Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2016 1:53:29 PM EDT
I'm looking for an efficient/repeatable process/methodology for cleaning my ARs. I can always get them cleaned and lubed, but I just feel like my process is scattered and time-consuming, and I haven't naturally improved on this since I probably only clean them every 500 rounds or so.

So . . . TL;DR, if you have a methodology/process list of what you do in the steps you do it, would you mind sharing?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for an efficient/repeatable process/methodology for cleaning my ARs. I can always get them cleaned and lubed, but I just feel like my process is scattered and time-consuming, and I haven't naturally improved on this since I probably only clean them every 500 rounds or so.

So . . . TL;DR, if you have a methodology/process list of what you do in the steps you do it, would you mind sharing?

Thanks!

View Quote

Every round.  One round, clean, fire again and clean again, rinse repeat...

Just kidding.

I clean at 500 rounds. I start with the lower and work my way up, the barrel is the last thing I clean before reassembling and then I wipe down the gun.  If it is going to be stored, I may use a little more oil than usual.  I use Hoppe's for almost all my cleaning needs (it smells like freedom) except for Fireclean, which I use on my frequently-fired guns.

Anyway, wipe/brush with cleaning agent, oil parts that need oil, remove buildup, clean barrel, reassemble, and wipe down.

I also use an old toothbrush when I brush (if brushing is needed) I found years ago, it had to have been mine when I was a kid.  Has a little suction cup at the base which is very handy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
there is no right or wrong way to clean a firearm, ie.  this part first before this part . you disassemble it and start cleaning, the end result is it got cleaned.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there is no right or wrong way to clean a firearm, ie.  this part first before this part . you disassemble it and start cleaning, the end result is it got cleaned.
View Quote

He's right.  Rushing will only make you forget something or screw something up.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot a few hundreds rounds through it, put the ultra long dewey rod with black nylon brush on it and cut off handle in my drill, set to maximum speed, and spin it through the bore a few times. Every now and then I'll throw the bolt carrier group into the ultra sonic cleaner with a bunch of lemishine to get off the carbon deposits. You could spend all the time in the world on this stuff so you have to decide how much that little bit of MOA is worth to you. That said, this is with M193 or other clean burning 5.56mm ammo. If you're shooting Wolf, you'll look like this guy before you're done.

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I clean mine every six months whether it needs it or not.

Seriously, every couple hundred rounds, I use Break Free CLP (which I bought gallons of years ago) for all the cleaning and lubricating.

I start with the lower using a toothbrush, rags, q-tips, etc. and then proceed to the upper, doing the chamber and barrel last. Sometimes I use a Dewey one piece rod and sometimes I just use a bore snake.

Every so often I will clean off the bolt with a carbon removal tool.

Honestly, I have run my AR's pretty dirty at times and they seem to keep on ticking as long as I have them adequately lubed.

It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not rocket-science or brain surgery.

In my gun room I keep a box of ripped T-shirts, plus socks and underwear with holes in them.

First I wipe everything down with a rag from the box to remove excess lube and fouling.

Then I spray WIPE OUT Brushless Cleaner into the bore, and let it sit.

Everything else I spray with Breakfree CLP, and use Q-Tips, a tooth brush, and for stubborn carbon build up on the bolt a Scotch-Brite Scouring Pad.  Wipe it down again, and then use my fingers to re-apply TW25B grease to the BCG.

Then, take a rod and run a few patches down the bore to remove the excess WIPE OUT.

Reassemble, done.

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Every range trip I run a boresnake through them a few times. Then wipe the BCG off and lube it before putting it away. After a few trip or when I am in the mood I do a deep clean and inspection. I disassemble the BCG and clean. I wipe and scrub everything. Then replace anything that looks worn or just not right.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everybody!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top