Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 9:51:39 PM EDT
If I wanted to build on one of those Russian kits out there minus the hard to find barrel and wasn't worried about perfection couldn't i use a barrel from KVAR made for a 90 degree block and put a 90 degree block on the gun with a tube and piston from a 74 if necessary?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You could, but why would you pay the premium for a Russian kit if you're not going to build it as intended? I'm going to assume that this would be an AKM kit, in which case there are plenty of barrels out there that will work with it without having to resort to a '74 pattern barrel. Such as the newly imported Polish barrels.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could, but why would you pay the premium for a Russian kit if you're not going to build it as intended? I'm going to assume that this would be an AKM kit, in which case there are plenty of barrels out there that will work with it without having to resort to a '74 pattern barrel. Such as the newly imported Polish barrels.
View Quote

Who is importing Polish barrels? I thought there was a ban on importation of barrels??
Did I sleep to long last night, & they chance the laws while I wasn't watching?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not really concerned with cost or originality.  I would like to build a underfolder off a Russian AKM kit and I want to use the abosolute best barrel that I can find.  I scoured the Internet for a original Russian barrel and I am skeptical about the Romy barrels with Russian marks.  What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Who is importing Polish barrels? I thought there was a ban on importation of barrels??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a ban on importation of "machine gun" barrels. The barrels being imported from Poland are new and have never been installed, so therefore they're "sporter" barrels and importable.

http://armsofamerica.com/polishfbradombrandnew762x39coldhammerforgedbarrelbuyanyv-projectproductpartskitandorqty3andreceive1000offeachbarrel.aspx
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not really concerned with cost or originality.  I would like to build a underfolder off a Russian AKM kit and I want to use the abosolute best barrel that I can find.  I scoured the Internet for a original Russian barrel and I am skeptical about the Romy barrels with Russian marks.  What do you recommend?
View Quote

I understand that you're not concerned about cost or originality, but there's no point in spending more money on parts that offer no increase in quality. Russian parts have the most value when built as intended, and since this isn't your concern you'd be better off saving money and getting a Polish, Hungarian, Romanian, etc. kit which will serve the same purpose.

I assume by "absolute best" barrel your main concern is cold hammer forged? In which case there's zero evidence that a cold hammer forged barrel is "best", especially with a semi-auto build. AK-Builder barrels are typically across the board more accurate than combloc barrels according to my own experiences as well as other's. There are obviously people that disagree with that, yet they can never show any evidence of the contrary. Furthermore, AK-Builder barrels have been shown to have the same hardness as factory CHF barrels (something that was assumed to be the opposite up until recently).

The only reason to find an original Russian AKM barrel would be for "correctness", and not for having "the best". Since your intent isn't correctness, again, spending the premium on that part would be an exercise in futility.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's a ban on importation of "machine gun" barrels. The barrels being imported from Poland are new and have never been installed, so therefore they're "sporter" barrels and importable.

http://armsofamerica.com/polishfbradombrandnew762x39coldhammerforgedbarrelbuyanyv-projectproductpartskitandorqty3andreceive1000offeachbarrel.aspx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You for that link. I'm just getting back into building the last kit I built was right after the ban. I thought I was going to have to build on a US barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank You for that link. I'm just getting back into building the last kit I built was right after the ban. I thought I was going to have to build on a US barrel.
View Quote

You're welcome. Atlantic has them as well now. Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a quality US barrel.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're welcome. Atlantic has them as well now. Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a quality US barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got one, thanks.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top