Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2016 9:22:34 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I just purchased my first rifle and am going to the range this weekend. I was curious - should I do a lubing of the gun before the first use? I only ask because I read that this style of gun (Daniel Defense DDM4V11) likes to run "wet", but it's been in the store for an unknown period of time and when I broke it down for a look around it doesn't seem very "wet".

Just curious if you have any thoughts.

Thanks for any insight.

Brandon
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, run it wet.   Particularly the bolt and bolt carrier group.

Here's a link to a diagram

https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=548967

Welcome to arfcom, and black rifle disease.  The only cure is to buy more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a new rifle.  Tear it down and give it a good cleaning paying particular attention to the chamber and barrel so you get all the old packing lube removed.  Now lube everything up good and go shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]
clean/inspect/lube
then shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much guys!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
And make sure you CHECK YOUR BARREL--I recently picked up an upper from a pretty big name supplier that had numerous shims to time up the muzzle device---A couple of them had been deformed to the point they actually obstructed part of the muzzle opening.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Any oil you find on the gun from the factory is just a rust preventative. Clean it and lube it. If you want to make it simple, get a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner and an aerosol can of lube. Break Free CLP, or G96 are fine. Spray everything out with the brake cleaner, then just hose everything down with the oil. Put the bolt group back in, load, and shoot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 3:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]
My advice is not to worry about lube points, yet. At least not until you cleaned your rifle a couple of times.

If you buy CLP, just rub it all over as best as you can inside the upper, all over the bolt and carrier, and using a patch soak the inside of the barrel. Let it sit for a while (like 5-10 minutes) then wipe it down lightly (as in don't try to wipe everything bone dry). Then simply reassemble and go shoot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil on my guns. I've been quite pleased with the results
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the site

Yes, absolutely run it wet. especially for break-in.

Cheers!
-JC
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top