Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2017 1:05:37 PM EDT
This BCG.. ~700 rounds on it.

Wipes clean for sure, but when I went to takes it apart I noticed the finish was worn in open spot.

It looks more like flaking than worn...what say you all?

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#1]
That is NiB coating flaking off. Any coating is subject to this problem. This why I will only use BCGs that are Phosphate or Nitride. Phosphate is the original coating and it works just fine. Nitride is a surface hardening on the material and not a coating.

I have 2 or 3 of the Nitride BCGs from AIM. They have 3-4000 rounds on them and are just fine.

The rest of my BCGs are the mil-spec phosphate coating. Some of these are original to the guns from the 1970s. Still look good except for some wear of the finish at the contact points which they all get. Who cares?

I do have one NiB BCG that I bought during the panic because I needed a BCG and this was the only option. I used it for a couple thousand rounds with no issue of flaking. It now sits in my spare parts bin. It does look nice when all clean and new. After use it is stained and does not look as nice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
That area is a pretty common wear point. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure you're greasing/lubing it up well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the finish has failed.  There are only a couple applicators  doing NiB correctly,  sorry dont remember who.  This is why I stick to phosphate or Nitride from Toolcraft.  Palmetto premium bcgs are supposed to be Toolcraft.

I would send it back to Aim, Bryan will take care of you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I ONLY run mil-spec type BCG's, phosphate finish because I know from many years of experience they work, don't have to worry about flaking, discoloring etc.  OP FWIW if it is flaking I would say something isn't right but I have extremely limited experience to NIB BCGs.  If it were me I would have an issue with my BCG flaking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#5]
With 700 rounds put through it I wouldn't blame the coating. Personally I'd just keep shooting it and when it gets really bad I'd have a smith hard chrome the entire bolt and carrier.

Impala
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
That is exactly where my AIM NiB flaked. Similar round count too.

Stick to WMD and FailZero.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Nitride/Melonite is king for BCGs and barrels IMHO.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top