Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the Marines we cleaned our weapons constantly and for good reason as far as I'm concerned.  Fast forward almost years and I still clean all of my firearms to about the same standard.  Having said that all of my weapons go band and in the very rare occasion they don't it isn't because of lack of PMCS.  I hope this helps OP.
View Quote
I learned more about weapons than what the Corps taught me by always seeking knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's not enough to just change your oil, that leaves old oil in the crankcase.  If you really want your car to be clean and to run properly you have to disassemble the engine, clean every part of any oil, reassemble the engine and keep it dry as a bone until time to drive it again.
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You can clean them
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Wipe it down, boresnake it, get the chunks out, make sure the parts are still in one piece and no cracks. Call it good. If you're spending an hour cleaning an AR-15, you clearly have too much time on your hands and you've probably broken parts while cleaning in the past....
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
My rifle is "clean enough".
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish people would just shoot their rifle instead of spending time obsessing over crap that doesn't matter.

The OP would probably gag if he saw my rifle.  Stopped by the range at lunch to fire another 150rds.  I'll run another 150 on Thursday and probably 3-500 over the weekend.  I can't remember the last time that particular 6920 was cleaned.  In fact, I don't think I've every cleaned it.  I'll add a little Royal Purple to the BCG on Sunday...it'll be around the 1000rds since I added any lube.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a bore snake, used it on an old .22 to try it out.   Did the .223 next and it was fine.  After the 3rd gun, it stopped feeding because the brush snapped in half. I couldn't get the broken pieces to line up. Trash basket has never looked better.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
@edgephoto: Well said.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Hit about 2500-3k rounds through my one rifle this past weekend. I noticed it was very hard to keep hitting steel at 300, which I usually have no issue doing. If my hold wasn't perfect it was a miss. A couple weeks ago I also noted that my groups at 50 yards looked like typical 75 yard groups (1.5-2"), but figured I just wasn't shooting good that day.

I think copper fouling got the better of it. The most it's been rapid fired is probably 40 rounds (20, mag change, 20), and that's not frequent, so I assume the barrel cannot be shot out yet. It's also melonited and only had 1 round of bi-metal shot through it.

This made me think... I don't have any copper solvent. I'm hesitant to use household ammonia (which apparently works but can easily rust a barrel).

My old usgi "bore cleaner, rifle" (I have a couple gallons of it) doesn't seem to do anything for copper. I had plugged the barrel and filled it with the stuff, let it sit for 3 hours, and ran nearly 100 (back and forth, so 200 individual) strokes with a brand new brush. Not a single tinge of blue or green on any patches, but the copper color that I could see near the muzzle was gone.

What's currently considered the most potent copper remover?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
KG copper remover.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.

I assume you personally use it? Does it work differently on bare, melonite, chromed, cr-mo, and/or stainless barrels? The three rifles I currently own are bare, chromed and melonite.

The reviews on midway say it's some strong stuff. That's what I'm looking for, I'm a bit impatient when it comes to solvents.

Have you tried their lead remover formula?

Sorry if this is considered a thread jack, still seems pertinent to the OP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#12]
You ever see Frank Proctor's gun? It'll trigger your OCD if you're so inclined.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I find it fascinating how some people think that because some well known people don't maintain a rifle as a test/demonstration, that must mean we all should do the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I find it fascinating how some people think that because some well known people don't maintain a rifle as a test/demonstration, that must mean we all should do the same thing.
View Quote
Did it ever cross your mind that others simply have longer intervals between cleanings?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did it ever cross your mind that others simply have longer intervals between cleanings?
View Quote
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it?

Obsessive cleaning isn't necessary.  Maintaining your weapon is a necessity if you want it to continue to function.  

People who don't know anything about weapons read about various tests such as "filthy 14" and are convinced that is what they should be doing.  No reputable instructor would deploy to a combat zone with a weapon that is never cleaned.  

If all you do is shoot on a range and never go into harms way, don't clean it if you don't want to.  I don't care.  If you're deploying into harms way with me, you'd better maintain your weapon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it?

Obsessive cleaning isn't necessary.  Maintaining your weapon is a necessity if you want it to continue to function.  

People who don't know anything about weapons read about various tests such as "filthy 14" and are convinced that is what they should be doing.  No reputable instructor would deploy to a combat zone with a weapon that is never cleaned.  

If all you do is shoot on a range and never go into harms way, don't clean it if you don't want to.  I don't care.  If you're deploying into harms way with me, you'd better maintain your weapon.
View Quote
No, you do not understand what I said, so let's try another way.  How do YOU define weapons maintenance?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, you do not understand what I said, so let's try another way.  How do YOU define weapons maintenance?
View Quote
Pretty simple.  If it's dirty, clean it.  If you want it to be white glove clean...knock yourself out.  White glove clean isn't necessary but I don't care what you do with your time.  If your weapon looks like the last picture posted, then it's well past time to clean.  If you're testing it to see how long it can go before cleaning in a range environment, then shoot it till failure and you'll know how many rounds you can shoot it till it starts to malfunction.  If you actually depend on your weapon in an environment that has something more dangerous than charging paper targets, better clean it.  Figuring out how many rounds your rifle can shoot before malfunctioning due to dirt and gunk in a life and death gunfight is not bright...but there are some people out there who think that's a good idea.  

A side benefit of cleaning your weapon is you can't inspect it for cracks and damage with a thick film of carbon/oil.  Then again, if all you do is spend time on a range, you probably don't care about inspecting your weapon's functioning parts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#20]
That's why I keep mine NIB.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah you can spray it with brake cleaner to get it nice and clean, won't work, but lube just gets guns dirty.
View Quote
Not sure what you were trying to say here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not sure what you were trying to say here.
View Quote
I'm a little confused too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#24]
lol, borescope master race laughs
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's why I keep mine NIB.
View Quote
Lotta people do.  I don't understand it but that's me.  I have a friend who has more guns than me but most of his guns are unfired.  I don't know why anyone would buy a gun they won't fire but that's just me.  If you just like to own it and don't like to shoot it....go for it.  It's your money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Exactly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not enough to just change your oil, that leaves old oil in the crankcase.  If you really want your car to be clean and to run properly you have to disassemble the engine, clean every part of any oil, reassemble the engine and keep it dry as a bone until time to drive it again.
Exactly.
heh, do you guys work for Hyundai or something?  because that's not how that works with precision rifles
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wish people would just shoot their rifle instead of spending time obsessing over crap that doesn't matter.

The OP would probably gag if he saw my rifle.  Stopped by the range at lunch to fire another 150rds.  I'll run another 150 on Thursday and probably 3-500 over the weekend.  I can't remember the last time that particular 6920 was cleaned.  In fact, I don't think I've every cleaned it.  I'll add a little Royal Purple to the BCG on Sunday...it'll be around the 1000rds since I added any lube.
View Quote
so hardcore
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can get a firearm nice and clean, it won't work, but it'll be clean
View Quote
All my clean firearms work.  What are you doing to a weapon in cleaning it that it stops working?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Pretty simple.  If it's dirty, clean it.  If you want it to be white glove clean...knock yourself out.  White glove clean isn't necessary but I don't care what you do with your time.  If your weapon looks like the last picture posted, then it's well past time to clean.  If you're testing it to see how long it can go before cleaning in a range environment, then shoot it till failure and you'll know how many rounds you can shoot it till it starts to malfunction.  If you actually depend on your weapon in an environment that has something more dangerous than charging paper targets, better clean it.  Figuring out how many rounds your rifle can shoot before malfunctioning due to dirt and gunk in a life and death gunfight is not bright...but there are some people out there who think that's a good idea.
View Quote
Pretty much my perspective too. I clean mine, always have, always will. Not as clean as I use to, but I get the carbon off.  When I shoot it it gets dirty but works and gives me piece of mind that it has a long way to go before stoppage due to being dirty should be a possibility. I don't spend a lot of time doing it but it is quality time.
I suppose there are people that just add more oil to their car rather than changing it too. Each his own...
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah you can spray it with brake cleaner to get it nice and clean, won't work, but lube just gets guns dirty.
View Quote
Are you suggesting going lube free?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You car drives fine if it is dirty too. That doesn't prevent me from washing and vacuuming it.

If someone runs their gun dirty or likes it spotless that is a choice. I don't care either way. For me clean is the way to go.
Then change your oil after every time you drive it.
Bad analogy. Your car engine doesnt exhaust back into the crankcase like your gun does
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#33]
lube thread.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bad analogy. Your car engine doesnt exhaust back into the crankcase like your gun does
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You car drives fine if it is dirty too. That doesn't prevent me from washing and vacuuming it.

If someone runs their gun dirty or likes it spotless that is a choice. I don't care either way. For me clean is the way to go.
Damn, do you just post in gun-cleaning threads once every year!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A side benefit of cleaning your weapon is you can't inspect it for cracks and damage with a thick film of carbon/oil.  Then again, if all you do is spend time on a range, you probably don't care about inspecting your weapon's functioning parts.
View Quote
I've done both, carried a weapon for a living in the Corps and shoot for fun now.  I'm not the type of the person having once served, that I feel like I need to shit all over other people whom are pushing the envelope to learn realistic limits on their weapons.  It's very nice that you don't spend all of your time on the range, got it but that doesn't negate the fact that this is a firearms discussion forum where we discuss things and people innovate, push the limits, and think for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

heh, do you guys work for Hyundai or something?  because that's not how that works with precision rifles
View Quote
Have fun at SnipersHide.com, then because most there only clean when accuracy drops off.  I also base my precision rifle cleaning regimen off of what Caylen Wojick and my brother (they were in 3/1 STA together) practice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I cleaned seven guns on Sunday................because it was raining.  It is a good pass time while watching baseball.

I am less inclined to take a clean gun out to the range.  I get them fairly clean, but not USMC white glove fuck you armorer clean.  

I still have a handful that are dirty bitches.  I actually have clean one in my gunbag for the range later today.  It will probably stay dirty for a while. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Have fun at SnipersHide.com, then because most there only clean when accuracy drops off.  I also base my precision rifle cleaning regimen off of what Caylen Wojick and my brother (they were in 3/1 STA together) practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it wasn't meant to be insulting, my apologies if it was delivered poorly

I should probably use emoticons more, comments made in jest don't translate very well when written.  I just don't like emoticons

eta: I don't have a membership at snipers hide, I do hang out at Accurate Shooter though
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wouldn't that be more along the lines of removing copper fouling? I'd assume they still wipe off the action and a quick swab down the bore (maybe no brush, just a mop or patch with oil).
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I cleaned seven guns on Sunday................because it was raining.  It is a good pass time while watching baseball. 
View Quote
sounds like a damn good day!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wouldn't that be more along the lines of removing copper fouling? I'd assume they still wipe off the action and a quick swab down the bore (maybe no brush, just a mop or patch with oil).
View Quote
Yes, I was responding to someone mentioning precision rifles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

it wasn't meant to be insulting, my apologies if it was delivered poorly

I should probably use emoticons more, comments made in jest don't translate very well when written.  I just don't like emoticons

eta: I don't have a membership at snipers hide, I do hang out at Accurate Shooter though
View Quote
Copy, no worries.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've done both, carried a weapon for a living in the Corps and shoot for fun now.  I'm not the type of the person having once served, that I feel like I need to shit all over other people whom are pushing the envelope to learn realistic limits on their weapons.  It's very nice that you don't spend all of your time on the range, got it but that doesn't negate the fact that this is a firearms discussion forum where we discuss things and people innovate, push the limits, and think for themselves.
View Quote
No clue what point you are trying to make. Can we get a translation please?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No clue what point you are trying to make. Can we get a translation please?
View Quote
Running around complaining about other people's rifle's cleanliness and thumping your chest about "square range" doesn't really impress anyone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Running around complaining about other people's rifle's cleanliness and thumping your chest about "square range" doesn't really impress anyone.
View Quote
Who did that?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Damn, do you just post in gun-cleaning threads once every year!  
View Quote
LOL....now you've made me post twice
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And here's how to prove it to yourself; get an LED flashlight of at least 200 Lumens........
View Quote

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.
View Quote
OP had his head up the bull's ass looking for his rifle, while those of us with our "dirty" rifles went to go drink beer.

I'm impressed this thread is still going. Ya'll need to give it a break.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Something about the LED light that really works on guns.
View Quote

I didn't know that about LED flashlights.  I had never noticed any difference, but then my eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm not a stickler for having a pristine gun; just one that is clean and lubricated enough to not have malfunctions, so I might not have noticed what others see.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top