Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/11/2012 7:46:05 PM EDT
Okay, as detailed here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_54/141113_Klimovsk_Ammo_report_.html&page=2

I got an AK rusted up by using "non-corrosive" ammunition.    

Now up front: I know that water is a best friend, ballistol/ammonia,whatever everyone's opinion is, is best for cleaning up the salts BEFORE they start corrosion.

Now the question is:   What do I use afterwards to stop corrosion that started?  

The first time I cleaned the gun, everything was a solid rust red, and clumps of it.   After cleaning, a day later, there was a thin red film all over.

I cleaned it a second time, scrubbing the dickens out of it all and coated everything with CLP.

24 hours no rust, now 48 hours later there's a purplish blotch showing up in the gas block, and a thin screen of rust on the ridges of the gas tube.

What the Heck do I use to stop the friggin rust?      One guy mentioned CorrosionX, but I can't find any locally, I can order some.        One guy mentioned water/ammonia mix, but I don't think that will work to actually dissolve the already-started rust and clean it good.

Any tips?     This is a heckuva gun and I'm wanting to friggin cure this before stuff gets too bad.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
anything that removes rust will remove bluing, keep that in mind.

is your bore chrome lined?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, chrome lined bore.  Not super-worried about the finish, typical Romy finish, no loss if it's gone because it'll wear off in 6 months anyway
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Take furniture off the gun and wash in hot soapy water because you've already oiled it and salts are hiding under the oil. The hot water and detergent (strong degreaser) will cut the oil and flush away the salts. Rinse with hot water. Spray down with WD-40 after you get it as dry as you can. Remove excess WD-40 and apply whatever gun oil you normally use. After firing corrosive next time, mix up a batch of Ballistol/water and use it to wash every surface in the gun. Drain/wipe the excess away and use either straight Ballistol for your CLP or whatever you like. Or, do the soap and water/WD-40 thing again. Takes me about 30 minutes to do mine with the emulsion after getting home from the range. I can then put the gun away for an indeterminate period without being concerned about corrosion from the ammo. Later, maybe the next day or when I think about it, I get it out and use straight Ballistol to clean the bore and oil the gun. Everything has a thin film of protection on it anyway from the emulsion wash.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Piss, seariously.....

I've got a AK that I torture, I piss in it all the time for a laugh and the bore is near mint even though the rifle is rougher than hell.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Get out the Ballistol Mixed w/Water (BMW), the cleaning rod, and the brush that comes in the kit. Using plenty of BMW and the brush scrub everywhere that gets powder fouling on it. Get extra in the gas block so it drains into the barrel to flush out the gas port. You want enough BMW on it that the barrel drains when you tilt the rifle muzzle down. I do this outside as it's really messy.

Dry everything you got wet, then apply CLP or straight Ballistol liberally. Either one will creep under and into joints and prevent rust.

Check the rifle the next day. You'll see rusting from any spots you missed and may see Ballistol reacting with copper fouling and turning green. If you see any more rust clean the rifle again.

The Sov manual calls for cleaning the rifle each day for 3 days after firing: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B09fZpC9S7gDMmYyMGI2Y2MtMzQ3MC00MDU3LTk0Y2ItYjBlZTNiNDc5NWE0&authkey=CLT79qIH

H
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Piss, seariously.....

I've got a AK that I torture, I piss in it all the time for a laugh and the bore is near mint even though the rifle is rougher than hell.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7910/dsc0104wh.jpg

that sucker looks bad ass, did you finish that wood yourself?
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Like Caser said, if it removes rust, it removes bluing.  Having said that, if the corrosion is bad enough that it is pitting the metal, treating it with Naval Jelly will do the trick.  I picked it up at Lowes to use on the metal pipe running from my gas meter into my house and it worked great.  I recently used it on a gas tube, metal followers and floor plates.  Since it removes the bluing it will leave the metal bare so make sure you put plenty of gun oil on it and get it blued as soon as you can.  If you don't the rust will come back quickly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoulda returned back: I did elsewhere but not here

I got a can of "Corrosion-Block".  Sprayed it on and let it sit overnight: Next morning, I tipped it out, reddish fluid flowed out: not a speck of rust has showed up again in the gas tube/gas block,etc.

I'm sold on the stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Part of the problem is, the corrosive fouling can get covered with a caked-on layer of carbon and ordinary flushing may not get to it.
After cleaning with water the corrosive salts start to leech out from under the carbon and you get rust.

A good way to help prevent this is to clean your gas block and gas tube with Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter.
This is a water-based chemical that removes carbon by just soaking it for 15 minutes or so.  Since it's also water-based it removes the corrosive salts too.

Corrosive primer residue is insidious stuff.
It was first positively identified as the corrosive element in the 1920's when the military began to unpack and inspect WWI 1903 and 1917 rifles that had been cleaned and packed away after the war.
They were shocked to find rifles rusted UNDER heavy coats of cosmoline.
They had a chemist investigate what could cause rust under protective grease and he discovered the element was a form of salt produced by the primer.
Before this it was thought corrosion was caused by an acid in the powder.
The military immediately developed a bore solvent that dissolved and flushed the salts out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
corrosion block sounds like good stuff. there are some great replies here... just to add in a pinch you could use vinegar to clean and protect it might smell worse than Piss though?
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#11]
3 in1 oil is an awesome rust buster in my experience. I've used it in nagants before for this with great results. As far as piss goes I've yet to try it. I'm gonna save you guys the trouble, and tell you that poop does not work. At all........
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I know we're not in GD but this thread had me lol'ing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
What brand of Corrosion Block works best? There are a few
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Like Caser said, if it removes rust, it removes bluing.  Having said that, if the corrosion is bad enough that it is pitting the metal, treating it with Naval Jelly will do the trick.  I picked it up at Lowes to use on the metal pipe running from my gas meter into my house and it worked great.  I recently used it on a gas tube, metal followers and floor plates.  Since it removes the bluing it will leave the metal bare so make sure you put plenty of gun oil on it and get it blued as soon as you can.  If you don't the rust will come back quickly.

Actually outers makes a good rust remover that does not remove the bluing. I have used it before. You really have to work on it a while because the outers isn't extremely strong. However, as long as the rust isn't in the bore then your fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]
this got off topic.. retraction
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Piss, seariously.....

And THAT is why I bought an AK. You can't  kill it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Kroil oil will remove the rust. Let it soak over night, then clean again and repeat the soaking & cleaning each day, for about a week. I have done this with antiques and it has worked without removing the orginial finish. It does take time and tlc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kroil oil will remove the rust. Let it soak over night, then clean again and repeat the soaking & cleaning each day, for about a week. I have done this with antiques and it has worked without removing the orginial finish. It does take time and tlc.

Kroil for the win.  Plus, the smell is delightful :)  CorrosionX is highly reviewed as well but I can't speak from personal experience.  And like others have said, be sure to thoroughly clean off the existing salts with hot soapy water several times then clean with CLP or whatever you use as normal with a metal brush.  Then work on removing the existing rust.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered some corrosionX 2 weeks ago, I have it in my hands. Just cause you cant find something locally ....
Once you used the clr you should have used some corrosionx right away.
Do it again and do it right.
Ready?
Begin.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Those two guns I used Corrosion X on never have rusted again.  And I've used it several more times, been spotless ever since.

I'll alwys keep a couple cans of this around
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
To you guys using or recommending the Corrosion X,  their website lists several different products.

Are we talking about Corrosion X for guns, the regular Corrosion X, or the Corrosion X Rust Remover?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#24]
The good thing about AKs, it would shoot even if its corrosive unless you have cheap Chinese built.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To you guys using or recommending the Corrosion X,  their website lists several different products.

Are we talking about Corrosion X for guns, the regular Corrosion X, or the Corrosion X Rust Remover?

Thanks
View Quote

I use the regular corrosionX in the red container. I just bought a spray bottle of it, I like it so well :)
A competition 3 gun shooter out of Texarkana turned me on to it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Eezox and nothing else for corrosion resistance, you hear???
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What are you trying to say?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The good thing about AKs, it would shoot even if its corrosive unless you have cheap Chinese built.

That he's an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I am new to this corrosive ammo............I under stand if I were to go and fire a couple of hundred rounds( 200 to 400 ) I would need to clean the rifle but what if I want to just fire 2 mags will I still need to go thru the all the cleaning?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am new to this corrosive ammo............I under stand if I were to go and fire a couple of hundred rounds( 200 to 400 ) I would need to clean the rifle but what if I want to just fire 2 mags will I still need to go thru the all the cleaning?
View Quote

if you are only going to shoot 2 mags, maybe look into getting some wolf 545, i dont think its corrosive. its more expensive but for those 2 mag shooting sessions it might work. i do that for when my son wants to shoot. he' s young and generally only needs 4 or 5 mags to be satisfied.

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That he's an idiot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That he's an idiot.

Yeah, I second that....saw his post and was like ...OP, I use a routine of Hoppe's #9 first followed by the Ballistol/water mix. The Hoppes cut the carbon and exposes the salts to the BWM for more thorough cleaning. The Hoppes will remove some of the salts just by cleaning but the BWM will take care of any of the remaining salt residue. Use lube of choice then check it the next day to see if any rust is starting to develop, if so repeat the process.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Piss, seariously.....

View Quote

WTF

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I ordered some corrosionX 2 weeks ago, I have it in my hands. Just cause you cant find something locally ....
Once you used the clr you should have used some corrosionx right away.
Do it again and do it right.
Ready?
Begin.
View Quote

Will the CorrosionX penetrate the layer left by the clr or is it better to put the CorrosionX directly on bare metal after cleaning?
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top