Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2016 11:13:17 PM EDT
Around what temp do you think Ballistol will freeze? I'm just curious and haven't found anything on the web about it. I was thinking about it a little bit and know that the Germans used it up until 1945 but I also know they also had to run their guns dry or mix motor oil with gasoline to lube their rifles so that makes me think that it probably isn't very good for cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
it should be fine within reasonable conditions. If you're expecting -40 F, you might want something else.
Ballistol has alcohols in it, and the mineral oil base should be good to ~ -30F, IIRC.
The oleic acid component is mainly for when you use ballistol as a bore cleaner mixed with water.

My only suggestion is "thin films". Too much of any oil is never good in cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it is a pretty thin oil to begin with. Spray it on and the excess pretty quickly moves off. Only reason I ask is I live in Northern WI and it gets pretty darn cold sometimes. Not Alaska cold, but cold. I generally have tried to use oils with low temperature ranges but I see nothing on Ballistol.

G96 Gun Treatment of all things is pretty unanimously recommended up here. It seems good, but I'm not sure about the toxicity.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I used to use it where I was raised in Michigan, just a bit south of the Straits of Mackinaw.
Got plenty cold there.

Had CLP "freeze" in Flagstaff near Mt Humphries, because I simply used too much. Wiping the excess off returned the piece to operation.
The bore in the bolt carrying the firing pin was the trouble-spot in that case.

My only worry would be if the piece lubed with Ballistol were taken from a cold to warm environment (not a good idea regardless of lube), then back to cold with condensation on the piece.
The oleic acid might solubulize then that resultant solution could freeze.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Tempted to put my Ballistol can in the freezer to find out.

....but I already know MOBIL 1 works very well in cold WX

-40 Mobil 1 Amsoil Royal Purple comparison
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Haha I'd be interested in seeing that. Maybe not the whole can in case it separates but a little bit?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I know if it sits for a while it will gel up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny you mention that. Just pulled my handgun out today and there was a bunch of "Gel" all over it from Ballistol. Probably doesn't hurt the lubrication properties, but it's a little weird. Chemicals could be interacting with the old CLP that's on the gun. I noticed it on a K98k that I put away for a few months too lord knows what was on that for lube before I cleaned it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd bet the gelling is a reaction to humidity via the oleic acid component.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top