Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2016 12:14:26 PM EDT
Does nobody else use these?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I use rem oil as a quick cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Rem Oil has a reputation for evaporating quickly which is true in my experience.

The aerosol is ok to clean with though I've gone through a couple big cans of it but won't be buying more.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I too use it as a cleaner....not a first choice for a lube though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Rem Oil to wipe down guns. I use Slip2000EWL or grease for lube.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Rem Oil to wipe down guns. I use Slip2000EWL or grease for lube.
View Quote

That Slip 2000 seems to be real popular. I've never tried it. I used to use white lithium grease, then I started using Hoppe's. I'm currently using the Rem Action/Oil and it seems pretty good. I have noticed the Rem Oil doesn't hold up near as long as the lithium grease, but the grease gets a bit gummy at some point. I see a lot of people are using Mobil 1 and other motor oils.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We keep Rem oil around at the range to quickly spray on a dry gun.  It does appear to burn off quick.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I noticed the Rem Oil becomes gummy/sticky....???
I use Lucas now, im going to see if I like that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
REM ACTION CLEAN IS GREAT FOR NASTY BORES.

My bottle dates back to when it was called gold medal someting or other (about 1992) that is how often it is need for cleaning.

over use it and it will round your rifling.

eta best for smooth bore shotguns.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Rem oil on something like a Ruger Mark 2 with small fine parts or the trigger group of a remington 870.
For the Ar rifle I like Breakfree CLP. Slip EWL is a close second.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I use it to wipe some guns down that need it but never use it for lube. It evaporates about 5 sec after you put it on
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not unless nothing else is available.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I use them to clean. The price is right and I have never had any issues. SLIP2000 for lube.

I have yet to buy into the hype on the more expensive products everyone else seems to use.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:52:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Rem oil never impressed me as a lube or cleaner. I just started using Slip2000 and it has already surpassed my expectations. I've shot over 300 rounds through my 10.5" suppressed AR and the bolt still has wet spots on it. It seems to clean very well too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I keep a can of aerosol rem oil in my range bag for convincing sticky parts to work "one more trip" before cleaning. That, and wiping on the barrels to make an awesome smoke show (seriously). It seems slick enough, but like others on this thread I don't really rely on it for long term lubrication.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I've found that Rem oil is a very thin and light oil and evaporates pretty quickly. The Slip 2000 line is a much better alternative for a oil/grease for your AR or any other other firearm.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use and love Rem Oil as a cleaner for all my AR's. Unfirtunately I switched to Breakfree cuz they don't offer Rem Oil in the liquid spray bottle anymore. Big mistake for Remington!

Impala
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deuce,

I useto use the Rem Oil for cleaning and lubing my AR rifles. Fantastic product but since they dropped the squirt bottle version I admit I now use Breakfree product.
I wish they would consider bringing back the squirt bottle and will go back to it in a heart beat.

Impala
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I frequently use Rem oil on my Glocks and I use it on my 870.  Works fine on those.  I've used it on the AR's, too, but mostly Lucas gun oil, CLP, or Mobil 1 5w/20, which really works well and doesn't burn off.

I could get by with just Rem oil, if I had to.  I've got guns that my Dad handed down to me that have had nothing but Rem Oil and they are just fine with no rust.  One is a shot gun purchased for him back around 1938.   I don't know what he used back then, but he always said he used Remington oil.  How similar it was to what is available now is questionable, but I'm 48 and as far back as I can remember, he lubed his guns after cleaning with Rem Oil.  That old H&R shot gun still looks great.  I've also got an early 60's Winchester .22 semi-auto that has had mostly Rem-oil its entire life and it is in perfect condition.

The Rem Oil I mostly use now on the bores of my guns for storage is from a spray bottle that I've only found at Wal Mart.  It is marketed as being a strong rust inhibitor and it has worked fine for me for the last 4 or 5 years.  No rust on any of my guns, and I've not had any lube related malfunctions, either.

Clean your guns frequently and properly and then lube them appropriately, whether for storage or use, and your guns should be fine, with Rem Oil or other mass marketed gun oils.  I've got the proof in my safe.  (I do like a bit thicker oils for the AR's, though, if working them hard.  That's why I've used the Mobil 1 or Lucas gun oil, with Lucas being the current favorite, thanks to the AR being a much more harsh environment for gun lube.)
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I use rem oil as a cleaner and as a preservative.  After I clean my firearms I spray a solid coating of Rem Oil on all the exterior metal parts then put them in the safe. Its great for corrosion protection and storage because the heavy coating evaporates off and leaves a nice even thin coating of protection over ever centimeter of metal on the exterior of the firearm. I use Slip 2000 EWL30 as my lube and to clean my bore/chambers.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top