Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2015 1:59:17 AM EDT
Hey guys, I have an AKS-74u built on a Nodak receiver. I bought the gun whole from a retailer in my area that is now out of business. I live in CA so SBRs are a no go. The gun has the standard (10"?) barrel, with a length of pipe pinned/welded onto the front site threads to bring it out to 16".

The pipe is rough and ugly and if I have to have a 16" barrel, I might as well have 16".
I bought a new 16" AKSU barrel off of GB, and so I'd like to swap the barrels and get rid of the pipe. My question is if there is anything to be concerned or aware of in going from the shorter barrel to the longer?  Should the gas port be a different size?  

Secondly, is there a goto AK gunsmith or two around here?  I'm usually on the Retro AR forum, and there are a few guys we all get work from. Not sure if there's something like that on this side.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's an original Bulgarian barrel, it's worth a lotta coin.  I'd look into that, and then into having the pipe professionally/carefully removed if that's the case, once you get the new barrel pressed on.

Which, it turns out, isn't a difficult task at all to accomplish.  Press out pin, press out barrel, press in new barrel slowly headspacing as you go, drill/ream for pin, press in pin, pew pew pew.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunno about that.  It was built with a Russian kit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dunno about that.  It was built with a Russian kit.
View Quote

Post some pics of any markings on the barrel and we should be able to tell you. As to your question, you shouldn't have any issues going from a short barrel to long. Just make sure to drill the gas port smaller than the current one to start. If it short strokes then remove the gas block and drill slightly larger until it starts cycling normally.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Here are the only markings I can see on the barrel without pulling it from the trunioin:

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here are the only markings I can see on the barrel without pulling it from the trunioin:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8592/16608270711_620a945470_b.jpg
View Quote

Wtf? What part is that?

Pics of full rifle?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8592/16608270711_620a945470_b.jpg
View Quote

Those are the cooling vents to a PPSH-41. Those are definitely not  the same thing as an AK.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Christ, I'm a moron.

I've been thinking about rebarreling the PPSH as well.  I had it out at the range yesterday, and was cleaning it late last night, when I remembered this thread.  Anyway, I got mixed up about what I was asking for here.
Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Here's the AKSU Barrel, though I don't see any markings:

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
No markings makes the barrel US made; possibly an RGuns barrel. Is the bore chrome lined?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Honestly have no idea.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top