Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/25/2014 11:46:57 PM EDT
Apparently I have a rusty touch, it was bad on my desert eagle, I could clean it and not 30 minutes later there would be surface rust where I handled it. I don't want my ak to turn out the same way, so every time I shoot, I clean it and put a thin coat of slip2k on the finish to prevent rust while stored, but the main reason I bought an ak is to have a rifle to not worry about cleaning. lol. Short of having it blasted and powder coated, or cerakote, or whatever coat, what can be done? I don't want to join the krylon crowd. Will the spray silicone stuff damage the finish, maybe just spray it down with that when I'm done? Or just keep doing what I'm doing?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use a good rust preventing lube and keep it lightly coated.
One of the best is CLP Breakfree.
I often use a soft toothbrush with a few drops of CLP on it to lightly "scrub" the metal to coat it.

There are a number of good rust preventing products out there, a lot of people swear by Corrosion-X.
Check the older posts in this forum for some good products.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What about parkerizing? I got to reading about that after I posted, and that looks like something I can do myself without having to have a big oven to bake it. I'm wanting to say my old springfield 1911 was parked, and never had any rust issues with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Save your money on all those fancy oils, and get one quart of Mobil-1 50W Synthetic. Its made to adhere to metal and a thin film will last a long time on your firearm. I clean 10 guns a year and I still have the same quart after three years.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Eezox.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Eezox.  A thin application will basically dry and leave a film that won't ooze into everything else, like clothing.  A few years ago, I did my own salt-spray-on-bare-steel test with some products that I'd picked up over the years, and Eezox and Weaponshield were completely rust free after two weeks of daily applications of salt water.  My guns have Eezox on the outside and Weaponshield on the inside.  If they're going to sit in the safe for a while, I'll add some grease on the rails.  Both Eezox and Weaponshield work well for removing fouling, although I will usually clean with the Weaponshield since it has less of a tendency to make my house smell like a meth lab.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If you insist on using gun-specific products then Eezox and Breakfree CLP have proven to be great for rust prevention.  Eezox is a drier lube and inhibits rust a little better but CLP is roughly half the cost.  I personally use a generous amount CLP on ALL interior and exterior metal surfaces and have never had any rust issues since.  You can always wipe off excess oil before shooting, but once rust starts forming on a gun, it's typically a nightmare to stop as it likes to rear it's head again and again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Pick your poison or non-toxic and use it. Some oils work better than others at preventing rust but any oil will work better than no oil.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ballistol.  It is alkaline and will counter the acids in your sweat.
View Quote

+1....Ballistol is good stuff.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top