Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2013 11:03:32 PM EDT
How often does the bolt need to be broken down to clean the firing pin, channel, and extractor? Ive cleaned my AK quite a few times in the 3k rounds ive put down range but I have never done this once
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How often does the bolt need to be broken down to clean the firing pin, channel, and extractor?
View Quote

Whenever the firing pin fails to move freely.

With bolt in hand tip it back and forth, gravity should do it.

you will probably get replys "AK's never need cleaning."

Take care of your gun & it will take care of you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Any idea on what size punch I need? Mine does not have the cleaning kit
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any idea on what size punch I need? Mine does not have the cleaning kit
View Quote

Dude, they practically give those away and the little lipstick case AK kit is probably the cleverest thing about the AK.
Pick one up for a couple of bucks. The brushes alone are worth the $5 or less you'll spend on one.
Fits in the trapdoor of a regular AK butt stock so you always have it and the rod in the field.

It's a pretty small punch, maybe 1/8th or 3/16 or metric equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to disassemble and clean a bolt that's used with corrosive ammo more often, and if the commercial ammo is a dirtier type.

To disassemble, you need a 3/32" punch.  A Sears Craftsman is perfect.

Remember, when disassembling, the firing pin retainer pin is pushed out from the LEFT side.  The right size is slightly mushroomed to prevent it from entering too far.  The retainer pin will be flush with the bolt head on that side.

When reassembling you have to get the notched extractor retainer pin properly rotated so the firing pin retainer pin can properly interlock with it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I just did on my Mak 90 I've owned it for about 6 years now and have about 6k rounds through it. The process is not overly complicated and fairly easy to do
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]
A very good video showing you how to disassemble the bolt, clean, lube and reassemble > >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxC3lXAxro
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never taken a bolt apart, even after 10 years. I've never gad a problem, but & spray through the firing pin channel with brake cleaner, & then gun oil. I also never use corrosive ammo, or anything from Russia. I purchased tons of SA ammo years ago, & that's all I use. Brass case.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How often does the bolt need to be broken down to clean the firing pin, channel, and extractor? Ive cleaned my AK quite a few times in the 3k rounds ive put down range but I have never done this once
View Quote

Depends on conditions. Never shoot in the rain or use corrosive ammo? Probably okay to run a few thousand thru the rifle w/o stripping the bolt.

Personally, I live in Oregon, shoot in the rain, and use corrosive ammo. I generally strip the bolt every other range trip, unless it has gotten wet or I see any signs of rusting. I also strip it before storing the rifle for long periods of time.

H
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Personally, I live in Oregon, shoot in the rain, and use corrosive ammo.

I generally strip the bolt every other range trip, unless it has gotten wet or I see any signs of rusting. I also strip it before storing the rifle for long periods of time.
View Quote

I didn't think you can even find corrosive ammo anymore.

Even that cheap TulAmmo 7.62x39 from Russia is not corrosive anymore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I live in Oregon, shoot in the rain, and use corrosive ammo.

I generally strip the bolt every other range trip, unless it has gotten wet or I see any signs of rusting. I also strip it before storing the rifle for long periods of time.

I have a decent stash of Yugo M67 made in the '70s. For some of the matches I shoot I need non-magnetic copper jacket bulleted ammo. M67 fits that bill but is corrosively primed.

H
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO the only time you would need to do this is to change out an fp; or be like me and take it apart just because I like to disassemble firearms fully when I first get them.   I soak mine after shooting corrosive ammo in whatever petrochemical solvent I have laying around the house at the time.   I am sure Ballistol works too, but that is a bit spendy to be soaking bolts with.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#12]
For bolt cleaning I use a small alum. or plastic pan from take out food with Hoppe's bore cleaner in it. Let it soak for 10 min. then manually work the firing pin, soak some more. All done then dry and lightly oil pin front & rear.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I make it a point to break down every firearm entirely for a thorough cleaning after every time I shoot each one, because 1) it is a good habit and keeps your firearms it as best condition as possible imho and 2) you will never know when shtf or something happens and you'll need it
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I make it a point to break down every firearm entirely for a thorough cleaning after every time I shoot each one, because 1) it is a good habit and keeps your firearms it as best condition as possible imho and 2) you will never know when shtf or something happens and you'll need it
View Quote

This seems a little excessive to me and could possibly cause premature wear on the firearm specifically small parts and the pins used to hold them in place but that's just me. I have a log and a routine I follow rifle gets field stripped and cleaned every time I shoot, every 3k rounds or a part breaks (never had anything break on an ak) it gets detail stripped as much as I can and cleaned.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you use an ultrasonic cleaner that way I don't need to disassemble the bolt?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you use an ultrasonic cleaner that way I don't need to disassemble the bolt?
View Quote

That's how I do mine.

I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#17]
IIRC the Russians did not call for bolt disassembly during regular field strip cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]
the risk of disassembling a bolt in the field far exceeds any potential advantage, in my opinion.  

If you are concerned with corrosive ammo, just rinse it out with plain ole' water (hot water preferred).  Blow dry.

As mentioned above, as long as the (non-spring-loaded type) firing pin moves under its own weight, it is fine.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top