Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2016 2:42:25 PM EDT
I am finally taking cleaning seriously. I have always used bore snakes myself but I am curious if there is something better?
What do you use? What's your process of cleaning a barrel?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Google "stuck bore snake".  That should tell you plenty.  

If you are serious about wanting a cleaning rod, the one piece is great for the shop and a breakdown rod for the range bag.   I don't see how you can clean a chamber without a rod.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Dewey rods are best.

All other products are competing for second place.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a chamber brush first with plenty of solvent, then brush the bore with more solvent.  Then patches till clean and a very light lube on the final patch.  A big patch will clean the chamber.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using boresnakes for about 10 years and never got one stuck...

That being said, they will never clean the barrel as good as some rods and bronze brushes/patches.

I wet brush a couple of time then dry patch till dry, wet brush, dry patch till dry. repeat till only a light gray.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: If you are serious about wanting a cleaning rod
View Quote

I am serious about wanting to do this right lomg term. I have 6 shotguns, 7 hunting rifles, 4 pistols, & 3 AR's that I want to keep and pass down to my kids eventually. I know I need to take care of them to do that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Go brushless.

WIPE-OUT foam cleaner, followed by a rod+patch.

Done.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go brushless.

WIPE-OUT foam cleaner, followed by a rod+patch.

Done.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Otis ripcords...they're like a boresnkes, only better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
What are the thoughts of Remington Squeeg-E vs Otis?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I like bore snakes and use them at the range and while out hunting on the field. It is very nice to have.

Otis makes something they call a "ripcord" which is very nice. It's included in the military cleaning kit as well and it seems rock solid compared to the bore snakes.

However, I use a Otis cleaning kit to clean my rifles. I like the pull cables when I can but I like the old fashion multi piece rod the best.

Patches, and cotton swabs are really my thing. However, recently I started picking up on using old rags. What I would do is cut off a piece of old rag and use it to clean off dirt, carbon and otherwise once I get back home. Then I use the patches. Seems to save on the more expensive patches.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
One pull of a Boresmake like device will replace multiple patches.  
I am a big fan of Boresnakes as well as Swab-its.

I have been using them for years with zero problems.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#12]
What do we think about the Otis Elite cleaning kit?
Would a rod be better than a pull cord? If so why?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What do we think about the Otis Elite cleaning kit?
Would a rod be better than a pull cord? If so why?
View Quote

A cord and a rod has some pros and cons to it.

The cord has a potential of not having enough force to knock out any debris in the barrel. There were times when a patch came loose on my Otis pull cord and it got stuck in the barrel. I would use a rod to push it out.

As for the rod, the major concern is that a sectional piece could damage your bore or crown. The most common damage on a rifle is that the chamber/crown is damaged due to improper cleaning. This could be resolved by using a bore guide. Also, I was taught to "drop" the rod into the barrel from the chamber end and pull through. Never "push" a section rod through a barrel without a guide as the section areas could scratch or impact the barrel/chamber/crown.

You would really need to push through it though. I would say very rough cleaning to have a impact on the barrel/corwn. A pull cord would minimize any thing no matter how crazily you pull it.

Overall most "military" Otis kits come with both the pull and rod. The "Elite" pack comes with the rod as well. No bore guides though. No matter what you get with Otis though it is pure quality. I recommend the IMOD which are military issued:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379307/military-surplus-i-mod-cleaning-kit-with-multi-tool-grade-1-556mm-223-caliber

The I-MOD comes with the ripcord for 5.56. Basically everything you need to care for your AR15.

Or the deluxe:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/559227/military-surplus-improved-weapons-cleaning-kit-iwck-with-multi-tool-grade-1-black

Which is basically the Otis Elite but in a small military package. These are military surplus issued, so pick it up as the above kits go for 500 dollars if you get it on Otis's website.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#14]
solid brass cleaning rod for me.  works great, is super cheap.
I had a buddy break a bore snake in his barrel and it sucked to get it out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am finally taking cleaning seriously. I have always used bore snakes myself but I am curious if there is something better?
View Quote

I use a bore snake and clp. I have well over 5000 rounds downrange on one rifle and it still shoots as well as day one. 1.5 to 1.8 moa 10 shot groups. It's a chf chrome lined barrel of government profile, and 1.6moa ctc for 10 shots is likely about as good as it ever could be expected to do.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#16]
All I use are boresnakes anymore.  My firearms still work.  That is all.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dewey rods are best.

View Quote

I have the Tipton carbon rods.  The reason is that the Dewey rods I've seen were often bent.

Why do you prefer Dewey.  Serious question.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have the Tipton carbon rods.  The reason is that the Dewey rods I've seen were often bent.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dewey rods are best.

I agree.  The Tipton Deluxe Carbon Fiber Cleaning Rod with 22 to 26 Caliber and 8 x 32 Female Thread Here at Midway USA for $25  is a very nice cleaning rod.  I use the 26 inch, and it is just barely long enough when I clean my 16 inch AR with a bore guide.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Touchy subject. Last time I dropped in here and gave my opinion of bore snakes, I got ran off. LOL!!!!!

Personally, I use bore cleaning foam, followed by a few passes with a rod, jag and patches.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Snakes aren't meant to replace a proper rod.

They are meant to be used as a quick field clean or after firing a small amount of rounds.

I like them for what they're worth, as I use them as intended. I also don't have a gun that has issues with copper fouling and the like.

Always carry a take-down rod for clearing obstructions in the field (keep it in my range bag).

Use a proper rod when you're at home and need a detailed cleaning or have a precision rifle that requires it.

It's an option, not a be-all-end-all.

ETA: dalle, the otis .mil kits do not contain enough rod sections to clean a rifle barrel. At least the NSN that we have. Not sure why they have like 3 small sections in them that can't do the job. The kits are also incapable of clearing an obstruction thanks to this. For actual cleaning I find them quite useful though. Especially the multical kits. Mine does .22, .30, .357, .40, .45, and 12. All in the one neat package.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
It varies between bore snake and rod. But I haven't cleaned a gun without a boresnake in two years. And then only twice. My guns are dirtier than they should be.......
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#22]
If you're serious about cleaning thoroughly, then you need a one piece rod and a bore guide.  Never pull the brush back through the barrel, instead you push the brush through, unscrew from rod, pull rod back through, reattach brush, repeat.

I prefer the Tipton carbon fiber rod.  It won't damage a barrel and is plenty stiff.  The bearings in the handle are nice.  

I use a Wheeler ar 15 bore guide, although any of them would work well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dewey rods are best.

Dewey never gave me a reason to change. That said, Bore-snakes in my range bag.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I use Tipton carbon fiber rods, but would have no problem if my only cleaning option for the rest of my life was snakes.  If you do use snakes, please remember that they need to be cleaned too.  A good soak in mineral spirits followed by a rinsing under the sink and then a trip through the washing machine with your laundry is how to properly service one.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Bore snakes for everything I own.

I have rods, brushes, and patches.

I almost never use them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I like the Ripcord better than the boresnake.

Both ends of the Ripcord have a threaded brass tip.
You can attach an Otis T-handle and or cable pull to either end and put a bronze brush on the opposite end.

I run a very wet solvent patch down the bore and let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then several passes with a rip cord pulling a bronze brush.
Then a wet patch again and several pulls without the brush.

Clean as a whistle.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Since this old topic is back to life I will update. I ended up burying a OTIS kit. Pulling brass brushes and patches to keep my barrels clean.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Bore snake only. Havn't used a rod in years-pistol or rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
There is no wrong choice.

For me I use boresnakes for a quick cleaning before putting back in the safe. When I want to thoroughly clean my guns I use rods, brushes and patches.

I have used Hoppes for years as did my father who taught me.

My method is to brush a couple passes then a patch with solvent. Let it sit for 10-15 mins and then I run dry patches until they are just coming out light gray. Then I repeat the process. I do this until I am satisfied. Then I run a patch soaked in oil followed by a dry patch. I then wipe the exterior with Hoppes and dry with a rag followed by a wipe down with oil. I am 53 and I have my grandfather's shotgun, and .22 rifle plus my grandmother's S&W .22 cal revolver. They did this, then my father and now me. These guns look great with no rust and they are 70-80 years old.

Due to all the love online I recently tried Wipe-out but so far I am not impressed. In all fairness I only tried it once with the straw and it foamed up and made a huge mess on my bench but only the first 1/3 of the barrel had any foam in it.

I was talking to a friend the other day who starts his cleaning ritual with warm soapy water and a nylon bore brush. Then he goes to bore solvent and obviously oil after. I might try it on one gun to see if it really is faster and does a more through job.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I just use a bore snake. I soak the brush part in Hoppe's no.9 solvent, and the fat part in Hoppe's gun oil. My AR has a chrome-lined barrel, and one pass with the bore snake produces what looks like a mirror-clean barrel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#33]
For a really good cleaning, rod/brush/jag/patch will always do the best job. I use bore snakes when my OCD tells me I must clean my rifle because I've shot it. Some CLP sprayed in the bore and left to work for 5 - 10 minutes, followed by 3-4 passes with a clean (or pretty clean) dry bore snake and I'm happy with that part.

When I want a good cleaning it's CLP or bore solvent left to work for 30 minutes or so, followed by a 9 or 10 passes with brush, then a patch on a jag until they come out clean. Usually 7-8 patches. If it's extra dirty, I might spray some Brake Cleaner down the bore after the brushing. Then a patch with oil to stay in the bore. I run a dry patch before I shoot it again. And I always use a bore guide. Not only does it keep the rod centered in the bore, it also prevents the dirty solvents from running back into the action. Sometimes you need to adjust this procedure a bit if you've got excessive lead or copper fouling. You'll figure that part out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#34]
If I was interested in buying a Tipton Carbide rod which one would I get for a 556?

Thanks,

Chap
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's like asking: Rifle Vs Pistol?

Both! Lol

A bore snake is %90 as clean but only 1/5th the size and weight of a rod kit.

However, a rod will do a chamber and locking lugs better.

Though depending on your cleaning tools you can clean locking lugs with cotton cloth sometimes

Rod is your primary, boresnake is your backup (and plenty of cotton cloths for both)
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I was interested in buying a Tipton Carbide rod which one would I get for a 556?

Thanks,

Chap
View Quote

If you are referring to the diameter, get .22 caliber.  If you are referring to the length, a 36in will clean up to a 20in barrel.

I have both Tipton and Dewey rods.  I like the Dewey a little better.  They seems just a little smoother and better made.  I use the nylon coated Dewey.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I use both the bore snake for a quick clean after shooting and Tipton rod for a good cleaning.  I recently purchased my first 300 Blackout upper and purchased a 308 bore snake.  I was disappointed that the 308 bore snake when pulled through the chamber was loose and don't think the brushes even came in contact with the bore. I read that others were having the same problem so I ordered a Hoppes .338-.340 bore snake.  I knew I was taking a chance it may get stuck but gave it a try last night and it worked great.  The 338 bore snake was snug but pulled through with no problem.  I could also feel the brushes coming in contact with the bore as I pulled it through.  Just thought I would pass this on to others that have a 300 blackout and have the same problem with the 308 bore snake.

Russ
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I use a USGI 2 pc steel rod on all my .22s.
Boresnakes on everything else.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top