only something that contains water can do that.

Here's an easy experiment to determine if a product will clean corrosive salts residue:

Put some in a small glass and add a little table salt.
If the salt dissolves into suspension and "disappears" it's good for corrosive ammo clean up.

If the salt just lays there, it's no good.

Carb cleaner is great for removing carbon from gas pistons, but is useless for cleaning corrosive ammo residue from anything.
Pick something that contains water.  Since nothing does a better job or costs less, just use water, preferably hot water.
The only reason Windex works is because it's mostly water.
You'd do just as well, and lot cheaper to just fill a squirt bottle with water and add a couple of drops of kitchen soap cleaner.

If you're worried about rust, use HOT water.  The heat will warm the metal and it'll flash dry without rust.
If you're still worried, just buy any good black powder cleaning product.
These contain water and usually a rust preventing lube of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
Use Windex.
View Quote

Please let this myth die.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
No.
Carb cleaner cannot dissolve salt.  Only something that contains water can do that.

Here's an easy experiment to determine if a product will clean corrosive salts residue:

If the salt dissolves into suspension and "disappears" it's good for corrosive ammo clean up.

Carb cleaner is great for removing carbon from gas pistons, but is useless for cleaning corrosive ammo residue from anything.
Pick something that contains water.  Since nothing does a better job or costs less, just use water, preferably hot water.
You'd do just as well, and lot cheaper to just fill a squirt bottle with water and add a couple of drops of kitchen soap cleaner.

If you're worried about rust, use HOT water.  The heat will warm the metal and it'll flash dry without rust.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
No.

View Quote

i've used the garden hose then dried it off with the compressed air hose. i live in a really dry climate (tucson) so rust from moisture isnt much of a problem.

i always followed up with light gun oil after the water dries in a few hours.

just looking for a new way to skin that cat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:04:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CA_TX-Cop] [#7]
I keep reading these threads talking about how the salt needs to be dissolved, and my own personal experience isn't that it needs to be dissolved so much as just flushed away.  It doesn't matter if the compound you use dissolves the salts or just flushes it out, as long as you use enough to get rid of it.

I've used plain hot water, heated in the microwave and then poured through the barrel, dried and oiled later.  No problems with any of my 74's or my S&W 15R.

EDIT:  I don't know if I would use carb cleaner because it removes all moisture, and if you don't flush away the salt before you remove all the oil, then you could end up with some rust shortly afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I use hot water as well. I disassemble every thing and run hot water in the tub to clean everything. I then used compressed air to dry and spray with wd40. I then use a air hose to remove the  wd40 and just oil as normal. The other issue with carb cleaner is it might remove your finish. I would say shoot and try and see if the carb cleaner works and let us know the results.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:23:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: apr67] [#9]
You can use carb cleaner after you use water, but water seems to work best.

Test it yourself.  Take fired steel cases from corrosive ammo, and clean each of them as they were your barrel, leave one uncleaned as a control and then let them sit somewhere warm and humid.

If the one cleaned with something other than really water and a brush has the same or less rust, you are good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always used Walmart generic glass cleaner before leaving the range followed by a wipe down with old #9 after a corrosive session. THE Windex flushes the salts out of the bore and evaporates faster than water. Used to be 99 cents a bottle. Everyone at the range looking at you like you're a damp fool -- priceless.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Just use Ballistol mixed with water.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Water  is all that you need. Some people swear by Windex. After I shoot my 74  , poor water down the barrel and pour some on bolt and carrier at the range. Just clean as usual after that. I wish all ammo was corrosive , its stores longer and is more reliable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I use 2 quarts to a gallon of hot tap water and a little dish soap, never had any issues out of my rifles and been shooting 7N6 and Yugo M67 for years.
As mentioned above, you want to get the salt out of it ASAP, lots of water will do that. Any parts that can be removed like the bolt carrier get dunked in a bucket. Hot water will evaporate faster and helps rinse out any loose carbon.

Normally I use CLP but for any rifle that gets corrosive ammo on a regular basis gets cleaned & lubed with Ballistol after a rinse. The Ballistol seems to be a good cleaner/lubricant and dissolves in water so most of it rinses out taking most of the carbon with it. Breakfree CLP is just a little harder to clean out, and most surplus ammo is pretty dirty.

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#14]
ammonia in windex helps - probably beat but I cant read

I use it on my SVT 40 too
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By slimslade:
View Quote

This, 50-50 mix, or MPro-7.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fury413rb:
ammonia in windex helps
View Quote

Helps with what?
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

Helps with what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
ammonia in windex helps

Helps with what?

If it smells clean, it is clean.

Ballistol with hot water is the easiest single step rinsing.   I just wash the rifle, then dunk in atf tub.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Just use  water and then clean as usual.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Helps with what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
ammonia in windex helps

Helps with what?

Helps to dissolve copper.  Doesn't do anything for salts it would seem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I use hot water that I heat up in a electric kettle easy peasy! then clean like normal trust its a little never racking the 1st time but after that you will be cool with just water and hey we live in AZ anyhow not much humidity  to worry about rusting
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KALASHNIKOV223:
Just use  water and then clean as usual.
View Quote

That's what I do for my 91/30.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I just rinse it with hot water,let dry and clean as normal but I'm blessed with a dry climate so that helps
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I've shot several cases of Yugo M67 and have seen rust in under 45 minutes after shooting, but it was raining at the time.

I use soapy water to clean anywhere there is powder fouling, dry, then oil. I usually do this at the range immediately after shooting.

I also check a couple days later for rust spots from any corrosive fouling I might have missed.

Soapy water is cheap and cuts grease and oil.

AJ
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I used a Black Powder cleaner called "Black Off" for a few years.  Most of the time.

Sometimes I used to use hot water.  As hot as I could get.  The poster than recommended hot water was absolutely right.  The hot water will both clean off the corrosive salts and by the time you sit down to clean it (the normal type of cleaning with some solvent/brushes/patches) the water will have evaporated.  You will still need to put some oil/rust preventative back on the metal surfaces after cleaning.

I've done this for my M1A with corrosive S&G .308 and my M&P 15 with Russian 5.45X39 surplus.  No rust on either of them if you get them cleaned right away (not such a big deal if you live in a very dry climate, but I once had the AR rust between 5PM on a Saturday and 9AM Sunday morning when it was a humid/damp day and night and I had to drive from NC back to Richmond, VA after the shooting was over.

So, it's not a bad idea to do some water/black powder solvent cleaning when you finish shooting if the weather is wet/humid.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Disassemble rifle. Flush well with water hose. Follow with spray bottle 90%water/10% ballistol. Clean/lube as normal. 10 years shooting 7n6 never any rust.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By slimslade:
View Quote
This!
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top