BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2012 11:35:01 PM EDT
I was looking at better lubrication for my AK & found this video on using lithium grease.  Does anyone here use this same product to keep your actions smooth?  If so, what kind?  I'm seeing different kinds of grease from "general purpose", so "high preseure" versions of the grease.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I run with Tetra.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Lithium grease is all I use on my AKs. Works great and its cheap.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A water and heat resistant grease works very well. Lithium grease is excellent, and Lubriplate 120 brand lithium grease was the official grease for the M1 rifle.

Most any lithium grease from a hardware, auto supply, farm supply, or Walmart will work perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a big tube of it from Amsoil (the kind that goes in a grease gun) and that's all I've used since.  The tube will probably last me a lifetime which I guess means either I need more AK's to lube or I need to make mine dirty more often.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I use it and it works great. I get a can of it from my auto parts store and it'll last years!!!!!

Impala;
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the wal-mart brand of high temp/high pressure grease from the can. Like others have said, the can will last years. I use the same stuff on my other firearms where grease is desired.

Use a q-tip, and put a light coat on the rails. You only need enough to make it look "wet" without gooping it on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Lubri Plate grease in mine...I figure that if it was used to lube Garand's so it can't be all bad.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw the same video. Been using LG ever since .  Works great.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I use wheel bearing grease that is designed for boat trailers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had white lithium grease gum up and cause malfunctions in rifles.  I think it is crap and would never use it in a gun.  I know some people swear by it.  Maybe it's unique to the desert, but here it turns with time into a crumbly clay.  

I use wheel bearing grease.  Coastal brand - chosen 'cause it is amber and not black.  The moly stuff worked fine but got black crap all over everything.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Super Lube multi-purpose synthetic grease on the rails and lugs. I just use a thin coat so it doesn't collect dirt, it has worked really well for me.
I am a big fan of the stuff because it doesn't run, drip, evaporate, form gummy deposits, and it won't melt or separate.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I use TW25B on my SGL21 only because i have a good supply of it on hand. When it runs out i'll probably buy the cheaper wheel bearing grease. I'll have to look at the local stores and see if they have the coastal brand here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I've used general purpose lithium grease since I saw Jim Fuller recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used this too. So far, so good. GARY

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Use lithium on all sorts of guns.

Nary a problem in years and years and years.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had white lithium grease gum up and cause malfunctions in rifles.  I think it is crap and would never use it in a gun.  I know some people swear by it.  Maybe it's unique to the desert, but here it turns with time into a crumbly clay.  

I use wheel bearing grease.  Coastal brand - chosen 'cause it is amber and not black.  The moly stuff worked fine but got black crap all over everything.  

I've been running Tetra in ARs & AKs for 10 years and I have not had one malfunction that could be traced to the lubricant.

Link Posted: 10/15/2012 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a believer in Lithium grease myself..

I run it on all my aks and handguns too.  Not bad at all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I live in Vegas, and granted, it does not get as arid here as it does in Arizona,but pretty damn close.

I've yet to run across that issue.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
weapon shield grease works great and is non toxic,smells decent too
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Vegas, and granted, it does not get as arid here as it does in Arizona,but pretty damn close.

I've yet to run across that issue.

I always understood that Lithium Grease was known for being able to stand up to extreme heat and force which is why it was used in the first place.  I don't live in the desert by any means so I can't attest to its usefulness in a gun out there in the west, but in the mild (often humid) conditions here on the East coast, it stand up perfectly and has yet to fail me.  I use it exclusively on all AK variants.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Superlube. Makes cleaing a snap, super temp variable and cheap.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been converted to FROGLUBE for everything , After 500rds of blank through a Ak it wiped clean
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Mobile 1 synthetic grease for me. Use it on my m1a too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Lithium grease imo shouldn't be used on guns as it will attract and hold dirt.........
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#26]
LubriPlate...and never had a malfunction.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

i experienced the same results living in tucson. although i never ran it long enough to see malfunctions, it did cake and clump up. i just recently tried slip 2000 grease. we'll see ow that goes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I use Kleen-bore, Now I wonder? Never had a problem but I wonder if I've been running "dry" all this time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I use USGI grease.  The ones that come in the little plastic canisters with they yellow screw on lids.  Worked fine for me for years and years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Wally World High Pressure/High Temp grease on the rails and muzzle threads.  I use a q-tip to "wet" the surface and figure I'll be dust long before that can will ever run out.  Based on what I've seen, even after a day of burning an entire spam can, the grease on the rails holds up.  The grease on the muzzle threads will liquefy and run out but there's enough left over to prevent it from seizing up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I use it on my AK's.  I like it because it's cheap as heck (I buy lithium grease under the guise of garage door lube) and it doesn't run like CLP.  As for attracting dirt...maybe a little more than usual, but it would have to attract a hell-of-alot more than dirt to stop an AK
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Mobil 1 for me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Wheel bearing grease for the rails and bolt carrier and trigger surfaces,CLP to wipe off the exterior.Makes a smokey wisp after a couple of mag dumps.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#34]
At the risk of sounding like a gunplumber groupie, I've got a similar ratty assed tub of Coastal grease sitting on my bench that's worked great for years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
At the risk of sounding like a gunplumber groupie, I've got a similar ratty assed tub of Coastal grease sitting on my bench that's worked great for years.

word..  but i do use the black moly.. was using CLP (I came from AR world yearsago) but got tired of the evaporation leaving the massive tolerances of the AK dry.. tried Moly and it was very messy.. sooo

I mixed moly bearing grease with CLP in a nail polish bottle.  The CLP keeps the Moly grease in suspension.  shake and apply with brush.  when the wet CLP evaporates I have a nice thin layer of Moly and what ever CLP is when it drys.  It works on my Glocks too..

FWIW.. the say not to use Moly on aluminim

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Recently switched from Mobil 1 to ultra lube white lithium grease. The WL grease really smooths the action.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#37]
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379954/lubriplate-sfl-0-gun-grease-14-oz-can

Best stuff there is, no contest, cheaper too, one can will pretty much last you a lifetime.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#38]
i've been using slip Slip 2000 EWG the past year on my AK's seems G-T-G so far.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lithium grease imo shouldn't be used on guns as it will attract and hold dirt.........
View Quote

I used automotive lithium grease for decades without a single problem before switching to Tetra Gun Grease. There are two main reasons anybody has a problem with LG on a weapon: it is because they are putting it where grease should never be used on a firearm (firing pin) or they use it like they are packing bearings on a '57 Chevy IE way too much! LG on firearms should be applied as if one was using oil IE a very very thin coat just on the wear surfaces. It is OK and encouraged to remove any excess as it is that excess that can and will cause issues.

At $5 for a one ounce tube, one can't go wrong with Tetra Gun Grease. Even more important, it has the widest operating temperature range. Lastly, Tetra BONDS to metal which is why one applies a very light coat then one buffs it dry to a debris repelling glass smooth surface. Because of how one applies Tetra, there is no migration to places grease should not be, there is nothing for anything to cling to and no gathering point, while everything it is properly applied to is fully lubricated. Next, I then use CLP Breakfree anywhere grease should not be used (again sparingly).

The last time at the range, I put several boxes of rounds through my Glock 17L and when finished shooting, we broke down and cleaned our weapons. Kevin thought I was cleaning the wrong pistol (I have 3 Glocks in 9MM) because of how clean it was inside. Tetra makes AK cleaning very simple and quick because the fouling is not glued to any lubricate. If one had to, one could just blow the fouling away with dry compressed air and almost be at a clean weapon but would definitely be at a weapon that would fire reliably (its an AK after all). The frame rails, BCG, and the gas rod piston are the places I have seen the greatest improvements in using Tetra on the AK platform.

Gun Butter versus Tetra, I prefer the Tetra due to it bonding (I know its lubricated) and because there is nothing to collect debris.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I finally ran out of the USGI rifle grease so I picked up some Weapon Shield grease. I like it and it smells good.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I have grown a huge respect for Mobil 1 full syn grease. I use this stuff on EVERYTHING. Ultra high temp, AND stays soft in extreme cold (such is the case up here in northern New England ) Use it on everything from my motocross bikes to my Zastavas'   ;)
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Weapon Shield

I use this for my gun grease now, fantastic stuff.  It and its CLP stable mate are one of the best corrrosion fighters out there too as proven in tests.

Smells like cinnamon. really nice change from all the other gun goop I use.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Mobil 1.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wheel bearing grease for the rails and bolt carrier and trigger surfaces,CLP to wipe off the exterior.Makes a smokey wisp after a couple of mag dumps.
View Quote

hahaha was doing a drill last weekend when the CLP on my SGL21 cooked off the barrel and gas system were smoking.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Any surface that slides across another surface gets greased, for my pistols that's TW25B, in my rifles that's synthetic axle grease. Everything else gets CLP'd. But I don't think all White Lithium grease is the same. I've had good luck with stuff from a tube but the stuff in an aerosol can seems to dry out quickly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#47]
http://www.amazon.com/Lubriplate-Assembly-Grease-Large-L0034-092/dp/B00C7YUMQ4/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1409394311&sr=1-3&keywords=NLGI+No.+0
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes. Lithium grease works great, and it doesn't take much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes. Lithium grease works great, and it doesn't take much.
View Quote

+1. Ultra Lube white lithium grease for me, and VERY sparingly. It's NOT an AR. It doesn't NEED to be wet. Those AK's in the middle east have been running dry for generations and keep on going. If you're from an AR background, it's tough to get used to it... but the AK does NOT need to be lubed to work (that's good engineering). It WILL benefit from it though (smoother, rust inhibitor in bad weather, etc)... but PLEASE use it sparingly. Grease/oil are dirt traps. Don't use it where you don't need it (which on the ak is.... nowhere).  A little doesn't hurt, so don't go overboard.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I use White Lithium Grease as well.... Seems to work great..... It cycles smoother, plus the grease is inexpensive.... I dont have to worry about it evaporating..............
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top