Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 2:42:11 AM EDT
How on earth do you remove them? I looked at them said nah...I'll ask the internet. I'm looking to install a vertical grip and cannot figure out how to remove them. I know you have to turn the lever by the rear sight but beyond that I'm lost. Thanks a bunch from a newbie to the ak47 platform
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Which ones? The long type or the short type?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
short type
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
short type
View Quote

Then it's essentially the same process as field stripping an AK with standard furniture. Just look on Youtube for AK field strip and you should get tons of videos. If you gas tube retaining lever is too tight to move with your hand you may need to use your AK cleaning kit tube (if you have one) or a pair of pliers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yupp I figured it out thank you!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Then it's essentially the same process as field stripping an AK with standard furniture. Just look on Youtube for AK field strip and you should get tons of videos. If you gas tube retaining lever is too tight to move with your hand you may need to use your AK cleaning kit tube (if you have one) or a pair of pliers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
short type

You can use your bolt carrier (you have to remove it from the rifle first anyway to strip it to be able to take off the gas tube right?)  

There is a notch on the bottom of the carrier that is the same size as the side of the gas tube release lever.  

Slip bolt carrier 'notch' over the lever, twist the wrist and the lever will move up or down with no extra spare tools or parts needed and plus it won't damage your finish like using pliers, screw drivers or hammers will.    

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can use your bolt carrier (you have to remove it from the rifle first anyway to strip it to be able to take off the gas tube right?)  

There is a notch on the bottom of the carrier that is the same size as the side of the gas tube release lever.  

Slip bolt carrier 'notch' over the lever, twist the wrist and the lever will move up or down with no extra spare tools or parts needed and plus it won't damage your finish like using pliers, screw drivers or hammers will.    

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
short type

BIGGER_HAMMER

I always forget about that one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I learned it from binge-watching Rob Ski (AK Operators Union) on YouTube.  It took me a couple of videos to realize what he was doing.  

I always used a screwdriver to pry it up before learning it from him, and I scratched the crap out of my rifles a few times when in a hurry.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tip! haha Bigger hammer
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I learned it from binge-watching Rob Ski (AK Operators Union) on YouTube.  It took me a couple of videos to realize what he was doing.  

I always used a screwdriver to pry it up before learning it from him, and I scratched the crap out of my rifles a few times when in a hurry.
View Quote

I learned that back in the early 90's from my Ol' First Sarge, who had acquired knowledge of the AK-47 firsthand in an "Unpleasant Asian Environment"...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI a standard AK cleaning kit has a slot in the tube for just this purpose.

ETA: Here is a wonderful thread that explains just how many uses that seemingly simple cleaning kit can be used for, much like the AK itself it looks simple but in reality is a brilliantly thought-out system:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234108

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
short type

BIGGER_HAMMER

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top