Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2016 11:56:19 PM EDT
I'm building one of my last AK kits I've held onto for the last 10 years.  Kind of wondering if there's any "screaming deals" to be had out there in the AK build world or if it's pretty much done at this point?  Seems like after you get the kit, the barrel, the receiver, and compliance parts you're getting close to the price of a factory gun.  Or am I off on my figures?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm afraid the deals on AK kits are a thing of the past. I recall a few years ago getting the Romanian kits (everything except receiver) for $125. My best deal was a Bulgarian AK74 kit for $115.00. I haven't seen  them for sale lately, but the last time I looked, I saw those kits for several hundred dollars and they weren't even complete kits!

Sent them all to Rifle Dynamics and now I have some kick-ass AK's.

Too bad those days are gone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I am starting to think that's the case. I might acquire a random mix of parts over the next few years and build a mixmaster khyber pass gun. Probably done with kit builds at that point though. Too bad Saigas aren't being imported still. I could see my way to converting those.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I really miss the low priced kits, going from gun show to gun show looking for just the right kit.
My lowest cost build was a Romy "G" I picked the kit up for $40 because of missing parts (the trigger guard) he was selling the full kits for $50. I picked up a trigger guard for $4 at a local show. I had some rusty flats I got for $5 ea. & a few other parts to put together for a total build price of about $80.
I got into that Bulgarian AK74 kit buy for $115.00 that Nick710 talked about, I bought four of them.

I built one & held onto the other three until just before Christmas, then sold them that paid for the kids christmas that year.
I still have a few odd kits that I'm holding onto for a rainy day.

The best buy on a kit now days I think is from AK Builder. It is hard to beat a kit with a head spaced, populated barrel.
I wouldn't call it a "screaming deal" but it is low enough to still be fun building.
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=231
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think there are even any "softly mewling deals" in kits these days. Which sucks, because I bought a handful of flats years ago figuring the kits would always be around. And now kits cost the same ballpark as factory guns.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
All of the Bulgarian kits were really the last great deal, and I suspect that whoever was parting them out is probably now selling them whole to Ukraine and others.

I got my two for a little over $100/ea.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think there are even any "softly mewling deals" in kits these days. Which sucks, because I bought a handful of flats years ago figuring the kits would always be around. And now kits cost the same ballpark as factory guns.
View Quote

I have a bunch of flats too. When I bought for a particular build, I would buy two or three in case I messed up one bending it.
Have you ever thought of selling them? I keep thinking about it but then I think what if I find someone with a kit they want to get rid of. LOL
Probably wouldn't get much for them now.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top