Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2015 2:11:58 AM EDT
Can anyone who has successfully threaded the rear trunion on a Draco please give any advice. Ive read countless postings about taps breaking in the process and I dont want to find myself there. Of course ill be using cutting oil, but any other advise on what brand tap or tricks people used (without breaking) is appreciated. I picked up an Irwin tap, but im unsure as to the quality. Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Well after a little reading it sounds like the Irwin tap may be junk. I bought a Widia HSS tap instead that should give me better results. Will be threading this week and will update for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#2]

If you haven't spent much time with a hand tap, I'd get a piece of bar stock and practice maybe.

If you feel extra resistance and it feels like is seizing up, back off half a turn and try again. Don't force anything.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
UPDATE:

So worked like a charm! The Widia tap seemed to have a very sharp cut to it. The only thing now is my holes might not be perfectly aligned, which is gonna bother me ugggh.

Anyone now where to buy a rear Draco trunion if it ends up bothering me too much? It's really not off, but I'm a perfectionist sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Go ahead & build it by the time you are done you probably won't notice it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top