Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 5:44:37 PM EDT
Buffer sprigs get compressed during use and need to be replaced.  What is the minimum length a buffer spring should be for:

A) Carbine Length Buffer System (collapsible stock)?

B) Rifle (A2) Length Buffer System (fixed stock)?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for this.  My rifle length spring is 15" long.  It actually broke my buffer retainer detent....
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Amazing that these images are still floating around out there after all these years. I probably made that a decade ago.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Amazing that these images are still floating around out there after all these years. I probably made that a decade ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So many of us are very grateful for your efforts!  :)   Hope they stay decades more!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
At what point does it need replacing? I have a few AR's that are 4+ years old & have thousands of rds & they work just fine. I have replacement springs but I don't seem to need to replace them.  I rarely take out the buffer or spring.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for this.  My rifle length spring is 15" long.  It actually broke my buffer retainer detent....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The given specs apply to mil-spec springs.
What kind of spring do you have?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At what point does it need replacing? I have a few AR's that are 4+ years old & have thousands of rds & they work just fine. I have replacement springs but I don't seem to need to replace them.  I rarely take out the buffer or spring.
View Quote

when its below the min spring length?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top