Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2017 3:06:34 PM EDT
I'm replacing my stock handguards with a DD Omega X FSP, and fig'd that I'd completely disassemble the upper and give it a good scrub. I've got 10k+ rounds through it and have performed routine maintenance, but thought it would be fun to take it all apart since I almost have to for the rail install.

The joint where the barrel fits into the upper calls for a durable high temp grease, and I was hoping for some suggestions, preferably something I can get at Home Depot since I need to get a breaker bar from there today anyway. I'll probably end up using the same grease under the FSP, since apparently LMT didn't feel like phosphating those two little circles.

What can y'all recommend? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Would something like this Lucas white lithium grease do the trick? Any chance that would eat away at the finish inside the upper or on the barrel?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lucas-Oil-8-oz-White-Lithium-Grease-10533/202535870
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Nickel Never Seize     don't overdue it, don't get any on you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nickel Never Seize     don't overdue it, don't get any on you.
View Quote

Cool, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't MIL SPEC call for Aeroshell 33? That is just a general purpose airframe grease. Amsoil Lithium should be easily available. I don't think that nickel anti seize not is appropriate. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of anti-seize compounds contain graphite.
Aeroshell 33MS meets the mil-spec.
I think it has been replaced with a different part number to prevent confusion between 33 and 33MS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't MIL SPEC call for Aeroshell 33? That is just a general purpose airframe grease. Amsoil Lithium should be easily available. I don't think that nickel anti seize not is appropriate. 
View Quote

It's Aeroshell 33MS (now called Aeroshell 64), which is a lithium complex grease with synthetic base oil and molybdenum. 

Honestly, any good Li-Complex grease will do fine, even the generic red/tacky automotive stuff.  You just need something to allow the threads to slide together a bit so you can make the torque properly and help protect the threads from corrosion.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top