Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 1:54:46 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

So I just received the last of the pieces for my first ar 15 build in the mail and before I get underway with assembling the rifle I want to get all the parts nice and clean so I can start with some fresh parts with fresh oil where need be.  I have decided to use break cleaner to clean off some of the gunky factory oils and greases from these parts.

So my question is for those with experience using break cleaner to get rid of that oil.  Now, after spraying down the parts and letting the oils and debris run off, should I rinse the parts in a hot water bath or something like that?  I've read that break cleaner evaporates like 99.9%, but I am not positive on that.  Am I all good to just let the cleaner evaporate and the apply my oil or should I give the parts a warm bath as stated before?

Also, I've been told to go with the non-chlorine break cleaner. Does that sound right?  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
It'll evaporate. Just spray down, let dry, apply oil and assemble.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Isn't that basically what I posted?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It'll evaporate. Just spray down, let dry, apply oil and assemble.

Isn't that basically what I posted?

You realize others are allowed to post their opinions, even if they agree with and confirm your own?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.
View Quote

You're welcome, OP.

And welcome to the board.

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I absolutely do realize that.

But this was a new thread and I responded first. It wasn't 20 pages long and I'm sure the other poster saw my response before he responded with almost the exact thing that I said.

Not a big deal. However, I have been chastised here in the past for saying the same thing that someone else posted in such a short thread. That's why I said something.

My mentioning it was more of an observation than anything else.

I meant no disrespect meant to anyone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize others are allowed to post their opinions, even if they agree with and confirm your own?  

I absolutely do realize that.

But this was a new thread and I responded first. It wasn't 20 pages long and I'm sure the other poster saw my response before he responded with almost the exact thing that I said.

Not a big deal. However, I have been chastised here in the past for saying the same thing that someone else posted in such a short thread. That's why I said something.

My mentioning it was more of an observation than anything else.

I meant no disrespect meant to anyone.

One person says something then it's just one person's belief. Is that one person right or wrong? When multiple people say the same or similar things it's a trend and more likely to be correct.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow.

I didn't think that my response to the dupe guy would have caused so much aggravation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
So, chlorides and halides can attack stainless and aluminum.  But with the coating, it basically doesn't matter.

I personally think that brake cleaner and parts washers are a waste of time.  Just use conventional solvent, wipe it thoroughly, and apply a light weight oil when you're done.  In all honesty, Hoppes solvent and any lightweight oil should do everything you need.  Sometimes not as fast as you want, but it does work well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Used brake cleaner for 15 yr+. I have never had any problems, if you feel that you must do something after using the brake cleaner, blow the parts off with compressed air. Brake cleaner evaporates very fast. Just relube well when you are done. You can't go wrong at $3.69 a can for generic stuff, beats $11.69 for gun scubber. IMHO
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Brake cleaner is made to dry without leaving any residue. If it left anything behind it could be dangerous since any residue could inhibit the braking action of a car's brakes. Rinsing in hot water is likely to leave more "stuff" behind than the brake cleaner, especially if you're using tap water or anything besides distilled.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#13]
A bottle of isopropyl alcohol works very well at degreasing parts.
V brake cleaner it does evaporate but not as fast which allows you to work the part with a brush
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're worried about it you can do like I did. I sprayed my rifle down with brake cleaner, scrubbed the crap out of it, then soaked it with hoppes, scrubbed the crap out of it gain then wiped it down with the same oily rag that I've been oiling my guns with for as long as I've had guns. Put lube where it needed to be and I've had no issues what so ever.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I am as cheap as the next guy.

If you compare the ingredients in brake cleaner, chlorinated and non-chlorinated to the ingredients in Gun Scrubber they are not the same. Gun Scrubber works well and has not damaged any of the plastic or finishes of any of my guns, not just ARs.

Gun scrubber is $10 a can give or take. Brake cleaner can be had for about $2.50 a can. While the percentage savings is terrific using brake cleaner the actual money saved is not much. I use one, maybe 2 cans per year of Gun Scrubber.

I have been in the car service business for 32 years. Brake cleaner on plastic does not always end well. Sometimes it melts the plastic and other times it changes the color. Gun Scrubber does neither of these things.

I would rather use Gun Scrubber than risk damage with brake cleaner.

Also my work bench is is my basement. When I have used brake cleaner in the basement the smell permeates my whole house. Gun Scrubber does not do this. Mrs. Edgephoto has come and said something about the smell but never has when I am cleaning guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you compare the ingredients in brake cleaner, chlorinated and non-chlorinated to the ingredients in Gun Scrubber they are not the same. Gun Scrubber works well and has not damaged any of the plastic or finishes of any of my guns, not just ARs.

Gun scrubber is $10 a can give or take. Brake cleaner can be had for about $2.50 a can. While the percentage savings is terrific using brake cleaner the actual money saved is not much. I use one, maybe 2 cans per year of Gun Scrubber.

I have been in the car service business for 32 years. Brake cleaner on plastic does not always end well. Sometimes it melts the plastic and other times it changes the color. Gun Scrubber does neither of these things.

Also my work bench is is my basement. When I have used brake cleaner in the basement the smell permeates my whole house. Gun Scrubber does not do this. Mrs. Edgephoto has come and said something about the smell but never has when I am cleaning guns.
View Quote
I go through a lot of CRC Brakleen (probably around 50 cans a year) in the clean green can, so the price is an important factor for me.

It does smell like Acetone, so I only use it outside and I keep it away from any of the polymer parts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I go through a lot of CRC Brakleen (probably around 50 cans a year) in the clean green can, so the price is an important factor for me.

It does smell like Acetone, so I only use it outside and I keep it away from any of the polymer parts.
View Quote
1 gallon of 70% isopropyl alcohol is 12.00 on amazon
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been using non chlorinated brake cleaner on my guns for about 12 years.  No problems. I go through about 4-6 cans a year.  I spray the the guns off outside.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1 gallon of 70% isopropyl alcohol is 12.00 on amazon
View Quote
I really need the gunk blasting action of the aerosol cans.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Since he's talking about oiling them, I doubt he means plastic parts. So what's the problem using it on metal to degrease?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Careful with the brake cleaner. Its a known carcinogen.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been using non chlorinated brake cleaner on my guns for about 12 years.  No problems. I go through about 4-6 cans a year.  I spray the the guns off outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, except I may use 1-3 cans a year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Careful with the brake cleaner. Its a known carcinogen.
View Quote
So use it outside.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Electric parts cleaner works good too. I don't think it will mess up any of your plastic parts, but I wouldn't take a chance. I'd remove any plastic just in case. If your cleaning a gun with a wood stock that's finished with some sort of wood finish, you definitely don't want to get it on that!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top