Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2017 12:53:36 PM EDT
I'm building a dedicated 22 upper I expect to see high round counts. Currently I use Gunslick Pro foaming bore cleaner in my 5.56 and 300Blk. Then after bronze brushing out the foam I dry patch it. Then patch it again with Eds Red and dry patch again.
    My question...is the Gunslick foaming cleaner also effective for lead fouling? Or what is a really good lead fouling cleaner?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Kroil, let it sit in the barrel 5 to 10 min. It takes the lead out in sheets. I have used it for years. High power shooters also use it, google it up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kroil, let it sit in the barrel 5 to 10 min. It takes the lead out in sheets. I have used it for years. High power shooters also use it, google it up.
View Quote

Thanks Pat, I ran into that suggestion doing a google search. I will keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks Pat, I ran into that suggestion doing a google search. I will keep it in mind.
View Quote

It's the best thing to use. It really is amazing to see how it removes lead fouling.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just run a Kroil soaked patch through the bore? Or do I have to fill up the bore?

Thanks,
Rick R
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just run a Kroil soaked patch through the bore? Or do I have to fill up the bore?

Thanks,
Rick R
View Quote

From what I can tell others are doing to get the lead out is plugging the bore and filling it up and letting sit for a day or two.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Not that long at all.

First try just running Kroil soaked patches through. Do it several times over a couple of hours. Then dry patches. A brush if you want. You'll be amazed at the lead that comes out.

If the fouling is bad then plug the bore and fill up with Kroil and let it sit for a day.

Kroil is amazing stuff.

The Oil That Creeps isn't just a slogan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is how i have been doing it for 15 years now. Put a dripping wet patch with Kroil down the barrel, let it set horizontal on the work bench 5 to 10 minutes. Put a patch on a jag and run it thru the barrel, you will get sheets of lead coming out. repeat as many times as you need to do it. If it is real bad put J.B. bore paste on a Kroil soaked patch, push it thru. Then i put a dry patch on a bore brush, an push that thru the barrel to get rid of the J.B. bore paste. Do that until clean patch comes out (4 to 8 times). Then i spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner down the barrel and dry patch it. Generic brake cleaner $3.69, GunScrubber $12.00, your choice, your money. The brake cleaner removes all lube, you MUST relupe. If you need to soak a barrel for 24 hrs with Kroil with plugs in the barrel, you really neglected you firearm and maybe should take up golf instead. JMHO
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm building a dedicated 22 upper I expect to see high round counts. Currently I use Gunslick Pro foaming bore cleaner in my 5.56 and 300Blk. Then after bronze brushing out the foam I dry patch it. Then patch it again with Eds Red and dry patch again.
    My question...is the Gunslick foaming cleaner also effective for lead fouling? Or what is a really good lead fouling cleaner?
View Quote

Scrubbing the bore of a .22LR is counterproductive. Don't clean the bore until accuracy begins to suffer. Benchrest shooters run many thousands of rounds before scrubbing the bore......and then run hundreds of rounds through that gun before using it again in competition.

Visit Rimfire Central.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Scrubbing the bore of a .22LR is counterproductive. Don't clean the bore until accuracy begins to suffer. Benchrest shooters run many thousands of rounds before scrubbing the bore......and then run hundreds of rounds through that gun before using it again in competition.

Visit Rimfire Central.
View Quote

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but following the path of "pros" without actually being one is just an excuse not to take care of your stuff. I think you should take care of your stuff as you please, and nevermind what pros do. They also get sponsors and tons of money invested in their hobby. So that 1000s of round count barrel is probably their 20th barrel they're breaking in. For normal folks, we get a single fire arm and that single fire arm is all we're going to use for the remainder of our lives.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't know how folks are getting "sheets of lead" from a rimfire barrel?
All rimfire ammo I know of has a wax or oil lube , speed is fairly slow and with so little powder you are not getting much in the way of temperature

I go with the less is more method , never had much in the way of build up .

My feeling is hit the barrel a couple of passes with a dry brass brush , then a couple of solvent patches and take a peek. If it looks ok send down a oil patch to head off rust .

The high end competition barrel like a Anschutz really shouldn't be cleaned much . It has been highly polished
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know what it is about 22 LR, but lead round nose bullets do lead barrels.  On the preventative side, shoot plated ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know what it is about 22 LR, but lead round nose bullets do lead barrels.  On the preventative side, shoot plated ammo.
View Quote
I have the conversion kit and yes, I shoot Federal Automatch and they're lead. Usually after a shooting session, I shoot a few .223 rounds through the barrel. It should, in theory, blast out all the lead build up.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top