Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2016 8:17:16 PM EDT
Put 80 rounds down the pipe on Friday.  Cleaned this afternoon.  50 rounds were Tula the new grey tip.  Jacketed with whatever they use.  They say it is steel.

Ran a nylon brush, soaked with g96.  Dry patched until clean patches came out.  Put some more g96, black again.  Dry patched until clean.  Brushed....put some Ballistol down the barrel.  Dry patched until clean.  Ballistol again.  Black.

I must have done 40 runs down the barrel.  Black.  Should have been cleaned by now.  Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
How about some info on what barrel you have boss......don't have a crystal ball.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W M&P ar15.  Tactical model.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the brush you're running down the barrel clean?
Or do you keep depositing crud in it with the brush?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Brush is clean.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#5]
try hoppes powder solvent or breakfree.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Brush it three dry strokes with a bronze brush.

Squirt a liberal amount CLP down the bore.

Pull three patches down the bore.

Do this every weekend until you earn your Distinguished Rifleman badge.

At least that's how I did it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quit worrying about it.  Run your cleaning routine down the barrel once or twice and let it be.  You are wasting time for no real results - you can do that routine a hundred times and something will come out on the patches.  Think about all those innocent patches your are wasting !
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, unless it is caked on you're GTG.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
G96 is pretty good stuff, so I don't think it's a failure of your CLP. Sounds like you should be using a bronze brush, Nylon brushes don't get into the rifling as well and can leave fouling behind.
Most CLP type fluids don't touch copper fouling ( Ballistol does, but very, very weakly), you might have layered jacket and powder fouling in your bore. Foaming bore cleaner (the kind that turns blue with copper) or Shooters Choice MC7 might be a better choice to get the stubborn stuff out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 Anyone have any ideas?
View Quote

Buy a BoreSnake.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy a BoreSnake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Anyone have any ideas?

Buy a BoreSnake.

No just no please stop !!!

Would you wipe with used toilet paper ? No of course not ! Then why would you use a bore snake that's already soiled ?

The only way I would use a bore snake would be if it was cleaned after each and every use . Using it multiple times is just tracking shit back through your barrel .
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the advice.  I think I am indeed to worried about the new rifle.  LOL  I g96'ed it twice and Ballistol'ed it twice more.  The wet patches still come out black.  Two dries and the second is white. But if I wet it again it is black.  Drivin' me nuts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Would you wipe with used toilet paper ? No of course not ! Then why would you use a bore snake that's already soiled ?

The only way I would use a bore snake would be if it was cleaned after each and every use . Using it multiple times is just tracking shit back through your barrel .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Anyone have any ideas?

Buy a BoreSnake.

I let cleaner soak for a minute, pull a brush through once or twice, then pull the snake through.

I always end with an oily patch that always comes out clean.

If the patch didn't come out clean, I would see where you're coming from.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#14]
i have a colt csr that is not chrome lined it takes a lot of patches before they come out clean.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buy a BoreSnake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Anyone have any ideas?

Buy a BoreSnake.

What ^^^^ said
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I have just recently "discovered bore snakes".

I enjoy cleaning my guns. So my new regimen is I run the bore snake through 3 times and on pass 3 I hit snake with some oil. Then I wipe down BCG and lube.

Every 3-4 range trips I do a deep clean. I start with 3 trips with bore snake then go to patches until clean. I disassemble th BCG and clean and inspect all the parts. I spray out the lower with Gun Scrubber and lube the trigger. Then I reassemble and lube.

For now ARs get Slip2000EWL and mil-surfs get lubed with any of the other gun oils I have in small bottles. Once I run out of other oils I will stick with Slip2000.

I use Hoppes to clean.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't worry so much about it.

I just use a Otis ripcord with a brass brush on the end and run it 10 times down the bore, followed by one pass of the ripcord without brush and call it good.

Anything else won't hinder accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
If you keep adding oil, then it will always come out black each time you pass a patch. Also mixing CLP is never a good idea. While the oil and protection will stay, the cleaner/solvent properties will likely conflict and you'll get a really sticky mess. It's best to stick with one brand of CLP. It's okay to "switch" CLP from one session to the next but it is never okay to mix them together at the same time.

G96 is a military grade CLP. As such, the way I was taught was to first take a patch, soak it a little with CLP, run it down the barrel once. Then using a bronze brush pass it through a few times along with the chamber bronze brush, then set it aside. Clean the rest of the gun with the CLP.

Then come back to the barrel. I usually clean the chamber area first with a qtip/pipe cleaner, then using 1 patch I pass through the barrel. It'll come out dirty but you keep passing clean patches (replacing once you pass through) until one comes out clean or nearly clean. Once that happens take a new patch and soak it lightly with CLP then pass it once through the barrel.

You are now good to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never been able to get patches perfectly clean.  

You'll always have a little bit of fouling that's pulled out.  It's not a problem at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've never been able to get patches perfectly clean.  

You'll always have a little bit of fouling that's pulled out.  It's not a problem at all.
View Quote

+1
I like to keep my guns clean, and find myself occasionally determined to get a totally clean patch.  Have never done it.  Dry ones will come out real clean, but then put some Hoppe's 9 or CLP and it'll come out grey again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're shooting Tula I wouldn't worry so much about how clean the barrel is
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]
i can't remember the last time i ran a brush and patches down an AR15 chrome lined or nitrided barrel. i have close to 5000 rounds through a LWRC that still shoots 1 MOA with razor core and its never seen a brush.

isnt a barrel self cleaning? i mean everytime a bullet goes down the tube its pushing shit out.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i can't remember the last time i ran a brush and patches down an AR15 chrome lined or nitrided barrel. i have close to 5000 rounds through a LWRC that still shoots 1 MOA with razor core and its never seen a brush.

its a barrel self cleaning? i mean everytime a bullet goes down the tube its pushing shit out.

View Quote
Use an ammonia based copper solvent, you'll learn the truth.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its a barrel self cleaning? i mean everytime a bullet goes down the tube its pushing shit out.

ya...i think i know where your coming from but if i remove all the copper fouling, won't that change my POI? and then i would have to shoot it back in?

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes. It will change your POI.
You should remove the fouling when your groups are starting to loose their nice shape.
Then you will need to wait for a new fouling to have nice groups again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry, but if you want it to be perfectly clean and never get dirty.  Stop shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#27]
How about telling us how it's shooting instead of obsessing over patches?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#28]
You only fired 80 rounds.  Why are you so worried about cleaning the barrel?  I haven't even disassembled one of my suppressed SBRs in nearly 2k rounds.  Stop worrying about it and shoot the darn thing.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top