Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2017 8:01:31 PM EDT
I'm currently using an 1-1/4" square mil-spec patch and a Tipton .22 caliber jag.  I have to cut at least 1/8" off the jags to get them to go down the barrel, and even then, they just barely go down, with a lot of force.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That is correct. It's supposed to be right.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds about right, I use the same sized patches. I'll wet one down and run it through the barrel first, which is easier. After some passes with a brass bristle brush, I'll run a few more wet ones down. Then I'll switch to using the loop attachment to do most of the cleaning up. Either way, it takes a bit of force.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is correct. It's supposed to be right.
View Quote
It's like damn near impossible to shove it through by hand.

edit: maybe I need a mil spec jag to go along with the mil spec patches?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not sure if they have any such thing as a mil-spec jag.

However, recently I came across something called a Parker Hale jag. It's like a jag, but instead you wrap around it like the AK47 surplus cleaning kit jag. The Parker Hale jag is made by Dewey and much easier, in my opinion because it allows for some margin of error as you can simply wrap it around.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The issued kit comes with a slotted jag instead of the type you have.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Most patches will say to go down a size for a jag.  That patch will work well in a loop patch holder.  I started using .17 patches with a jag and they fit much better for .22/.223.

ETA: you can spear them off center (towards a corner) and they will fit better if you use the patches you have.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Getting a regular 5.56 patch down the barrel can be difficult, especially they are dirty and fouled. But of course when they are dirty, is when you use them.

Take a look at this item. These are very thin and go down the barrel on a jag very easily. If you need it tighter, just add a sheet or two. Less than $2.00 for 900 pieces.

link
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top