Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2017 6:43:08 PM EDT
So I have a BCM BCG, had it since like last Thanksgiving. Couple of weeks and a few hundred rounds later I noticed a gas ring had a chip and a slightly larger gap. Fired hundreds of rounds after that with zero issues. Saw RightToBear.com had a sale on a 1-piece gas ring, Probably a gimmick but went a head and ordered one. Installed it, now the bolt cannot hold up its own weight when stood on bolt face. Should I reinstall the old rings and order new?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't want to sound rude, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I only use/ replace my gas rings with mil-spec ones. I recommend everyone to do the same.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like BCM products. I have four of their BCG's in my builds.
So when I need gas rings or the rebuild kit, they are my go to company.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that it is on there, lube it and use it. Rings make the bolt snug when new.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought you were supposed to stand it bolt up, not on its face.  Some one dug up the actual wording some time ago, maybe the test can be found again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was taught bolt face on table with full weight of assembled BCG. Do so gently.

Just put proper gas rings on it. They're what, 100 for $5? If you have money to be shooting an ar, you can afford some gas rings every couple thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used the one piece rings.  Work fine.  I've also used the 3 piece rings.  They also work fine.  

If the rings are chipped, time to replace them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I'll order a 3-piece replacement, but I'll run some rounds through it as is, just for giggles.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
An AR will function with only one of the 3 rings installed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
JP bolts won't hold either on any kind of friction test but have never failed to cycle. I have a couple of un named sets of one piece that have friction on some mil spec bolts and they work well, no issues. Do not have any idea how long the one piece will last.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
1-piece gas ring replacements are a problem looking for a solution.

That and they're just preying on the age-old misconception/misinformation about staggering the gaps and all that nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a 15pc gas ring pack from Brownells.  The one piece gas rings do work, but get loose and fail the gas ring test quickly.  Minimum order today for free shipping is $49, or wait for a free shipping day.  

Brownells 15pk gas rings $8.99

The gas ring is cheap.  It is easy to forget them when cleaning and inspecting. I had several sets with one or two well worn rings, so I ended up buying a second pack of spares from Brownells.  Cheap and easy to replace. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
5 sets for $9... not bad. Glad I got the homeboy hookup from the armorers before I got out though. Shouldn't have to buy gas rings for the rest of my life.

Most armorers didn't even know what they were or how to replace them... Yet I wasn't allowed to take my trigger group apart (I did anyway)...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top