Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 11:35:52 PM EDT
I know it's a thing, but I think like most people, I'm trapped in my routine. Ballistol isn't part of it, but I know some of you guys like it.

My sister bought me a bottle for my birthday.

I've used the wipes on some of my lessor shoot guns, because I saw it listed both wood and metal.

Preservative wipes for exterior?

Action?

Bore?

Never used it before, except for the aforementioned.

Tell me how you use it, and how you like it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Action and bore.  Also as a Cologne.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd take #9 as a cologne any day, but not Ballistol.

You like it better than mpro7/#9?

I normally use a little of both.

I like the copper cleaning properties of mpro, but I just can't give up Hoppes #9 because it reminds me of my dad teaching me to shoot. (And it still works.)
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:25:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I use it for squeaky hinges around the house, my bicycle brakes and chains, and a few other things. I don't use it on my guns though. I wasn't impressed with it. Reminds me of RemOil but shells l smells worse.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm unsure what the question is?

Ballistol is like any other CLP out there. It doesn't require any special step or anything.

Every company likes to promote how they got contracted by a large government. It's a great selling point. For Ballistol, if I remember right, they were contracted by the German government to create a all purpose oil, cleaner, and preservative (CLP basically) and at the same time, breathe life into leather that they were using at the time. Ballistol has since marketed this point up the wazoo and say that their stuff is so great you can use it for anything including as a substitute toilet paper wipe. It's unclear if Ballistol is an active contractor with the government anymore. It's like Breakfree here in the USA, they still promote their product as a government issued CLP, but reality is they have been out of it long ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Leather slings and wood stocks for me. Better bore stuff out there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.

I wasn't sure if it was better in bores, or if I just glossed over it.

I've been happy with my bore products so far,  just checking to see if I skipped over Ballistol when I shouldn't have.

The free wipes I've gotten over the years were nice for my stocks and metal exterior.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Ballistol is good for neutralizing corrosive ammo salts.

After coming home from shooting old surplus ammo I pour boiling water down the muzzle and let it drain. The hot water heats the metal and it dries pretty quickly. Then I follow with a liberal application of Ballistol.

I will then let the gun sit until I have time for a cleaning. Sometime that is the same day but more often than not it is a week or two before I have time.

EDIT: I bought a can of the stuff to try. My plan was to use it for cleaning and lubing my mil-surps. However I am not impressed by the lubricating or cleaning quality so when I run out i will not be buying more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
It's nothing fancy. Mineral oil and some additives. 

basically scented WD-40/ starretts/ every other mineral based oil. 

Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oilfrom vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX. 

http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

After coming home from shooting old surplus ammo I pour boiling water down the muzzle and let it drain. The hot water heats the metal and it dries pretty quickly. Then I follow with a liberal application of Ballistol.
snip
View Quote
The boiling water does that, not the oil.  Also it doesn't neutralize them it just washes them out. Like the oil would if you did it first and used enough. 
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mineral oil (main ingredient) dry rots leather and not great for wood either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I know that the boiling water flushes out the salts and because it is out it drys out pretty fast.

Ballistol does neutralize the corrosive salts. Since I bought some I hit the gun with that just in case the water missed anything. Once I run out I will not buy more Ballistol. I will just skip the "coat everything with Ballistol" cleaning step.

I originally bought it thinking it was a good CLP but in my opinion it not a good Cleaner, Lube or Protectant.

I have read things here and on other forums and have tried stuff. However I keep going back to what my Father used and taught me. Hoppes #9 and gun oil.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will then let the gun sit until I have time for a cleaning. Sometime that is the same day but more often than not it is a week or two before I have time.

EDIT: I bought a can of the stuff to try. My plan was to use it for cleaning and lubing my mil-surps. However I am not impressed by the lubricating or cleaning quality so when I run out i will not be buying more.
View Quote

I like that regimen for when I take out my Mosin. Doesn't happen often,  but still a good call. I normally flush with hot water, then clean. I'll add Ballistol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you think it's good for nothing, bluntly speaking,  right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a cab to try it out in place of the usual CLP. Not a fan of the smell. Which is how I determine if I like stuff in general.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought a cab to try it out in place of the usual CLP. Not a fan of the smell. Which is how I determine if I like stuff in general.
View Quote

Me either, but nothing compares to Hoppes #9 in that regard...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I use it as a CLP.   Works decent enough.  Guns are cleaned and stored with it until next range time.  My handguns I just shoot and re-clean.  My AR I'll give a few squirts at lube points before range time, and I don't obsess on cleaning the AR, no issues so far.    I use a better bore cleaning solution about once a year.   I don't shoot as often as I would like, so this may not be ideal for those who are able to toss more lead down range than I.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I pointed out it has two downsides based on the main ingredient.
It's made out of Mineral OilPotassium Oleate
Ammonium Oleate
Oleic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Amyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Alcohol
Benzyl Acetate
Anethole

It's like diet WD-40.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been using Ballistol for awhile,everything from lube to cleaning  rifle and pistol bores never had a problem and besides if its good enough for Hickok45 its good enough for me
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top