Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2013 10:15:01 AM EDT
I found a MAK-90 locally for reasonable price but I have one question...
The seller had painted the rifle with Krylon spray paint over parts of the rifle and the stock for the camo look.
I hate the colors on it and would like to know if it can be completely removed without damaging the metal and stock?
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
They make a spray called Aircraft Remover. It will eat off the Krylon. It might hurt the finish on the stock, but you can always give in a sanding and a restain.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Where do they sell that stuff?
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Citri-strip spray, available at most big box hardware stores.  It will remove varnish, so keep it off the wood.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where do they sell that stuff?

Auto zone.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Try carb cleaner from wal-mart. I am currently in the process of stripping some sort of paint of my Saiga and carb cleaner is working perfectly without harming the finish. Although I have removed all furniture from my Saiga prior to cleaning but carb cleaner seems the less destructive out of finish removers i've looked into.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
could it not be sand blasted?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Professional painter and finisher here 15 years in the business. Use Xylol. Wear gloves, put xylol on rag wipe on rifle and let sit for a few mins. Wipe clean with rag, may take a few passes. Xylol is available at Home Depot or any paint store. Xylol is toxic and removes any paint finish.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Brake or carb cleaner will take it right off
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try carb cleaner from wal-mart. I am currently in the process of stripping some sort of paint of my Saiga and carb cleaner is working perfectly without harming the finish. Although I have removed all furniture from my Saiga prior to cleaning but carb cleaner seems the less destructive out of finish removers i've looked into.
View Quote

THIS !!!

I bought an SKS that had been spray painted. Carb cleaner removed the paint and didn't touch the shellac.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Powder Blast in the gun cleaning section of Wal-Mart will take it off.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
NM dupe.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Laquer thinner
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]
CitriStrip is the way to go, for sure.  Clean with NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner (for the metal parts) prior to using the CitriStrip.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I use MEK with a toothbrush on the occasion that I need to remove my rattle-can finishes from something where the original black color is more appropriate for resale.

This doesn't work so well if your original finish is teh sux, such as K-var's.    But for parkerized, gunkote, blued . . . it works fine.

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Powder Blast in the gun cleaning section of Wal-Mart will take it off.
View Quote
Seriously, nothing works better than this.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Brownells manes a spray called TCE and its like 11 bucks, takes krylon off even took alumahyde off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#17]
acetone might work too.  i know a guy that used it to get a hideous spray paint job off his truck.  didnt hurt the clear coat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I found a MAK-90 locally for reasonable price but I have one question...
The seller had painted the rifle with Krylon spray paint over parts of the rifle and the stock for the camo look.
I hate the colors on it and would like to know if it can be completely removed without damaging the metal and stock?
View Quote

I would try to find someone who has a bead blasting cabinet. It going to be easier and cheaper in the end.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Professional painter and finisher here 15 years in the business. Use Xylol. Wear gloves, put xylol on rag wipe on rifle and let sit for a few mins. Wipe clean with rag, may take a few passes. Xylol is available at Home Depot or any paint store. Xylol is toxic and removes any paint finish.
View Quote

Asa scientist I agree. but be sure to use  an area with lots of air flow and gloves, otherwise your liver is going to be unhappy!
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Asa scientist I agree. but be sure to use  an area with lots of air flow and gloves, otherwise your liver is going to be unhappy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use that shit sometimes with no gloves and no ventilation and it hasn't harmed me yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I use that shit sometimes with no gloves and no ventilation and it hasn't harmed me yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the point of announcing to the world how foolish you choose to be?

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top