User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, close to 50 replies... that's awesome. Thank you all for the responses so far! The only question I have is whether or not it is supposed to dry out? I've lubed some of my guns with it pretty generously and sometimes I come back and it looks pretty dry. It's not a big deal to throw some more on but I have no idea if it's supposed to do that or not.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CLP works great.  It's my primary cleaner/lube.   Does other stuff work?  Probably.  But I know CLP works and it's not overly expensive.
View Quote

Hey I know this guy. I'm a huge fan man. Any plans on doing a full review on that S&W Sport II?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been using BF CLP.  It has served me well thus far.  I have not had any issues with jamming as mentioned by the OP.  The reason i use it is because it can be used for everything.  I might have to try EWL if i can find it locally.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow, close to 50 replies... that's awesome. Thank you all for the responses so far! The only question I have is whether or not it is supposed to dry out? I've lubed some of my guns with it pretty generously and sometimes I come back and it looks pretty dry. It's not a big deal to throw some more on but I have no idea if it's supposed to do that or not.
View Quote

I can put LSA on a AR15 bcg and put it in the safe, when I take it out a week later, it's still there. LSA doesn't run with gravity. The 20w50 synthetic is similar,  it stays where you put it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I use it, great stuff.  I try to keep my guns clean and lube 'em again with Breakfree right before the range session.

Carbon doesn't stick to oil so it makes it easy to clean the gun when done

The circle of life then continues
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean to tell me they make something other than CLP??
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hey I know this guy. I'm a huge fan man. Any plans on doing a full review on that S&W Sport II?
View Quote

Yup.  Testing ongoing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool. Fingers crossed for a good one. I think I'll just stick with CLP, seems like most folks here have good things to say about it so far. Also took your idea of using a smaller dropper bottle for lube. Game changer haha.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone using or used that Amsoil gun cleaner and lube? Bought a can of each at the last gun show
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Ehh, I used to run CLP exclusively. It's great stuff if you remember to relube everything before taking it to the range, but if you have a bunch of guns sitting in the safe for a long period of time, I find that the CLP dries off too quickly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
A new CLP is on the market. Strike Industries AntiVenom XPLC
Strike XPLC

I have 2 cans of Strike's AntiVenom arriving tomorrow. Going to give the stuff a try.
Video of their introduction of the product. Never mastered the art of embedding YouTube videos, and with the new sight it's a PITA.

Video

Been using BF CLP for ever, old formula.
On the bolt carries rails, cam pin and bolt, been using Gun Butter grease. I like it and it seem to me extra slippery.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A new CLP is on the market. Strike Industries AntiVenom XPLC
Strike XPLC

I have 2 cans of Strike's AntiVenom arriving tomorrow. Going to give the stuff a try.
Video of their introduction of the product. Never mastered the art of embedding YouTube videos, and with the new sight it's a PITA.

Video

Been using BF CLP for ever, old formula.
On the bolt carries rails, cam pin and bolt, been using Gun Butter grease. I like it and it seem to me extra slippery.
View Quote

lol, $20 for a 4-ounce spray?

breakfree is 1/3 that price, and even cheaper per ounce if you buy a bigger bottle in liquid form.

Or you could just get synthetic motor oil for 5-7 bucks a quart and have lube for YEARS.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

lol, $20 for a 4-ounce spray?

breakfree is 1/3 that price, and even cheaper per ounce if you buy a bigger bottle in liquid form.

Or you could just get synthetic motor oil for 5-7 bucks a quart and have lube for YEARS.....
View Quote

but but it is not antivenom.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

but but it is not antivenom.
View Quote

Hey I've got a Strike charging handle and love it, plan to get a couple more when they're back in stock.  But some companies need to stick to what they're good at, and leave the snake-related oils and such (heh) out of it.  $.02
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#15]
My personal experience is fairly limited but I can tell you when in the military we always used CLP for pretty much everything.  Before I got out a few years ago I "acquired" a few bottles of it and a couple LSA that had been sitting around collecting dust for years.  I am not sure who the manufacturer is as I never paid attention to it but will check next time I have a bottle handy.  They are in a clear bottle with a white label and clear plastic wrapped around the side with a straw inside.  I have used this stuff quite a bit and to be honest it doesn't excite me very much nor do I think I will ever be buying any in the future after this is gone.  For some reason I really hate the smell of CLP so don't tend to use it as much anymore.  

When I was younger I mostly used 3in1 oil and it was always pretty good lube I'd put it up there close with CLP, as well as RemOil which wasn't bad either but I believe wore off faster.  I had a partial bottle of that M-Pro 7 awhile back that was gave to me and remember liking it pretty well from the limited use I had.  I'd probably say it is the favorite I have tried to date but I still don't really feel like paying for it considering I generally use Mobil 1 synthetic anymore.  The Mobil 1 works as well as CLP for me and the smell doesn't bother me quite as much.  I actually kind of like the Mobil 1 more then CLP overall as an oil.  I have used both heavier and lighter weights of it and still use both but I think the heavier stuff like 15-50 stays on your gun longer and does a better job.  I really wouldn't mind having a bottle or two of the best oil out there to keep for my primary AR if anything were to hit the fan.  But for range use and all other guns I would still just use Mobil 1 due to cost savings and never having any issues.  

One oddball thing I started doing when in the military is use water when cleaning my gun instead of oil.  A couple old timers would do it and saved a lot of time compared to all of us sitting around scrubbing with CLP trying to get all the residue out.  Our supply guys were pretty picky about how clean they had to be and any residue at all and it would be rejected so a lot of times a good 2-3 hour cleaning wouldn't be enough and some guys would be scrubbing them all day as they had time.  When using water and sometimes a little bit of soap the rifles would clean up much quicker and you could usually have it done in no time.  There would be so many guys acting like you just done something sinful when they see you scrubbing your rifle with soapy water instead of oil.  But as long as you re oil after you are done then I don't see what the problem is.  When your hands get really dirty from shooting all day among other stuff you don't drench them in oil, you use soap and water.  Now when it comes to the civilian world I never use soap and water because I am not that anal about cleaning.  I usually clean my guns fairly well but only spend a few minutes on the important parts and that doesn't include every time I shoot them either.  I have yet to ever have an AR15 rifle jam on me for any reason even when in the military using shitty mags.  I have seen quite a few others jam up though when on the firing line I expect mostly due to getting an old worn out mag.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#16]
brake cleaner... gonna try that.  

only 2.50 a 14oz can at advanced auto

I clean everything else with it... why not.

oh, and I use CLP for my ARs and Mobil 1 synthetic grease for my Garands.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Hate to beat a dead horse but... I bought a Sig the other day and I guess they recommend Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil on their firearms. Do you think it is really that it's better than Breakfree CLP or is it more of a marketing thing? The only tiny gripe I have with CLP is that it kind of runs out of my guns I've noticed. Cleaned and lubed a few days ago and pulled out my Sig to fondle it a bit and noticed there was oil leaking out the side that was down. I didn't think I used THAT much when I oiled it. A few drops here and there and some smeared on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hate to beat a dead horse but... I bought a Sig the other day and I guess they recommend Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil on their firearms. Do you think it is really that it's better than Breakfree CLP or is it more of a marketing thing? The only tiny gripe I have with CLP is that it kind of runs out of my guns I've noticed. Cleaned and lubed a few days ago and pulled out my Sig to fondle it a bit and noticed there was oil leaking out the side that was down. I didn't think I used THAT much when I oiled it. A few drops here and there and some smeared on the barrel.
View Quote

If I were in Wisconsin, knowing the winters there, I'd rather something a bit on the runny side at room temp than on the gummy side at room temp.  Gun oil viscosity as it relates to ambient temperature is no different than automotive oil viscosity as it relates to same.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
CLP- does all, master of NONE. Sucks. Period.
If you are not in combat and watching your ounces, it is absolute trash. Why would you use a product that accells at NOTHING?? If you have the time/space/etc to use the PROPER products... why wouldn't you?
If you're not in combat/on the run/in a zombie apocalypse/etc... and you have access to PROPER products (proper cleaner, proper lube, proper preservative if needed), then why not use them?
I'm so tired of the CLP "because the military uses it" BS. It's garbage and only used because it (sucks) does 3 things in one product (and does all extremely poorly).
It's like saying, "well everyone should use GI issue underwear since it's good enough for the military". Seriously... no. Don't use that garbage unless you HAVE to.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll stick with CLP.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you are not in combat and watching your ounces, it is absolute trash. Why would you use a product that accells at NOTHING?? If you have the time/space/etc to use the PROPER products... why wouldn't you?
If you're not in combat/on the run/in a zombie apocalypse/etc... and you have access to PROPER products (proper cleaner, proper lube, proper preservative if needed), then why not use them?
I'm so tired of the CLP "because the military uses it" BS. It's garbage and only used because it (sucks) does 3 things in one product (and does all extremely poorly).
It's like saying, "well everyone should use GI issue underwear since it's good enough for the military". Seriously... no. Don't use that garbage unless you HAVE to.
View Quote

Why are you so angry? Besides, that's just like, your opinion man.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
The Army didn't always require using a petroleum bore cleaner (especially when they used corrosive primers).  This is from the 1940 M1911 pistol manual:

7. CARE AND CLEANING AFTER FIRING.—

a. When a pistol has been fired the bore will be cleaned thoroughly not later than the evening of the day on which it is fired. Thereafter it will be cleaned and oiled each day for at least the next three succeeding days.

b. To clean the bore after firing, first remove the slide and barrel, insert the muzzle of the barrel in a vessel containing hot water and issue soap, hot water alone, or cold water; the cleaning rod with a cloth patch assembled is inserted in the breech and moved forward and back for about 1 minute, pumping the water in and out of the bore. When the bore is wet, a brass or bronze wire brush, if  available, should be run all the way through the bore, then all the way back three or four times. Water should again be pumped through the bore. Then wipe the cleaning rod dry, remove the barrel from the water, and using dry, clean flannel patches thoroughly swab the bore until it is perfectly dry and clean. Examine the bore carefully for metal fouling.

CAUTION.—After firing do not oil the bore before cleaning.

c. Saturate a clean flannel patch with sperm oil and swab the bore and chamber with the patch, making certain that the bore and all metal parts of the pistol are covered with a thin coat of oil.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have only ever been issued "generic" CLP while in the Army (2001). The past couple of years I would bring in small kits of my own stuff to speed up cleaning which mainly consists of G96 and Hoppes #9.

From my experience on the M4/M4A1 platform, Hoppes #9 cleans up the carbon a lot better with less scrubbing (also used exclusively on my rimfire cans). Can't say if G96 lubes the platform any better than CLP, but it does smell better!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I use BF CLP.  My AR is almost dripping before each trigger time session.
Carbon virtually wipes off.

mm
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like CLP just fine.
My SR15 Mod1 just passed the 4650 round mark without any issues, and it was not cleaned, nor was any lube added after the first initial preparation with CLP.

It is my preferred general purpose oil for lubrication, and it is actually my preferred product for preservation.
It is not as good as other preservative products, but it is good enough for my purpose since I store the guns in my climate controlled safe.
I also like it b/c it is not harsh on the painted finish on some of my guns.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8352/29147970544_451635c3bf_o.jpg
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8078/29693036011_9f35770225_o.jpg
https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8014/29147967054_d858d35e8e_o.jpg
View Quote

you are making my ocd go nutz i would clean that gun for free anytime you come to pa and i would enjoy it those pics are painful
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I actually use this stuff where carbon collects, in the gas key, etc. Carbon comes off easily. Also high bearing areas, 1911 rails, and so forth. better than any petroleum based product I've ever tried.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KH0YDY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

the viscosity stays the same from about -30 to 600. It's not temperature dependent like petroleum based. It's also not messy, it won't stain your clothes, or give you that grungy feeling. At least when it's newly applied. Nor does it run, or harden. And a thin film is virtually a permanent rust protector in storage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the military went with CLP because it's a all-in-one product that cleans and lubes in all temperature ranges. thereby eliminating the need to have several lubricates for a variety of temperature ranges. logistical and dollar wise it makes more sense to have one product then several that can be used in different climatic conditions. it's also something a soldiers can carry one small bottle with him to clean and lube his rifle in the field,  then carrying 2 different products.

it has done the job when I was in the army for better then 15 years when it was introduced in the 1980s, so I'll still use it on my rifles and pistols
View Quote
Thank you for that explanation.

Over the years I have purchased a number of S&W M&P-15 ARs as gifts to my sons (I have no living daughters, so that isn't sexist) as they came of age as well as for my own use.  In the manual that accompanied the rifle, S&W recommended cleaning using a "high quality gun cleaning solvent" followed by lubrication using a "high quality firearms oil".  As it turns out, that is the maintenance recommendation in the manual for every firearm I have ever bought.

I am sure that for its intended purpose as a "one product does it all" substance BreakFree and the other CLPs do a good job.  But, I have always followed the manufacturer's recommendation to use a separate solvent and lubricant and it has always worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just to throw in my 2c which has already been mentioned.....

I've used LSA forever to lubricate and protect and old Hoppes#9 to clean copper fouling.

When Breakfree CLP first came out I tried it, didn't seem to do anything for the copper fouling in your barrel unless you had a brush and scrubbed the crap out of it. With Hoppes, you leave it overnight and it removes the copper.  Oh they hyped the new CLP with all of their new fangled teflon claims and all of that. Also the CLP was just too thin for me, wouldn't stay put, ended up everywhere, you had to keep pouring it on your 1911 pistol in competition, flew everywhere, unacceptable. I went back to LSA in competition shortly after trying CLP.

To make a story short, I'm assuming this new G96 CLP is also too thin to do it all. Sure it met all the military tests and passed with flying colors. So has a lot of other things....

And the G96 price? Not for me.....
View Quote
It's actually not thin at all. It's thicker than Breakfree CLP, at least IMO. It also contains no solvent.

That said, I've tried all the cool guy lubes. Slip 2000 and EWL, Weaponshield, Fireclean, etc and not one of them stayed where they were put after a few weeks. Right now I'm using G96 gun treatment CLP (different than the synthetic CLP, contains solvent) to clean and protect and Cherry Balmz to lube the rails and bolt. It's working really well so far.

To answer the OP, the only one available that I know of is the G96 synthetic gun oil. It's approved and has testing data to prove it. All the others may meet the spec in their own testing but it's not been officially tested and approved.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL dude we know. You already said your opinions on page 1. Man the way you talk about CLP in all these threads, you'd think it slept with your mom and sister at the same time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top