Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 6:32:44 PM EDT
I plan on storing my gums for 6-12 months. After hearing great things about Break Free CLP Collector I was thinking of using it.

1. After I wipe my guns down with it can I store them back in the plastic slash foam cases they came in?

2. When I'm ready to shoot do I have to clean the Break Free off or do I have to clean and lube my firearm first?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used Collector for 5 or 6 years now for my mil-surp guns that get little use.

It is not like cosmoline. Think of it as a thicker gun oil. I do not clean it off. I just go shoot.

Do not store guns in foam or cloth cases. The material absorbs moisture and will cause rust. I like the Borestore bags for protecting stuff from bumps and bruises. The fabric is treated so it prevents rust and they are reasonably cheap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^
Don't store in anything that can capture moisture even if you put a Desiccant pack in with it.

Collector is a good product for medium length storage. 6 months, maybe a year depending on where you live. I keep a coat on my safe queens and refresh them every 4-6 months or when I have them out and handle them for some reason. Prepping a gun to shoot is no different than if it had a light coat of any oil on it. I just wipe it down, and run a patch or bore snake through the barrel and shoot away. I don't know what's different between collector and other gun oils, but I've not had a rust issue in the 6 or 7 years I've been using it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I like RIG. Best stuff I ever used. It's specifically formulated for long term storage and people been using it for nearly half a century. It's like one step down from Cosmoline and the beauty of it is that all you need to do is wipe it down and it's ready for use.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top