Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 5:37:19 PM EDT
I bought a number of jags similar to these.

I think the parker hale type would be better for wrapping the patch (since the teeth hold in in place?)

And I found that I usually have to go down a size using a patch with the jag, rather than a loop as .22 cal patches get stuck in a .22/.223 (.17 cal work better).  Stabbing it closer to a corner instead of the center often will work also.

SO the question is:  Why can't I find patches made for these jags??  The ribbed brass part is MUCH longer than a patch, and all the patches are square.  Why are the jags so long?  A square patch as long as the jag winds up being waaaaay to thick if I can manage to get it to wrap around (ie. using a pistol patch).

I'd rather not have to cut my own patches.  I could deal with cutting a pistol (.40/.45 cal) patch in half if that would work.  I find it strange that patches aren't made to fit these jags (and/or the jags are made way to long).
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I had pretty much the same issue with my .308 a while back. As you mention, putting the tip off-center does help a bit. Still, I ended up cutting them all the time after almost getting one stuck in the bore.

Came across  these a while back. The theory behind them is that the shape is less prone to bunching up, but also offers more surface area. To me it seemed to make sense so I gave them a shot. In addition to .308 I also bought some .223 of the same brand; as my normal .223 patches were on the opposite end of the spectrum in always feeling too small.  

I've only had one cleaning session with them, but they're excellent. Nice snug fit that doesn't bind up or feel like it's about to get stuck. Definitely worked as advertised, and they're probably all I'll use from here on out.

One thing I noticed is that the price right now is about DOUBLE what I paid a few months ago!?!? I know Amazon flexes their prices, but this is a pretty extreme jump. Then again, it's possible that I just got lucky and caught them at an extreme discount. Just to be certain I checked the order history and confirmed that the 200 Pack (.223) and 120 pack (.308) were only $4 each at the time I found them. I do remember at least one was an "add-on" item; which you can only purchase if all the other items in your order come out to more than $25. So, maybe that's why the price was lower. Might be worth putting $25 in your cart and then trying to search for the Boresmith patches. If not, and you can wait a little, maybe just keep an eye on the price to see if it will go back down.

Even at the higher price I would probably buy them. They just fit so well and really seem to clean the bore better than their square and circular brethren.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
someone on some forum suggested these cotton nail wipes:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j0fehrlm0g00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F252239398648

they work well with .223  ans .22 (one patch) and 30 cal.(2 patches in an "X" pattern)

it takes a while to get here from China ( a couple weeks) but they are pretty cheap.

hope that helps,  

bob  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  Those nail pads sure are cheap at $1.63/900  Is the main benefit that they are more rectangular (so it would fit down more or the length of the patch)?

The star shaped ones look very promising.  It is pretty expensive, but might try those...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]
BoreSmith Website has links to Amazon sales that are cheaper:

$12.79 for 520 patches with 2 jag brushes

Can get 1000 .22 patches for $13.50.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BoreSmith Website has links to Amazon sales that are cheaper:

$12.79 for 520 patches with 2 jag brushes

Can get 1000 .22 patches for $13.50.
View Quote
The 1000 for $13.50 is actually a better deal per patch than I got at $4 for 200. So, looks like the bulk quantity is the way to go. They really are an excellent design, and I think you'd be pleased with them. Definitely keep us posted if you end up trying them out.

Those eBay ones the other member mentioned seem like a decent option. Kind of similar in theory to the triangle version. That is crazy how cheap they are. How one earth do they turn a profit selling those for under $2, with free shipping...from CHINA?!?!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]
1000 patches for $6.99

Click on .22C to get the Amazon price
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1000 patches for $6.99

Click on .22C to get the Amazon price
View Quote
Those are just the square patches.  have a ton of those

Also, meant to edit my reply above, but the website for the star shaped patches also has a buy direct from them area that is cheaper than the Amazon sites.

ETA: here's a similar concept to the BoreSmith patches Paul Clean rollpatch  Seems like same concept where the 4 "ears" would fold down along the jag.  They say "one size fits all" bores, not sure if that is only when using their jags or if would work well with all jags.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Those are just the square patches.  have a ton of those

Also, meant to edit my reply above, but the website for the star shaped patches also has a buy direct from them area that is cheaper than the Amazon sites.

ETA: here's a similar concept to the BoreSmith patches Paul Clean rollpatch  Seems like same concept where the 4 "ears" would fold down along the jag.  They say "one size fits all" bores, not sure if that is only when using their jags or if would work well with all jags.
View Quote
Those Paul Clean ones were actually the first thing I came across when searching for non-traditional patches. Pricey, but looked very cool. Unfortunately they were out of stock, and still look to be OOS on Amazon.

I did wonder about the "one size fits all" as well. I'm sure it can be done, but did consider that they might only work with specific jags. Ultimately, the BoreSmith ones turned out to be a great buy and I plan to stick with them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
For .22 cal patches (jag use) I use double nap 100% white cotton flannel, from a sewing shop and use cut size 1x1. You can purchase the same material for more from manuf like Pro-shot. Center Stab.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top