Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2013 5:52:58 PM EDT
Does anyone know what type/sort of oil was issued for use with the AK?
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
from what ive read at least in war times ,motor oil
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
From what little I've found about this they don't use any kind of lubrication and in fact, in extreme cold lubrication is forbidden. For cleaning they used some kind of diesel-like solvent. I could be wrong about all of this though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From what little I've found about this they don't use any kind of lubrication and in fact, in extreme cold lubrication is forbidden. For cleaning they used some kind of diesel-like solvent. I could be wrong about all of this though.

If that were true, why are there so many surplus oil bottles around.  Why would their manual specify a cleaning solvent, a lubricating oil, and a cold weather oil?
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
They spec a light weight oil similar to hydraulic fluid with different additives.

Aeroshell Fluid 18 is a very close match. I get it for about $30 a gallon from Skygeek.com and I've used it for gun lube on everything I own with good results. It's thin and creepy and has a good EP additive and anti-rust properties. I've used it after cleaning my AK with water (after shooting corrosive ammo) in the rain (I do live in Oregon) in 100% humidity and had no rust 2 days later.

The AK service manual (translated Sov)  I have says rifles should be oiled normally in cold weather and to cut the normal rifle oil with kerosene in extreme cold. It never calls out running rifles dry.

H
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that were true, why are there so many surplus oil bottles around.

easy, they were never used.  

j/k of course.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 5w-20 on all rifles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No offense, but I don't care what you use and that isn't what I asked.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If that were true, why are there so many surplus oil bottles around.  Why would their manual specify a cleaning solvent, a lubricating oil, and a cold weather oil?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The poster you quoted doesn't know what he's talking about. It's hard to say for sure what the Russians use but you are correct they have a cleaning solvent, lubricating oil, cold weather oil and a long term storage oil.
The member who poster right under your post that I quoted had the best answer.

Here's something else people don't get right. The Russians clean their AKs and do so on a regular basis. The manual even states that they must clean their AK during any lull in combat and their NCO and Officers must inspect each AK and give it their ok or tell the soldier to do another cleaning. The only people who don't clean and lube their AKs are third world savages and Americans that don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Baby seal blood.

Read the whole thing and I'll keep watching for the exact answer, but I can kinda guess all the common equiv's (if not the exact mixes) to the Russian solvents and oils will be...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I am really curious as to what they use/used as well.    I am guessing the USSR had some fairly sophisticated state of the art lube technology early on developed for  their aircraft and space industries.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
In soviet russia, AK lubes you!  I'm pretty much thinking it's not very picky.  I just lubed mine with some CLP and used some Tetra grease where there is metal to metal contact on the receiver and hammer face.

Just bought my Saiga on Friday, tho.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close, but no soup. ATF is the best gun oil you can buy, plain old dexron/mercon.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top