Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2016 5:37:37 PM EDT
hey guys, i picked up a Night Force scope, scope is in great condition but it has been painted with Krylon. i want to remove the paint but obviously do not want to damage scope and make a very expensive mistake.

i have used Citristrip on guns before and it works great, would carefully applying it and wiping it off the scope work? any other preferred methods?

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Try using acetone on a small area.  I've cleaned a Leupold VX-111 that was painted flat green for camo.  Acetone is inexpensive in pint cans at Wally World.  -Ed
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the body of the scope anodized aluminum? I've gone to TOWN before on a painted lower with acetone and a brass brush and it didn't damage it at all.

If you have nail polish remover at home it's often acetone and would be plenty to strip a scope.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I used a non-toxic biodegradable graffiti remover I got from Home Depot to remove Aerove paint from a Trijicon Accupoint and it worked great. No damage to the scope, not even the rubber.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Just another Acetone comment. It removes a lot of paints, including most of the good ones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
This is the stuff I use on optics.

It's not as fast as some paint removers (the kind that'll burn your skin), but it doesn't risk damage to rubber seals and such.  Spray it on and let it soak.  If it dries up, spray on some more.  Then go at it with a stiff bristled toothbrush.  If you get to much paint residue all over, rinse the optic off in the sink then re-spray it.  It'll take a few hours, but it'll work.

It took my VCOG from looking like this:

to looking like this:

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to cover the glass extremely well to avoid splashing them and affecting the coating on the glass.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top