Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 6:37:25 PM EDT
I need to get a couple good upper and lower vise blocks to work with. Any recommendations? 

Will an upper vise block block suffice for changing out flash hiders on a 11.5" rifle, or will I need a specific barrel block?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the upper and lower blocks from plastixrevolution.net and the V groove vise jaws to work on barrels (muzzle devices).  I have used and own many different brands of blocks and barrels blocks but these seem to be all I use now.  Make sure you clean the barrel with alcohol before using the soft jaw vise blocks.  I have not had a barrel twist yet but I also have not tried to remove a stubborn muzzle device.

PlastixRevoloution Upper/ Lower blocks
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the upper and lower blocks from plastixrevolution.net and the V groove vise jaws to work on barrels (muzzle devices).  I have used and own many different brands of blocks and barrels blocks but these seem to be all I use now.  Make sure you clean the barrel with alcohol before using the soft jaw vise blocks.  I have not had a barrel twist yet but I also have not tried to remove a stubborn muzzle device.

View Quote
These are great and they sell them for less on ebay.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
i use the wheeler block, but the magpul bev seems to be a great option too as it holds the barrel extension
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT use an upper block to do muzzle device work.    Get a set of soft jaws for your vice, clamp the barrel in the soft jaws, and then do your muzzle device.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do NOT use an upper block to do muzzle device work.    Get a set of soft jaws for your vice, clamp the barrel in the soft jaws, and then do your muzzle device.
View Quote
It is perfectly fine to use a set of blocks that clamp the upper on both sides or top and bottom.  It is ill advised to use a block that only pins the upper to a vise, allowing the upper to be twisted.  Using a reaction rod or clamping the barrel is a little more idiot proof, but when used properly, blocks work well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i use the wheeler block, but the magpul bev seems to be a great option too as it holds the barrel extension
View Quote
+1

I use the wheeler as well.  It works, not the best, but has served me well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes,its a very good product......
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm going to give the Plastix one a whirl. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is perfectly fine to use a set of blocks that clamp the upper on both sides or top and bottom.  It is ill advised to use a block that only pins the upper to a vise, allowing the upper to be twisted.  Using a reaction rod or clamping the barrel is a little more idiot proof, but when used properly, blocks work well.
View Quote
incorrect. always clamp nearest where you are working.  You can twist a barrel in an upper damaging the upper esp if you do not know if the FH is fixed in position.
Some scrap pieces of maple make great  soft jaws for barrel work.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Not one to ever be the grammar or spelling police.  I make way to many mistakes.

Forgive me, guys.  But it is "vise" with an s.  "Vice" with a c is a word to describe sin or wrongdoing, or a law enforcement branch or department.  (Vice Squad, Miami Vice, etc.)

Found myself doing this.

On the topic:  I wrap the barrel with a strip of leather close to the muzzle and grip it hard, really hard in a bench vise.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
magpul bev block!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top